"Video KILLED the Radio Star" ???

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Truth, I believe the likes of Facebook & W/app killed off all the old traditional forums - I have noted it on all the fishing / diving / spearfishing / boating / hunting forums. If one look at the amount of members on these Facebook pages, look at the amount of daily posts / replies. It's a far cry of what's happening on the forums.

Fishing wise I belong of course to SL and UA, a person hardly see more than 5 posts a day....

Writing on the wall? Sign of times? Yes I think so. Various reasons, I suppose quicker responses, easy access, more "hip" than the old school forums.

What's your take.... I myself have been pondering, is it still worth our while running these forums, the old labour of love?
 

Limpopoking

Sealiner
I dislike just about everything about FB... I find it to be a sort of "attention deficit" kind of media.

I'm a forum guy thru and thru. I love the fact that you can revive old threads as they become relevant again, search through topics and find specific posts. I also love the fact that forums do not overwhelm you with commercials.

I'm on FB, but only because I have a business page.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Of course I am FB, what I enjoy about Forums, it acts as a Bible, you can always go back to an old thread - say for example you changed to "fly fishing" voila, just read up and there you go.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Frikster wrote:
agreed, i am also on other forums, they are all mostly dead!

100%, like I said about rifles / hunting etc... same people on the facebook pages, however they don't post on the forums anymore.

Perhaps, it's because FB is or can be more interactive?
 

Houtarm

Moderator
Limpopoking wrote:
I dislike just about everything about FB... I find it to be a sort of "attention deficit" kind of media.

I'm a forum guy thru and thru. I love the fact that you can revive old threads as they become relevant again, search through topics and find specific posts. I also love the fact that forums do not overwhelm you with commercials.

I'm on FB, but only because I have a business page.

I agree.

How much of the activity on Facebook is just the same thing over and over. Every second day someone wants an ID on a two tone finger fin. Same questions get asked over and over.

Facebook is nice to follow significant catches, here and there an interesting conversation takes place.

But I prefer the forum format if you are looking for serious advice or info. The forum doesn't need to be very active to be of use, most questions have been asked and I read old topics regularly just for the fun of it, so much info hidden where it's not easy to find by just using a search function.

Serious or interesting questions and topics on the forum will get responses.

I think you might be right that forum's are on the out though, but the problem is with people, not the forums.

I spoke to a old timer teacher recently.I asked her if she has seen any affect of social media on the kids in school today compared to before. According to her children in schools have lost the ability to research problems and formulate solutions. If they can't Google the answer instantly they struggle.

I think it's the same with forum users.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Houtarm wrote:
Limpopoking wrote:
I dislike just about everything about FB... I find it to be a sort of "attention deficit" kind of media.

I'm a forum guy thru and thru. I love the fact that you can revive old threads as they become relevant again, search through topics and find specific posts. I also love the fact that forums do not overwhelm you with commercials.

I'm on FB, but only because I have a business page.




I agree.

How much of the activity on Facebook is just the same thing over and over. Every second day someone wants an ID on a two tone finger fin. Same questions get asked over and over.

Facebook is nice to follow significant catches, here and there an interesting conversation takes place.

But I prefer the forum format if you are looking for serious advice or info. The forum doesn't need to be very active to be of use, most questions have been asked and I read old topics regularly just for the fun of it, so much info hidden where it's not easy to find by just using a search function.

Serious or interesting questions and topics on the forum will get responses.

I think you might be right that forum's are on the out though, but the problem is with people, not the forums.

I spoke to a old timer teacher recently.I asked her if she has seen any affect of social media on the kids in school today compared to before. According to her children in schools have lost the ability to research problems and formulate solutions. If they can't Google the answer instantly they struggle.

I think it's the same with forum users.

Correct - I agree on google, as a search tool the person will search to give/supply an answer, but will not really remember the question or answer later on...as it was so easy to obtain it. I have used google for a few things - I cooked a duck once, oranges etc...duck l'orange - came out perfect thanks to google, but I made a point of etching the recipe in my small brains..
 

Limpopoking

Sealiner
Houtarm wrote:
Limpopoking wrote:
I dislike just about everything about FB... I find it to be a sort of "attention deficit" kind of media.

I'm a forum guy thru and thru. I love the fact that you can revive old threads as they become relevant again, search through topics and find specific posts. I also love the fact that forums do not overwhelm you with commercials.

I'm on FB, but only because I have a business page.

I agree.

How much of the activity on Facebook is just the same thing over and over. Every second day someone wants an ID on a two tone finger fin. Same questions get asked over and over.

Facebook is nice to follow significant catches, here and there an interesting conversation takes place.

But I prefer the forum format if you are looking for serious advice or info. The forum doesn't need to be very active to be of use, most questions have been asked and I read old topics regularly just for the fun of it, so much info hidden where it's not easy to find by just using a search function.

Serious or interesting questions and topics on the forum will get responses.

I think you might be right that forum's are on the out though, but the problem is with people, not the forums.

I spoke to a old timer teacher recently.I asked her if she has seen any affect of social media on the kids in school today compared to before. According to her children in schools have lost the ability to research problems and formulate solutions. If they can't Google the answer instantly they struggle.

I think it's the same with forum users.

