[u]Part 1[/u] Friday night after work my driver

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Part 1

Friday night after work my driver and I hit the 9 hour drive from Tana to Mahajunga, beer in hand with some good tunes on the radio we were treated to an incredible sunset; it looked like the sky was painted!

P3120315.jpg
   

 

Have had a tiring past week trying to recover from last Sunday’s fishing trip and some further late nights making up more wind-on leaders and assist hooks and still did not sleep on the road trip as I had to keep an constant vigil on my driver, I asked him if they had noted any abnormal condition in his recent medical check-up as I said I know for a fact that his accelerator foot is made of lead: after a while he finally registered what I said and slowed down for about 5 minutes.

 

I had noted on my tide chart that low tide was around 09h00 in the morning with high at around 16h00 so I knew that the morning jig session would be good for the first hour of light and would slow down further into the morning; 2[suP]nd[/suP] drop I hooked up with a nice AJ that looked like it had been seriously mauled by a Dog Tooth Tuna and next couple of drops resulted in a barracuda cutting off one of my new Turkey Slider R2S jigs.

 

Early morning AJ action; check how his head was mauled…

P3130318.jpg


 

Lost this beast on the S517F…

P3130319.jpg


 

Decided to concentrate on the 30-60 depth zones for this trip, but from 08h00 to 09h00 the only action was 2 very good fish lost so we moved out to 100m mark. There were some fairly good readings on the 100m mark and found this spot that went from 60m dropping down to 120m and back up to 75m over a very short distance which produced some good sized Rosy Job fish and the odd AJ. All the fish that I caught at this spot were full of small anchovy type baitfish which for me was unusual at that depth; this also made me think that my choice to put on a smaller 200g River2Sea Sea Rock was a good one as I was having constant action during this normally slow time of the day.

 

R2S Sea Rock 200g…

P3140377.jpg


 

It is really tiring jigging on your own as there is no time for a break, if you don’t create a ruckus down there no fish is going to be interested in your shiny piece of lead; at one point I thought that if some sane (non jigging type) person had to see me they would seriously consult the Health Authority to have me put away in the mental asylum – drop, jig, jig, faster, faster, jig side stab left, jig side stab right, jig even faster, pause with little jigs in between (this is crucial, many strikes occur at this time), jig fast up, fast up, side stab left, side stab right, wham, ZZZZ, zzzzzzz, ouch groin pain ……totally nuts I tell you!

 

I used to skipper commercial squid boats during my study vacations and worked 4 lines at a time with a 4oz metal jig on the bottom with a floater about a meter up and the jigging action was exactly the same; if you just throw your dolly out there and let it sink with a few slow twitches they aren’t going to touch it, but jig it like mad varying the action on all lines and they attack it big time – the guys that worked their lines would catch 3 to 4 times as much as those that did not, so you gotta work that jig.

 

Shimano Blue Rose S517f in action…

P3140376.jpg
 

 

Yellow Spot Trevally…

P3140379.jpg
 

 

P3140380.jpg
 

 

Tile Trevally…

P3140374.jpg


 

P3140375.jpg
  

 

More Tile Trevally…

P3130350.jpg
    

 

Bonnie on the popping rod…

P3130348.jpg
  

 

If any of you have a problem of catching too many bonito on your fly rod I have the perfect solution for you; I will just lend my fly rod to you and they will never come near your boat again…the freaking things were almost jumping in the boat last weekend and now that I had my fly rod on the boat they wouldn’t come within 80m of the boat!!

 

GT….

P3130347.jpg
  

 

Bludger Trevally…

P3130345.jpg
  

 

Horse Eye Trevally….

P3130344.jpg
 

 

And another….

P3130342.jpg


 

More GT…

P3130343.jpg
  

 

AJ…

P3130323.jpg
 

 

Something or another??..

P3130336.jpg
 

 

Nice grouper taken on a leadhead and GS1 plastic…

P3130322.jpg
  
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Part 2

From 09h00 to 13h00 I suffered big time as it was about 33° C with no wind at all and non-stop jigging in 100m of water having to really work it to entice a strike is not easy going but so addictive that you can’t stop; the key is to stay hydrated and I polished off about 4 liters of water in no time at all.

 

Ruby Snapper….

P3130341.jpg
  

 

My personal favorite, the AJ….

