my question for today is what rod "Brand" would yo

Enigma

Moderator
That is the plan.

He won the SA champs for under 13 and has been in the top 10 of the under 19's for 3 years on provincial and national level.

I coach as much as possible and he works really hard on his casting accuracy and distance.
 

Willis

New member
LeonK wrote:
Well its easy, just buy another R200 rod for consistant 120m casting then

Read my posts again, I have kept my cheap rods because they do already give me my 120m consistently. My concern was when I wanted to get further distance I went out and bought a waft for R1000 and to my disappointment I couldn't out cast my cheap rods.................

So ill keep practicing and perfecting my technique and save up for a new set of "casting" rods for those comps when the fish are far out
 

Willis

New member
Enigma wrote:
In theory and mechanically a longer rod will cast further. When I go fir extreme distance I use the Saltwater Oval DC 12'but it is a 5oz rod so has about a 7lbs test curve and launches a big sinker a mile.

Otherwise I use my 15'Skycaster or Blue Marlin Supperslim 50-30-430 for really long range casting with medium weights.

It is a combination of:

1. Speed, Power and timing by the angler.

2. Lead Weight and Line diameter

3. Rod strength and recovery speed.

Once all these are in balance you will get the maximum out of the rod.

The difference between a R600 rod and a R2000 rod is often only 5m, max 10m (in the hands of the same caster) but those who know fish behaviour and structure will know that 5-10m is the difference between 0 or 5 fish.

Also if I can cast the same distance as you but using 80% less energy I will be more accurate and I will fish there longer.

What do you reckon is a 12 foots limit in terms of casting? 130m, 135m??? when does one know he has got all he can out of his 12 foot rods and if he wants to cast further he needs to use his 13 or 14 foot rods and use the stiff "casting" rods as you say?
 

Enigma

Moderator
Willis wrote:
Read my posts again, I have kept my cheap rods because they do already give me my 120m consistently. My concern was when I wanted to get further distance I went out and bought a waft for R1000 and to my disappointment I couldn't out cast my cheap rods.................

So I'll keep practicing and perfecting my technique and save up for a new set of "casting" rods for those comps when the fish are far out

Which WAFT's have you got? What I suspect is the cheaper rod is a soft slow action rod and the WAFT is a quick action which generally wants a faster cast and with these rods the more you put in the more you get out (keeping in mind that timing is key)
 

Willis

New member
Enigma wrote:
Willis wrote:
Read my posts again, I have kept my cheap rods because they do already give me my 120m consistently. My concern was when I wanted to get further distance I went out and bought a waft for R1000 and to my disappointment I couldn't out cast my cheap rods.................

So I'll keep practicing and perfecting my technique and save up for a new set of "casting" rods for those comps when the fish are far out

Which WAFT's have you got? What I suspect is the cheaper rod is a soft slow action rod and the WAFT is a quick action which generally wants a faster cast and with these rods the more you put in the more you get out (keeping in mind that timing is key)

I forgot the name of the waft but it was the model before the raging bull. there are 3 models I took the middle one
 

Enigma

Moderator
No, guys like Bossie and Jumbo thro a M2.5 to 165m in fishing conditions with these and my son does up to 160m with his 12' and Louwtjie Louwies gets close to 200m with his 12' and at Oppi Dam Johan Beukes casted well over 200m with his WAFT.

So it depends on which rods, your technique and the weight you are casting.

As I said earlier it also has a lot to do with technique and power and some people just can't cast a long rod or don't have the power to cast a long rod.

Different strokes for different folks and if it was a clear cut as some would like it to be there would only be one kind of rod and there wouldn't be fine tunes and improved models.
 

Corlic

New member
Neltf wrote:
Willis wrote:
Neltf wrote:
Why not get a pair of Dc180's?

This is what im scared of.

I have a R200 rod and a R1000 rod. My R1000 could not get me more distance than my R200 rod so lets say I try buy another rod brand for R1500 and I still only cast the same distance as my cheap rod.....what do I do then? still blame my casting technique or just admit that's these fancy so called casting rods that get advertised to cast 200m are a fraud and a joke?

How far can you cast with your current rods? what rods are you fishing with now?
Best I could get out the Raging bulls was 98m...now I get ave 118m with 100g trace (m1.5-24g) you must remember,main line & leader thickness also play a huge role is casting far...I went from a 0.27mm to a 0.23mm main...with the next komp I am scaling down to a 0.21mm line which is 10Lb...But to get back to your other question- technique plays a big role yes,you gonna have to practise

Hi NetlF,

I am not a competitive angler, I fish mainly specimen and I use the Waft Raging Bulls 3.75lb tc. I assure you the Raging Bulls are capable of far more than 98m if you compress the rod properly. I fish 30lb braid, which does not do your casting any favours, and even with that loaded on my reels I can still whack a 3oz to 4oz lead, with hook bait and a small pva bag in excess of 140m when needed. And it's not that I am some sort of casting pro or anything. I actually don't cast often at all, we mostly boat out baits.

If used correctly, and you have the technique and confidence to compress the rod during the cast - The Ranging Bulls will perform!
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Right, so I have been back at the waters edge to try and "load" my 11' bazookas. I wasnt going to waste mielie bombs so I used a 0.45mm leader with a 2oz specimen weight.
The best distance that I managed was 138m and my average was 136m.
I was casting with the weight 1/2 way down the rod and started the rod at an almost 12 o'clock position, flicked the weight out in a sort of "pendulum" motion backwards and let it rip!
I ensured that I took up all the slack line before I started measuring the distance.
 

Willis

New member
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Right, so I have been back at the waters edge to try and "load" my 11' bazookas. I wasnt going to waste mielie bombs so I used a 0.45mm leader with a 2oz specimen weight.
The best distance that I managed was 138m and my average was 136m.
I was casting with the weight 1/2 way down the rod and started the rod at an almost 12 o'clock position, flicked the weight out in a sort of "pendulum" motion backwards and let it rip!
I ensured that I took up all the slack line before I started measuring the distance.

138m on an 11 foot rod? What size sinker is a 2oz? P3 or P4?
 

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Hi Willis, I'm not clued up on the M and P weights, but a 2oz is +/- 60g.
Next time I’m next to the water I want to play around with different weights to see if I can find an optimum and try and translate that into a bomb that will suffice and reach a desired distance. I’m thinking that a 2oz mielie bomb might be huge... I have never concentrated on casting further until now!
!
 

Willis

New member
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Hi Willis, I'm not clued up on the M and P weights, but a 2oz is +/- 60g.
Next time I’m next to the water I want to play around with different weights to see if I can find an optimum and try and translate that into a bomb that will suffice and reach a desired distance. I’m thinking that a 2oz mielie bomb might be huge... I have never concentrated on casting further until now!
!

HI

I think 60g is about a P4 sinker. That is very heavy.
Playing around with weights is best. I found on my 12 foot cheapy that I could cast a few meters further using a P2 sinker than a heavier P3 or P4 sinker. I don't think my rod could handle anymore weight.
 
Top