((goodp_
 

CharlesF

Senior Member
Serra you nailed it. I have also noted this on SL and UA also other forums like Cycad Friends.

I am a die-hard fan of the forums and (as already said) they have a wealth of knowledge.

FB seems to be very "shallow".
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
CharlesF wrote:
Serra you nailed it. I have also noted this on SL and UA also other forums like Cycad Friends.

I am a die-hard fan of the forums and (as already said) they have a wealth of knowledge.

FB seems to be very "shallow".

Thanks buddy, as mentioned on the FB sites unless "files" or "notes" are saved in a "vault" a newbie cannot obtain any info / tips etc... shallow is the word !
 

CACTUS JACK

New member
The Facebook sites are full of keyboard cowards - because there is no community, it just becomes a big slagging match with tons of blaming, whining and finger pointing.
The forums have respectful advice and a sense of pride. When shopping for 2nd hand gear I would far rather trust a forum member than some random on FB.
 

hrogers

Senior Member
I've got face book but hardly use it, when it's someone
birthday then I can use face book to post on his timeline
I still prefer to log in daily to the fishing forums.

SL / UA / Alantani ( fishing reel repair and there is a lot of info as well) Tacklebag.co.za
Namibia fishing forum is very quite not much happen there
I do receive mails form Capetown fishing and they keep me updated via email
 

willem wikkel spies

Moderator
Staff member
some good replies already.
it has been discussed previously.

Sealine is like a library!!!!
anything and everything under the sun, about fishing has been discussed already.

so it is here in the archives.

only on the tips and tricks side of angling, can we basically elaborate or hand out the tips.....

looking at the rods and reels...there are so many on the market, it is hard to keep track of them all.
especially new models

so knowledge around the new reels and rods on the market and feedback on them are not freely available.

I still use old technology rods, reels are also quite old, but at least upgraded from the jigmaster 500 range.

they still do the job, so why do I need to change?
I have learnt that knowing when, how and where to find fish is a better weapon then the equipment being used.

looking at face book....eisch.

those moderators are working overtime, poor old bastards!!!!
kry vir julle...lol
the information as stated is indeed shallow.

yes one can do some good stuff....if you are a attention seeker!!!!
feedback might be quick......and so people too who like to judge on fbook.


on sealine you can still use a user name, which can hide your identity....not so much on facebook.


so their users should be aware.....any wrong statement etc, might end up in you loosing your job.

or being slayed in the fishing community.....

I recall a certain incident...which was of poor taste...
which also turned quite bad.

it was with the sardine run...where a employee was tasked to keep sharks away from the netted sardines, this poor oak then hit a shark...…

a video was posted and he was named and shamed, and most people judge him!!!!
they made him apologize on social media... what a disgrace!!!!

I took the liberty and informed mr. Cameron Johnson....as he is a moderator, that this poor oak should take them to court for defamation of character...and sue their pants off them. as the moderators should also protect people from being humiliated...…


then just like that the whole post was deleted....

so, if you want to use face broek, please do so at your own peril.
they do not have the knowledge this site has and they will never have it.

if one looks further....sealine does not have shit.....
moderators hardly need to jump in to prevent ships sinking or personal attacks being made.

this is because most of us here, are grown up anglers.
we do not have many keyboard anglers here, we have men and ladies with real fishing knowledge.

we do have many roof kykers...that is clear.
and old members are still active and they do tend to pop in at times....

we do need some new info....on diy….etc.
and the guys need to post their fishing reports.
they should post their catches...…
and they should not be afraid of being judged on the fish they kept when it was within their right to do so.

we should also refrain from personal attacks at times "hardly ever happens nowa days as the kaf has left the field"

one thing that we should not forget is that Sealine is free, free for all.
we are lucky to still have it this way.

so lets see, how we can take Sealine to the next level.. together.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
WWS - well said

I certainly agree 1000% on new products and reviews, can't KEEP track, are they really "new" or just a slight upgrade with a different name / colour ? LOL, just joking of course I know they do upgrade stuff to last longer and perform better.

What I enjoy/ed about SL and UA in the days, were these descriptive posts on fishing outings, (1) Weather conditions (2) bait used (3) tackle used etc, like a real proper write up. And then the okes used to posts like 10 pics with the post.

Also I enjoy the restore / revamp projects on boats for example - like "John Doe" doing a Ski Vee revamp over a 6 months period etc..

Another favourite of mine - the "golden oldies" pics of yester year, and info on the pioneers of fishing in SA, the museum collections great as well.

The reality is: a) People moved on, immigrated etc b) Kids c) Change of location, people moving inland d) Suppose a money factor and a change of hobbies e) Some passed on RIP = Who knows who's gonners from SL? In a nutshell there's so many variables as to why people leave forums, again I say it's "connectivity" of social platforms, it's quick and easy and you have an instant audience of 50K people.
 

Frikster

Senior Member
I wonder if it is not the bad economy that is causing this, or do you guys think its a shift into the new smartphone technology?

Think its the latter , but also a bit of whats going on in the country atm.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
Frikster wrote:
I wonder if it is not the bad economy that is causing this, or do you guys think its a shift into the new smartphone technology?

Think its the latter , but also a bit of whats going on in the country atm.

Could be, see what I said I suppose the likes of FB and W/app is more interactive...so yes I agree
 
Top