P3130340.jpg
 

 

Rosy Job putting some serious hurt to the groin…

P3130339.jpg
  

 

P3130338.jpg
 

 

Another Ruby from 100m…

P3130332.jpg
 

 

P3130333.jpg
 

 

Early afternoon the deep had taken it’s toll me so we moved back to the shallow spots with the rising tide and immediately noted the change in the readings on the fish finder; I was hooked up from the first drop and had adrenalin rushing jigging for the next 4 hours catching a variety of Caranx species – my skipper has called this spot “the GT collection point” with Horse eye, GT, Tile Trevally, Yellow Spot Trevally, Bludger Trevally and others coming up for ID parade, I probably lost twice the number of fish caught so I had a hectic afternoon session.

 

The GT collection point…

P3140381.jpg
  

 

P3140378.jpg
  

 

At about 16h30 I was just too tired to carry on jigging and my groin was taking some serious heat so we decided to call it a day and headed to the lagoon to set up camp.

 

Small green job, last fish for the day on jig…

P3140391.jpg
 

When we arrived at the lagoon the tide was high, but just starting to go out, with about 30minutes of light left Louis suggested that we have a go for River snapper as I had not yet caught one at our camp site. Mmmmm thought I had packed in fishing for the day but shouldered the graph-cast 1, loaded a 135g red/white Halco Roosta popper and fired off a shot just on the edge of the deep hole near the middle of the lagoon only to be totally molested but a huge GT on the second turn of the reel handle; flipping thing went berserk frothing the water to a foam and tore off a good 30m before straightening the hooks!

 

2[suP]nd[/suP] cast same story, but no hook-up. 4[suP]th[/suP] cast and this red bus comes exploding out the water with my popper down it’s throat, I just started laughing – how can I have such an awesome day jigging only to be at the camp site experiencing out-of-this-world popping. After a relatively short fight I was holding the biggest River Snapper I have ever caught (I totally horsed him as I needed to pitch my tent and had not time for games), Stella 8000FA and a Graph-cast 1 is one weight category above his fighting class so he had no chance.

 

Hand to hand combat with the River snapper…

P3130358-1-1.jpg
  

 

Beauty river snapper (excuse the dork photo of me, but I had show this pick) …

P3130362.jpg
 

 

P3130357.jpg


 

Down the hatch…

P3130356.jpg
  

 

2[suP]nd[/suP] River Snapper…

P3130352.jpg
  

 

P3130355.jpg


 

6[suP]th[/suP] cast and same story as the 4[suP]th[/suP], man those river snapper are angry fish; came flying out of the water with its tail thrashing – this fish was much the same size as the first.

Couple of casts later and a nice barracuda came to the boat followed by a buddy barracuda that was swimming right next to him. Fortunately I crush the barbs on all my hooks so I just slacked the line and let him shake the lure loose. While I was fighting the barracuda I hear this “twack” next to the boat and look up in the air only to see a freaking huge king mackerel about freaking 10m up in the sky…..shiiiiit what’s happening in this place!!

 

Barracuda and buddy…

P3130363.jpg


 

After the barracuda action it was time to set up camp and I saw another 3 or 4 king mack’s doing the same style aerial combat maneuvers; I will be back there on Easter weekend with my family for a camping trip and am going to nail those buggers with live bait and some light rods.
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Part 3

It don’t matter that this Pop Eye fish (that’s what I call it as they always come up like that) wont survive as they are the best tasting fish that I have caught here and we always put them on the camp fire – Mudcrab, help me out with a name here...
P3130324.jpg


After falling unconscious in my tent I woke up at 03h30 and we headed back out to the jigging grounds 25 kilometers out where the drop-off is and had some good action until about 09h00 with the first fish of the morning again an AJ that pulled the Blue Noodle big time and some other Trevally’s at the “GT Collection Point”. Those Tile Trevally are like a cross between a Bludger and a Horse-eye and they pull like hell.

Blue Rose S517F in action…
P3140383.jpg


1st AJ of the Morning…
P3140367.jpg


Tile Trevally…
P3140384.jpg


Top profile of a Tile Trevally, its tail scutes are really wide and sharp…
P3140385.jpg


Also caught another one of those Black AJ,s; they are cute little buggers are shake their heads like crazy on the way up…
P3130327.jpg


P3130326.jpg


Jig performer of the trip was undoubtedly the River2Sea, Sea Rock 200g jig which has a relative slender profile and a good darting action – silver and silver/blue worked the best.

