FISHING YOURSELF SINGLE

Zane

New member
Dear forum,

I thought that I would kick start a debate on whether it is possible to commit to a relationship if you are a serious angler.

I have had numerous breakups over my fishing obsession.  Is there a Dr Phil out there that could shed some light on the impact of fishing addiction on family responsibility?
 

Mouldz

Sealiner
Zane wrote:
Dear forum,

I thought that I would kick start a debate on whether it is possible to commit to a relationship if you are a serious angler.

I have had numerous breakups over my fishing obsession.  Is there a Dr Phil out there that could shed some light on the impact of fishing addiction on family responsibility?
I had a problem with golf,I used to work for myself and then I would make any excuse to get out of working for a day,and I would use money that was budgeted for other things to pay for golf games,equipment etc,I think if your fishing is costing you a relation ship I think you must find a wife that fishes LOl,no seriuosly you must slow down or you gonna end up being a lonely old man sitting next to the water
 

BigBen

Sealiner
MOULDIE wrote:
Zane wrote:
Dear forum,

I thought that I would kick start a debate on whether it is possible to commit to a relationship if you are a serious angler.

I have had numerous breakups over my fishing obsession.  Is there a Dr Phil out there that could shed some light on the impact of fishing addiction on family responsibility?
I had a problem with golf,I used to work for myself and then I would make any excuse to get out of working for a day,and I would use money that was budgeted for other things to pay for golf games,equipment etc,I think if your fishing is costing you a relation ship I think you must find a wife that fishes LOl,no seriuosly you must slow down or you gonna end up being a lonely old man sitting next to the water
That's why i love my missis. She bought me my first rod @ wait for it... OK Bazaars in CT central for R20.00 ± 20 yrs ago..Lang tyd gelede.
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
Ha I'm a Dr (not psych, dermatology) and my name is Phil! Well, interesting topic. I knew a guy in SA many years ago who was at the top of the fishing game, divorced (due to too many days away fishing) and single as he was always out fishing! So I guess if you really are that serious you will struggle to maintain a relationship as they need lots of time devoted to make a success out of it. AND that is not adding kids to the picture, which will drastically reduce your (single) fishing time.

Best way is to look for someone who can (at least to some extent) share your love of the game. The best of both worlds! Nothing like fishing trips away camping with the one you love. So compromise is called for but it can be done to some extent. I guess it just depends on how much of a fanatic you are?? My wife enjoys fishing to a lesser degree and my little girl is just about ready to hold her own fishing rod so we can get out and enjoy my favourite pursuit, but you must be willing to COMPROMISE.
 

BigBen

Sealiner
mark norval wrote:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. them woman do not have problem. Got to give some to get some, and if they want to break up because of something you enjoy and makes you happy, then xxxxxxxxxx!!!! Rather be single and happy that married and depressed....

What do you mean?? We talking fishing here bru LOL

Thank you BigBen

:SSS    Admin "S"  :SSS
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Fishing like craufish is wonderful but if it is all you eat it soon becomes boring. Look at the commercials. The last this they want to do is go fishing on their off day I would imagine.

Life is all about balance.

Half the fun of fishing (if not more) is the preparation and anticipation of the trip. SL helps a great deal in this. Schedule the time through compromise and develop the quality vs quantity approach.

If conditions are iffy stay at home and charm the lady with your wit (subtle way of agreeing with Mark:))

I have a beautiful wife who is not into fishing at all and two little ones the youngest who is 3 months. Went to Witsand three weeks back for a boys weekend. Can be done!
 

kopstamp

Sealiner
cant find the topic but i recall trophy saying something in the line of "when it is not possible to fish, make sure you spend proper quality time with the misses, with no other distractions, then when it is fishing time you can go have a ball."
 

damian27

Sealiner
i have been with my girl friend now for four years, she dose horse riding and i fish (obviously) but i have taken her fishing many times and taught her. and she has done the same with me with horses (although im $^%^ scared of them). so you got to give and take, not just take, take, take.

she has started liking fishing so much, that on some mornings on the weekends she will say to me "why don we go fish". and for christmas all she wants is fishing stuff of her own.

what more can i ask for, because she understands how i feel for my passion. and she has learnt to like it to spend more time with me.

so i would think that it depends on how you handle the situation that counts the most.
 

kopstamp

Sealiner
@damain if only one could call shopping a hobby.... no just kidding, she grew up fishing with her dad, she had no choice, so she is a little rod shy, but still outfishes me most of the times. lucky for me she understands the addiction... i made a good compremise 1hour shopping= 2hours fishing..
 

Dafishking

Senior Member
Take the wife out fishing from a boat and let her do her own thing till she hook, fight and land a fish then u sorted she wil understand what its all about. Worked for me only thing her fish was the biggest of the day (9kg cob). U never here the end of it.
 
You've got to compromise and give back the time you spent fishing, to your wife/girlfriend/family...that's just the way it works, usually if they see this they won't have any problem when you go fishing, remember never go fishing if the wife/girlfriend did not give their blessing...it will just get worse! Through the months/year they will notice a pattern and they will exactly know when you want to go fishing as long as you give back the time!

I'm lucky as my wife knows exactly what the perfect weather is for what ever fish I want to target and I don't even have to ask....sy sê net "gaan jy nie vandag vir ons 'n vis vang nie"....is ja!!!!

Remember: family is important, you don't want to grow old alone!!!!
 

Cheetha FS

Sealiner
You do have a point but ask urself this! Would you let anything come between your lady "if u realy love her"?? Fammily comes first boet then all the nice things in life will start happening on is own. Here is a tip that realy works say you want to go fishing on a saturday. Make an apointment at a hair sallon so she can do her hair, nails, massage and in that time u can go fish wich would be the whole day!!! Lady's dont like to sit at home and feel like they are locked up in a cage to do only dirty work! Treat her well and she will do anything for you or even with you. Give it a shot bru you have nothing to loose but only so much to gain and your love life will blossom as much as you would be able to catch nice fish and be happy!!! Do it or dont it is your choice!?
 

Joker

Senior Member
Fishing is why weekends were invented.

Its a balance. As said before. When the weather is bad, make the most of the time spent with the missus. And dont take her for a drive to the beach.

On Saturday I saw a couple, man and woman, pumping worm together. She was in a wader and he in a shorts. Now thats dedication in a relationship. And that's coming from both sides. I almost knocked him over the head and kidnapped his missus :)
 

Cheetha FS

Sealiner
Joker wrote:
Fishing is why weekends were invented.

Its a balance. As said before. When the weather is bad, make the most of the time spent with the missus. And dont take her for a drive to the beach.

On Saturday I saw a couple, man and woman, pumping worm together. She was in a wader and he in a shorts. Now thats dedication in a relationship. And that's coming from both sides. I almost knocked him over the head and kidnapped his missus :)

No that is why i carry a piece with me all the time!! LOL...

:fbash
 

Mouldz

Sealiner
WANTED
MIDDLE AGE MAN LOOKING FOR A SINGLE WOMAN

1.MUST BE ABLE TO DIG BAIT
2.MUST BE ABLE TO CLEAN FISH
3.MUST BE ABLE TO FISH
P.S.MUST HAVE OWN BOAT
 
Top