[u]Part 1[/u] Friday night after work my driver

kirk

Senior Member
Hi Mark

fantastic report super pics thanks,

One question you might be able to shed light on the Red Island pics, when flying over Madagascar I've noticed this all over the place , seems as if its extreeme errosion taking place ? is it natural or is it induced due to poor farming practices i.e tree felling , slash and burn practices? Or is it Just high levels of dissolved minerals in the water?

cheers Kirk.
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Howzit Kirk,

 

The erosion is natural; very little farming other than rice farming is done in Madagascar. We just had 10 days of solid rain so the river was carrying a fairly high load.

 

Near Mahajunga there is a flat top hill that is about 90m high and is totally eroded in half even though the catchment at the top is small; the natural density of the soil is most likely low and the vast majority of Madagascar is mountainous with steep slopes and relatively low forest coverage.

 

When i came to Madagascar i could not believe how mountainous it was; to drive 160km as the crow flies to the east coast it takes 6 hours and the road distance is about 260km!

 
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Nice picures and report - thanks

Any reason for using a solid ring vs swivel , baring in mind that you using spinning reels and may be subject to line twist ?

Thanks
 

kirk

Senior Member
blaasoppie#1 wrote:
Howzit Kirk,

 

The erosion is natural; very little farming other than rice farming is done in Madagascar. We just had 10 days of solid rain so the river was carrying a fairly high load.

 

Near Mahajunga there is a flat top hill that is about 90m high and is totally eroded in half even though the catchment at the top is small; the natural density of the soil is most likely low and the vast majority of Madagascar is mountainous with steep slopes and relatively low forest coverage.

 

When i came to Madagascar i could not believe how mountainous it was; to drive 160km as the crow flies to the east coast it takes 6 hours and the road distance is about 260km!

 
Ok that settles that , it just seems so vast the erosion that is, as if the whole sections are being washed away as you said . It also looks so prehistoric ie. the features of the landscape - I will have to visit this intriguing Island one day its a shame its in such a poor shape from governance point of view it has such a vast potential.
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
kirk wrote: " I will have to visit this intriguing Island one day its a shame its in such a poor shape from governance point of view it has such a vast potential."

The erosion issue has also had me rather concerned Kirk.

The perception of "poor governance" be in true or not,  from a purely selfish fisherman tourist perspective is great news....keeps costs at reasonable levels, keeps the waters relatively uncrowded and unexploited. Mark is very lucky and doubt when he goes to his spots he ever sees another boat - well certainly not a commercial charter boat ?

And from an even more selfish perspective I wish Mark wouldnt post all these wonderful reports -  LOL - because its going to make it more difficult for me to get onto  a boat there - when people feel its right they will flood in - good for the country and people of course.

The cost of a trip to say the Seychelles is out of reach for most of us but Madagascar still within reach to quite a few of us - I suspect only due to poor perceptions by would be  tourists.

Wonderful island it is  and certainly worth a visit . When I was there the governance was good enough for me::S
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Hi Bruce,

I will be going over to a swivel when i find the right one for my medium and heavy gear; on my lighter Blue Noodle i use a speed clip and a SPRO 80lb swivel which has a small profile.

P3130326.jpg
 

The speed clip is good for up to about 80lbs, but i would not feel too comfortable with a big Doggie on the other end.

I think companies like Sampo and Spro would do well with a jigging swivel; 80-150lb with a 300lb solid ring on the bottom; most of the swivels with good size rings are a enormous.

Bruce next time you come to Madagascar you can be guaranteed a Blue Marlin; i picked one up at the gas station on the way out!

P3140398.jpg
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Haha - for sure I will try for a Blue Marlin

I am not a swivel man Mark only because fish mostly with overheads - but I understand the NT swivel is the one to go for(fishingbuddy have them ) - like the thought of a BB on top  as frees up the jig movement even more as can rotate on both axis. The Nomad guys use them (plain ones)  so am sure if they happy then quality is good.

Am sure youve seen the recent stories on the big BFT in the US and those guys  are  just tying assist straight to swivel without any solid ring involved - I think ?

As I say never used a swivel myself but am considering it ....but then I have to try the solid ring /grommet first.....so many options but no time on the water:(
 

Iman

New member
blaasoppie#1,

Which blue rose do you recommend for 40-100m of water and which will handle fish from 15kg+ I was thinking about th S517F. Can you help me to choose one please! The Jigs I would use wold be from 160g to 240g ( but more 200g)
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Iman wrote:
Which blue rose do you recommend for 40-100m of water and which will handle fish from 15kg+ I was thinking about th S517F. Can you help me to choose one please! The Jigs I would use wold be from 160g to 240g ( but more 200g)
Iman,

The S517F is by far the best rod that i have jigged with; light enough to jig for many hours and has a huge amount of power to handle any size fish.

I found 200g to be the best weight jig for the rod, but it easily handles a 250g jig.

The only negative comment i have on the rod is that the reel seat clamp is above the reel and it tends to loosen when you are fighting a strong fish as that’s where i place my top hand; it only loosens slightly and is not a major issue.

 
 

ONDE ONDA

New member
Good one I am gob smacked, the  photos awesome. you will surly miss the fishing once your contract expires carry on the excellent reports well-done Mark  
 
Top