what rod to buy???

ziggy

Member
I have a Shimano Stradic 4000 - and (until saturday) had a Sensation 8' Passionstick (Special edition drop shot series) 8' medium fast (SPSS802MFS-DS). Lure got caught on the rocks and a normal hard tug snapped the rod just below the first guide (about 6' below the ferrule). I will get it repaired and use it as a second rod - but not really interested in using it as a first choice, surely the action will not be the same

I already have
 - A Stradic 2500 with a Shimano Clarus 6'6" medium fast (CCS-66M-2) AND
 - A Sustain 5000 with a Shimano Aeroflex 10' (SAC30XH)

So, the question is, what would be a good rod to replace the 8' Passionstick? Obviously it should match my Stradic 4000

any good ideas out there?
 

ziggy

Member
Nepptune

budget - upto about 1500

use? When I am tired of blacktails on my 6'6" I generally cast out an assortment smallish berkleys (also use it with a slightly heavier jighead when the blacktails are further out) I have cuaght a couple of Kingies with that Passionstick (using 5" minnows) - and use it for shad with spoons

the 10" Aerocast (bought last week) is to get as close to the backline as possible for Garrick etc - rod is still a virgin, only used it onec to test

Your advice appreciated - thanks
 

steve m

Sealiner
ziggy wrote:
I have a Shimano Stradic 4000 - and (until saturday) had a Sensation 8' Passionstick (Special edition drop shot series) 8' medium fast (SPSS802MFS-DS). Lure got caught on the rocks and a normal hard tug snapped the rod just below the first guide (about 6' below the ferrule). I will get it repaired and use it as a second rod - but not really interested in using it as a first choice, surely the action will not be the same

I already have
 - A Stradic 2500 with a Shimano Clarus 6'6" medium fast (CCS-66M-2) AND
 - A Sustain 5000 with a Shimano Aeroflex 10' (SAC30XH)

So, the question is, what would be a good rod to replace the 8' Passionstick? Obviously it should match my Stradic 4000

any good ideas out there?

How old was it?

The reason i ask is that i had one and it also broke there sent it back they gave me a new one then it then happened to the new one went back to the shop and they gave me my money back.

but check out the shimano clarus it is amazing i think that the come out in 8ft6.

hope it helps

steve
 

ziggy

Member
Hi Steve

Its about 2 years old - and it has had some serious use - so suspect it got a couple of knocks - not the rods fault really

I was thinking of the Clarus - but would like an 8' rather than 8'6"

any idea what the Clarus costs?
 

steve m

Sealiner
im not sure but i will phone a few shops in ct tomorrow for you and find out.

also try khan he should have them for a very good price.
 

Splasher

Sealiner
The shimano crucial 7ft is a great all rounder and the Shimano Compre 6'6" are both good quality rods suitable for jigs, soft baits and top water lures. The only disadvantage is the crucial is a one piece and transporting it is sometime awkward.
 

ziggy

Member
I would prefer a 2 piece and 8' - 6'6" Clarus I have and is too close to the 7' - so better 8' I think
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Ziggy,

I was going to suggest a Berkley Air XH, but at 9ft, probably a little long if you set on an 8ft stick...

Does the Excllor come in an 8ft model? Muffin Man or Neilg would know best on that front I reckon.

If you can see yourself to an 8'6" length or 9' I'd advise it as they give you that little extra distance and reach over bricks etc.... I always prefered a 7' or shorter stick till I started fishing longer rods, even on the boat, and love the extra distance and reach.... so long as you don't sacrifice power and casting weights...

I can't recommend the Berkley Air more strongly in that price range... its an unreal stick.. guides are a little small for my liking, but its a small sacrifice.

Best of luck man, nice arsenal you've got yourself, best of luck with completing it.

Nepps
 

Splasher

Sealiner
I have a Abu soron stx40 (same size as your 4000) with a Clarus 6'6" one piece and I must tell you that its a little dead when it comes to fishing dropshot.
A 7ft will balance out nicely with a 4000.
My opinion about a 7ft is other than being longer dont go too stiff.
 

ziggy

Member
Nepps - I already have 10' to reach over the bricks (for larger fish) - thats why I thought 8" best to get other side of the bricks with lighter lures

Will take a trip to Basil Manning this week and check what they have - maybe kings too

I also want to focus more on non-plastic lures - getting tired of softbaits - isnt that your preference?
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Ziggs

I have a great love for soft plastics, always will..:) I spent 5 years in the Caribbean chasing all manner of fish on plastics and bucktails.. even after having grown up on light tackle artificials, the Caribbean is where I got serious about it, and really started to get properly into it...

Over the last 18 months or more, I've spent alot more time focused ( obviously ) on jigging and popping, and my passion for angling has shifted almost completely.... but thats a personal thing, and where my love lies I guess... But basically, its all about chucking artificials at fish that will eat them...whether they are plastics, lead, wood,feathers or a combination of all of them, its just fun...

If you going to be looking at throwing more hard body lures, spoons and poppers etc, you may need to look at a slightly heavier stick than a soft plastics rod, to handle heavier lures like spoons, poppers etc, so bear that in mind when you checking out rods.

Cheers,
Nepps
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Ziggy I have been using the Diawa Exceler EXF-802HFS cast weight 14g Half ounce to 56g 2 ounce. Cheers Paul (MM)
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
I've got a Shimano Trevala Medium Light 7' that I reckon must be one of the better rods in that category. Use it for spinning off the boat and light jigging - up to 135g. It also casts a 1/8 ounce jig reasonably well but 1/4 ounce and up better. I think they go for about R800.
 

neilg

Sealiner
If I had to choose between the Passion Stick in 8ft and the Daiwa Exceller rod in 8ft I would take the Passion Stick (btw, I have both)

both great rods, just prefer the bigger guides on the Passion Stick.

on the exceller rod, EVERY LITTLE SCRATCH SHOWS !
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Glad to hear you recoment the Passion Stick neil.

I have just purchased one for the Leeries this summer.::S
 

ziggy

Member
Neilg
I was thinking that I sould just buy another passionstick - I was happy with it - I thought that there may have been another option - but it seems that 8' rod range is limited. I was thinkiing also that it was an opportunity to go a bit "up market" - not that the difference in performance would be much increased

Still have not gone to Basil Manning to see what there is - I did see an 8" loomis somewhere (one of my many flyrods is a loomis)

As for Excellor -  I had sucha  bad experience with a reel that I got my moeny back and bought a simano - so the mention of Daiwa kind of makes the hair on my back stand up like my faithful Ridgeback

Will make a post when I see what there is in Durban

Ziggy
 
Top