What are you feeding your dog

speartackle

We have recently taken on a new puppy.  I am blown away by what dog food costs these days. The breeder kindly supplied a 3kg bag of Eukanuba when we collected him. Well 2 x 15kg bags later at R 578.00 each, one lasting about 3 weeks, I am wondering where to from here?

The worst thing is that I feel that there is promotion of the expensive feeds but as a layman, how do I know that there is as much benefit as there is made out to be?

So, I am wondering what other folks are feeding their pets and what their feelings on the matter are?

Thanks.

christosch

Our vet suggested Hills for our 3 legged Boxer as she has hip displasia (Spelling?) in her only hip, but at R1000 a bag we could not afford it either. We are using Montego (R325/25kg) and they are very healthy and shiny coats, wet nose and all and all. In my opinion buy the best you can afford and don't switch brands. Certain "cheaper" brands goes straight through their system with very little nutrition and LOADS of poop!

Serra Moz

Sealiner
1/2 or full chicken - cooked & deboned, rice, certain veg chopped up. Been doing this for years, works out cheaper than high end dog food? I have had up 8 dogs at a time (strays and pick ups) Some died, some survived. For the very reason I do care more about animals than humans.

I have also steamed Bonito fillet on rice for them, depends if it's Bonito time.

Pick ups & strays on my plot, gets rice + el cheapo pellets.

Bern

christosch wrote:
Our vet suggested Hills for our 3 legged Boxer as she has hip displasia (Spelling?) in her only hip, but at R1000 a bag we could not afford it either. We are using Montego (R325/25kg) and they are very healthy and shiny coats, wet nose and all and all. In my opinion buy the best you can afford and don't switch brands. Certain "cheaper" brands goes straight through their system with very little nutrition and LOADS of poop!
Montego keeps my boerboel happy and healthy, but the supplements for her joints cost the earth. On the odd occasion that I have to change her food she farts for days. So I stay with the one brand.

playa

I used to breed with boerboels. I fed them complete puppy till they 18 months old and after that complete maintenance. no problems what so ever. I am now starting with weimaranners and my female is in perfect shape and I also have no issues with her. my female boerboel is now 5 male is now 7. I will post a pic of him now just have to find it quickly.

Attachments

• DSCF8794.JPG
    DSCF8794.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 319

Ant86

Sealiner
The Rott has been on Eukanuba since day 1 and I couldnt ask for better, the Lab was 1st on Vets Choice but have had to move him to Hills Prescription .

I also supplement their dry food with boiled chicken fillets and MobiFlex Joint Supplement.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Montego Range and is probably the one you should try . A tip is to mix the new food 50;50 ratio with the old, increase the new food ratio over 7 to 10 days .

EDIT; Feeding your dog twice a day is also better if you can, eg the Rott eats 400g dry a day split 250g  in the morning and 150g with a chicken breast at night. 

playa

I used Montego on my previous breeding pair and Montego changed their recipe and my dogs started to itch and some hair fell out that is why I tried Complete. its in the same price range as Montego. But if Montego works for your dog its not a bad food just did not work with mine so I changed. I also buy bone meal from the butcher when they have and cook it as a sauce over their pellets now and again also helps.

Psy

Sealiner
playa wrote:
I used Montego on my previous breeding pair and Montego changed their recipe and my dogs started to itch and some hair fell out that is why I tried Complete. its in the same price range as Montego. But if Montego works for your dog its not a bad food just did not work with mine so I changed. I also buy bone meal from the butcher when they have and cook it as a sauce over their pellets now and again also helps.

I have noticed the same on my boerboel.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I have also found out(the hard way)the expensive foods arent necessarily the best!

J_Bay

Sealiner
I buy pets mince or bonemeal from the butcher, I prefer the bonemeal but they don't always have. This I cook up with any vegetable scraps or potatoe peels that I have, and I add in a couple of table spoons of Bobtail gravy powder. It makes a nice meaty sauce that I then pour over her daily allocation of kibble. I normally buy Bobtail but if one of the other better brand is on special then I get that. She loves the meat sauce over her kibble and her coat is always shiny and heatlthy.

She's a labrador so leaving a hopper of kibble out for her is a no go, the one time I tried this she got frustrated with the way it only replenshes what she ate, so she just knocked the whole thing over and ate the hopper empty in one go...

Ant86

Sealiner
J_Bay wrote:
She's a labrador so leaving a hopper of kibble out for her is a no go, the one time I tried this she got frustrated with the way it only replenshes what she ate, so she just knocked the whole thing over and ate the hopper empty in one go...
Haha my Lab also has a wicked feeding response , a hopper wouldnt stand a chance...and my rott is now addicted to mozzarella cheese lol 

Mengs

I have a Great Dane/Pit Bull cross and a Dalmatian/Boerboel cross (with a little collie I think). We were feeding them Montego with no problems. A friend suggested "Lionel's Choice" which we are now using and seems we are able to give them less and they look healthy and happy?

Koper

+ 1 for Montego from my side as well.  My Boerboel died at age 12 last year and was only fed Montego.