my question for today is what rod "Brand" would yo

Enigma

Moderator
Yes, it is called a linemate (Depth Finder) and gives a good indication but relies on you being honest ie to reel in your loop of line left after the casting.

The best is to measure the actual spot where your cast lands and this is best done on a field.
 

Attachments

  • linemate.JPG
    linemate.JPG
    15.1 KB · Views: 158

Willis

New member
Enigma wrote:
Yes, it is called a linemate (Depth Finder) and gives a good indication but relies on you being honest ie to reel in your loop of line left after the casting.

The best is to measure the actual spot where your cast lands and this is best done on a field.

Oops you beat me to it.

I only measure my distances when I go fishing. Would love to get to a field and practice all day. I need to get that extra 10 to 15m further
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
I always thought my casting distance was quite okay so last weekend decided to buy a line meter and measure once and for all...boy oh boy was I in for a shocker...should never have bought the dman thing!
- Measured my casts with my 3lb Daiwa Black Widow specimen rod and it came in at 102m with a 3oz sinker.
- Also measured my Sensation Bazooka MK1 with a mieliebom and ende up at 105m
Before we left i tried the bazooka again with a 3oz lead and managed 120m.
I dont know how anyone manages 160m plus as I am letting it rip!!! Maybe I need to eat more pap...
 

Willis

New member
F1%hpa%te wrote:
I always thought my casting distance was quite okay so last weekend decided to buy a line meter and measure once and for all...boy oh boy was I in for a shocker...should never have bought the dman thing!
- Measured my casts with my 3lb Daiwa Black Widow specimen rod and it came in at 102m with a 3oz sinker.
- Also measured my Sensation Bazooka MK1 with a mieliebom and ende up at 105m
Before we left i tried the bazooka again with a 3oz lead and managed 120m.
I dont know how anyone manages 160m plus as I am letting it rip!!! Maybe I need to eat more pap...

This is my whole confusion.....

I fish for a club and there are a few provincial angler's in the club as well as a few guys that fish Pro Am and I watched them cast when I sat next to them. I could cast just as far as them most times so I thought I must be half decent...

took my 12 foot rod and the best I got was 127m. So I thought ok thats not bad with. cheap no name rod ao I went and bought myself a rod for over R1000 I won't mention the brand and the best I could get was 120m....lol

So im with you hey not sure how these guys get 160m.... Even these pro's I fish with brag how far they cast but when u see them cast they not much further than us if they even further. they dont measure the distance they just guess and say ja nee that's about 160m hey.
 

Enigma

Moderator
No we practise long and hard.

Remember also we fish where the fish are so yip maybe they were fishing with you at 100m because the fish were at 100m

Fact is however when they fish at 100m with you they generally (not always) do it way more consitently and with much greater accuracy.

I do field casting to targets with fishing rigs and I do this more than I go fishing.

My son who is now 14 fished the Champion of Champions at the Oppi Dam festival and was measured in demonstrations.

M1 with Bol 119m
M1.5 with Bol 127m
P4 (small bol) 143m
P7 no bol 161m

Marius (Winner of Champions of Champions)fished Day 1 at 135 and 152m and on day 2 from 170-210m... the 210m was with a 4oz weight no bol (see in next months Stywe Lyne (his interview) I finished 2nd and I fish 150 and 171m on Day 1 and 185m on day 2 (measured) Skippie Scheepers (3rd)on both days fished at 170m min (his lines were marked and they also measured. Johan Booysen 4th fished at 166m

Generally however 145m is more than enough to ensure you are fishing alone behind the rest of the anglers. But then a guy consistant and accurate at 125m will beat you 9 out of 10 times.

