Rods for casting long range

Enigma

Guys I cannot respond on rods I have no experience on or have not used.

Some I have used and cannot comment on.

Silence is is BETTER than B/S speculation.

I am luckily going out this week with a distributor, the SA Carp Angling Champ, 2 of my Provincial Angling mates, some R&S casters to test new prototypes to select new rods for 2015/16 and to measure perfomance of the Custom against off the shelf and some of my own Concept freshwater rods.

The reults will be posted in fishing mags once the rods are ready for launch.

Eina shoulders and index fingers tomorrow night.

TER$IU$

Enigma- on the dc 180's...I found it to be a little bit stiff still...between the 2 tips can one custemize the tips for even better capabilities?

Enigma

No unfortunately not, they are for maximum distance casting and work on the principle of high speed recovery for long ranges.

I will try see which tips fit them but I'm sure the Oval DC tip fits them and the Oval DC has a nice tip for playing fish.

TER$IU$

Enigma thank you , Now I want to ask you this please assist me... I am 1.85m...Basically the waft raging bull is to stiff for me , The Dc180's is very nice but I find it's just that little bit to stiff also using the 40t tip...I ave about 125m... I have spoken to Oom Johan regarding this & he reconds a 12ft is better for me...So Now... 1) Do I buy his Matrix rods(12ft) or 2) go for another custom builder called Kosie Cordier- he ships blanks from Australia...3) what can you offer me?

Enigma

Kosie (aka Rian Cordier) buys the blanks from me. Good blank and is softer than the DC

Oom Johan's MAtrix is the 12' G2 T53 and T24 Tip from Blue Marlin

I'm EINA today after doing over 150 casts with 9 different rods today (You'll see all the results in the media over the next few months leading up to next season and as it is decided which of the Prototypes will see the light as rods)

Once again different strokes for different folks. Some of the rods that I disliked and got no useable distances Philip loved and sent a 3oz out over 190m with and others he just didn't like fitted Mark like a Glove and he was getting awesome distances.

Enigma

Ok time to bring back Context again

We're on page 17 and I'm sure some have joined in again late.

Distance fishing and Extreme range fish are 2 different things.

So. What is a long distance and good distance for a fishing rod for producing consistent good fishing results. That would be fishing with a M0 and a Bol at a consistent 115-125m

Log range casting and extreme range casting is putting a baited rig out beyond 160m (sometimes well beyond that) Rods capable of doing this will never be NICE fishing rods. They are most often Hard and dead and skill, drag and luck is needed with these rods to land fish.

Enigma

Rods that provide the ability to consitenetly and accuratley fish 115-125m with an M0 would be:

Raging Bull and RB II
Blue Marlin G2 12' and 13' (Terminator Mach III, Matrix, CDS G2)
Oval DC, DC and DC lites

We had a Facebook user voice his concern on having the DC Lite and not able to cast over 115m with a M1.5 and Bol with a Shimano Baitrunner and Platinum Plus 0.18mm line.

We invited him to Join us and after his first Demo cast we identified his mistake. His next 4 casts all measured 130m. Being a Fris young man we got him to nail the cast and he recorded 155m with the 12' DC lite (with M1.5 and Bol with a Shimano Baitrunner and Platinum Plus 0.18mm line.)

He made a few casts with one of our 13' DC lites and I am sure will be buying a 13' sooner rather than later.

Consistent accurrate casting at a GOOD distance is more important in 99% of cases than haphazard cast 15m further.

Mark made 20 casts with the DC Lite 13', Shimano XTRA, 0.16mm line and 0.35mm leader and M00 (10gr)......Every single cast measured 121m with 2 at 125m, This is the reason he was 2nd and 3rd overall at the last 2 SA Champs. He then did the casts with the 13'G2 and got exactly the same results.

When he wants to go very far.... out with his 14' Alpha Tackle 3 piece Surf Rods and he puts a 4oz weight with small bol down at 191-194m 15 out of 17 casts with 1 in the 180's and 1 at 197m.

Same weights on a 13' Lite gets him 171m. Fishing a 14' High Performance Surf Rod is not fun with a 0.8 hook and a big weight dragging behind a small hook.