No prizes for guessing where your assist hook should be; this was the 1st day that I used this jig…
P3140395.jpg


Grouper, this one is a west coast custom, comes with purple spoilers…
P3130328.jpg


P3130329.jpg


P3130325.jpg


I am totally hooked on wind-on leaders now, but have serious concerns on using Jerry Brown Hollow with a wind-on as there is no weak point; my jig got stuck on the bottom and I could not pull it loose. I started out by wrapping the line around my glove and pulled as hard as I could and that did not work so I wrapped my Stella neoprene reel pouch around the glove, wound the line around my hand and had the skipper reverse the boat and pulled as freaking hard as I could and ended up nearly loosing my hand - 60# my ass, I must have put at least 100# of force on that line and it did not flinch. I really got a fright, as if that line did not release when I let it go my hand may have been injured big time. I finally managed to free the jig with my usual method which is to release any pressure as soon as you realize that it is not a monster fish on the end of the line, motor up above the point so you are directly above the jig and jerk the rod up and down giving slack on the down stroke; this 9 times out of ten gets your jig out of the bricks. This is not going to stop me using it, but you must be careful, next time I am going to take the thickest leather glove that I can find just in case it happens again.

P3140392.jpg


Two fellow sea farers we met out in the deep…
P3140387.jpg


This is why it is called the Red Island, viz is about negative 1000….
P3140404.jpg


P3140405.jpg


Sunday on the road…
P3140406.jpg


What a fishing trip!

If any of you want to know what muscle groups to work out before a jigging trip I can tell you that my right tricep, reel hand and left bicep, rod hand are as stiff as hell so there you have it.
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Hey Fedu,
I forgot to mention the unreal phosphorescence in the lagoon when whe headed back out to sea at 04h00 on Sunday morning; I could see every fish in the water as they would light up like a scud missile when they disturbed all the glowing thingamajigs in the water, I saw some really big fish which was as cool as hell.
 

ignatius

Sealiner
Hei Blaasoppie
We only dream of the days you are having.
I enjoy your posts, and you have a way with word and camera.
Thanks a lot.
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Mark - Once again mate you absolutely blow me away with your fishing, your pictures, your writing, and your pure jigging and popping passion.....

Most of us can only dream,.....


Without a doubt, one of the very best I've read!

As to the JB 60lb.... apparently the 60lb has a higher breaking strain than the 80lb for some reason.... Roger did a write up about it on 360... seriously tough stuff!
 

zamarlin

New member
Mark the pop eye fish looks like a juvenile Lutjanus sanguineus, or humphead snapper, portuguese ox, blood snapper. Image does not show the dorsal view of the head clearly, but even in small specimens there is a pronounced hump on the top of the head.

Great reading the reports so please keep them coming.
 

tauruck

Sealiner
Mark, you really need to get into having your own mag or fishing show.
This in unreal.
Thanks bru, it keeps us going and I scheme you inspire everyone of us.:clap12:clap12:clap12:clap12
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Thanks Tauruck,

Just happy to share the experience; I should have done a fishing show long time ago, but am doomed to work for a living. 6 Days a week at work isn’t fun - who knows, maybe someday?

 
 

fedu

Sealiner
tauruck wrote:
Mark, you really need to get into having your own mag or fishing show.
This in unreal.
Thanks bru, it keeps us going and I scheme you inspire everyone of us.:clap12:clap12:clap12:clap12
Whenever I see Mark's reports I get remminded of ESPNs "Fishing Adventurer" with Cyril Chauquet (jigging version of course).
 

MickJack

Senior Member
blaasoppie number ONE!

Got a job for me there #1 ?

Oh, and the biggest rock salmon I've ever seen never mind caught!

Have some manna for the pics!
 

Enigma

Moderator
Awesome report, great fishing and tribute to your camera man, great visuals and enough to make us all want to get out and fish

Thanks for and awesome report
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
fedu wrote:
Whenever I see Mark's reports I get remminded of ESPNs "Fishing Adventurer" with Cyril Chauquet (jigging version of course).
Fedu,

I love that show, only problem is that we have had no DSTV in Madagascar for 3 months and it won’t be coming back soon as they have switched satellites apparently and now we have no reception!!

MickJack,

Finding a job here is tough going at the moment with all the political problems; i only have a couple of months left before i am out of here. Will miss Madagascar, but will now finally be next to the ocean.
 
Top