But the day there are no fish closer than 160m and you can't get there then you blank
 

Enigma

Moderator
This weekend we have technical trials for our provincial sides and the required accuracy target to qualify for selection is 110m with an M0 and Bol (this is why I was practising this weekend)
 

delwynv

Member
Willis



i think if ur happy with what a R200 rod does then why worry about a rod that costs so much more that delivers the same result for you.

it does just come down to your casting style.
you mentioned "stiffer rods" i gather ur more comfortable using a softer rod

maybe its also psychology

your not afraid to "punch it hard" with a cheap rod knowing it it does break its easily replaceable.

where as u have less confidence in the ability of a more expensive rod seeing your comment of "might not be lighter or thinner"

in some regard i don't think that its all fraud and jokes

these rods are given to campion casters to test - theres also no standard as to how theses tests are conducted some times its not real world situation that are being tested, cause sure u can gets some great distances with just a single aerosynamic weight 5lb line or .10mm braid line on a windless day. but then a meilie bomb etc those same distances are reduced dramatically.

then there are some real world tests that take place where its on a dam with real conditions.

u have to understand that its all marketing
for the ordinary guy on the street which is going to sound more convincing hearing that a rod can cast 200m+
or that the average person with an average cast will be able to cast 120m on the same rod)

200m rods gonna win,

and thats there u get droves of people going out to spend lots of money thinking that they will acheive the same result. and they just don't come right.
 

Enigma

Moderator
My 14' year old son sending a P4 and bol to 140m+ ...... measured on the field.
 

Attachments

  • dc2-1.jpg
    dc2-1.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 128

Enigma

Moderator
Bending it to send it..... just before pulling back hard with his left...
 

Attachments

  • DC2-3.jpg
    DC2-3.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 127

Enigma

Moderator
Me bending the DC with a M0 on a 135m line clip, the kol was at around 124m
 

Attachments

  • 126-5.jpg
    126-5.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 126

Trophy

Sealiner
Hiya Enigma,

Back in the day when I fished freshwater competitively it was simply practice practice and then more practice. Every evening spent casting on a local school rugby field.

In those days I could put 6\10 casts in a hula hoop from dead ball line to dead ball line. The other four casts always withing a meter as well.

It was this practice that pushed me to the top.
 

Enigma

Moderator
Yep J-C and I are on a Mission again.

He is determined to be a Protea before he is 17 and we practise accuracy and distance 2-3 times a week and 7 days a week before a tournament. He's nailed 160m already

Myself.... well I want on last Protea Cap to make it 5.

Like I said earlier constant practice to get the muscle memory right and to make sure accurracy and consistency is at a level to compete.
 

fishy_fishy

Sealiner
Willis wrote:
Enigma wrote:
Yes, it is called a linemate (Depth Finder) and gives a good indication but relies on you being honest ie to reel in your loop of line left after the casting.

The best is to measure the actual spot where your cast lands and this is best done on a field.

Oops you beat me to it.

I only measure my distances when I go fishing. Would love to get to a field and practice all day. I need to get that extra 10 to 15m further

Thanks guys _seal1_

:f1shy
 

fishy_fishy

Sealiner
((goodp_

Personally, i feel its time for me to review my casting technique. I'm also curious what the maximum distance i am achieving currently. Off to buy a distance meter...

:f1shy
 

Enigma

Moderator
In theory and mechanically a longer rod will cast further. When I go fir extreme distance I use the Saltwater Oval DC 12'but it is a 5oz rod so has about a 7lbs test curve and launches a big sinker a mile.

Otherwise I use my 15'Skycaster or Blue Marlin Supperslim 50-30-430 for really long range casting with medium weights.

It is a combination of:

1. Speed, Power and timing by the angler.

2. Lead Weight and Line diameter

3. Rod strength and recovery speed.

Once all these are in balance you will get the maximum out of the rod.

The difference between a R600 rod and a R2000 rod is often only 5m, max 10m (in the hands of the same caster) but those who know fish behaviour and structure will know that 5-10m is the difference between 0 or 5 fish.

Also if I can cast the same distance as you but using 80% less energy I will be more accurate and I will fish there longer.
 
Top