HOWEVER if the fish are not there where he is casting with the DC but they are there where the 14' is casting then you adapt and catch a fish.

adriaan375

Hi there do you want to sell the old rods I'm interested but I can't afford to pay for new rods so I am trying to get the best I can get becouse I'm a reputable angeler attending many compatitions and pro mania tournaments but with my rods I can't even pass 80m normally I'm fishing at 40m worked yesterday caught 60 carps on 7 hours but in competition I don't even pass the 10 fish mark at all

Attachments

• IMG-20160117-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20160117-WA0004.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 448

Enigma

What rods are you currently using?

We occasionally have old rods but there are some really good, budget options out there.

Enigma

fishing on your own at 60m is fine but fishing in a comp where there is direct pressured on the fish from all sides and a lot of noise on the bank, you're very seldom going to hold them at 60m and the guys just make a kol deeper than you and you'll hardly ever beat them.

adriaan375

Yes that's true and that's why I would love to but someone's old 2nd hand rods so I can compete in competition angeling it's really a great dream for me to practice and become one of the best but like you know one needs distance and accuracy with my salary I won't ever be able to make my dreams come true to get paid to angle as I don't have any qualifications and no its not because I don't want to study I have tried home schooling evening classes but every time I fail with a few marks so as you know I will be remaining a mashiene driver underground for the rest of my working life and it hurts the body and is extremely bad towards my health I am 31 and I'm still living with my parents so now you know what my problem is are there any way for you to arrange for a sponsorship from any big angeling company or even just if you know of guys who have older rods and reels that they don't use anymore and that they just might want to sell it it would be a perfect deal I'll do my best to get the cash to buy the stuff please I don't mean to beg or scam or anything bad I'm just a honest man

Hugor

Hi Guys

I am in the market to buy two new rods as a present for my dad. He is turning sixty and he fishes at lease 2 to 3 times a month (league club competitions etc.). He has fished with my beastmasters and quite enjoys them. I can get beastmasters for about R1600 a piece 13ft 3,5 lbs. I spoke to him and by the sounds is he does not want the DC Ovals.

Is there any other type of rods that i should consider? I see Shimano has discontinued the beastmaster range. The tribal is a bit to stiff for my Dads liking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated thanks.   

adriaan375

Waft Bullet Proof and waft Bullet Proof 2 rods bullet proof will sell for around 3700 and bullet proof 1300 each with shimano 6000 or 10000 reels yes they are pretty pricey but trust me they are the best and if you want to sell the old rods I'll be interested mail me adriaan375@gmail.com

Ortaega

Is there a huge difference between the Rocket oval 13' and the okuma tournament pro 13' rods.

I currently own the okuma tournament pro 13' rods, but I'm not the best caster at the moment. Will practice some more shortly.

Just wondered if it was worth the money to upgrade to the rockets in the future.

Enigma

Yes most definitely a very big difference. The Oval Rocket is a very hard rod and prefers bigger weights for casting.

It's not every one's cup of tea but if it suits your style it'll be your go to rod.

The Tournament Pro rods have been discontinued (BTW)

Ortaega

Thank you Enigma,

I have one F2532-22 & one F2532-22N both 13' and almost a year old sofar getting between 90m - 110m distance casting with a M2 and bomb but not yet constantly. Still trying to sort this out.

Didnt know about the rods being discontinued, is thre any specific reason. I have seen some on sale but not allot.

Dunno if I should keep what I have or upgrade them, my budget would be between R800 - R900 a rod unfortunately else the wife will make me regret it.:?

Enigma

Sensation as you know have a very extensive and top quality range of carp rods in terms of performance and quality.

They acquired All the Akals product ranges which includes the Loomis rods, Elbe and Okuma, To this end they did a survey on duplications and redundancy.

You can only keep so many models and variants and with the exchange rates the way they are they had to seriously budget as to what should be spent where etc, etc. So there are the driving.favtora as to what.decisions were made and why, that I have no idea but it was surely based on product ranges, priorities and economic factors.

Having 2 different models.is never a good idea, I would possibly recommend that you see which of the 2 models.best suits you and try find a matching partner for that rod.

For R800-900 with the way.prices have spiked you're not going g to get new rods that.perform on the same level at the same price.