SPRINGER

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
Hi guys.

 

Can someone please give me some tips on how to hook a Skipjack on Lures.

I will be targeting them at Swartkops. I have spent many hours in the morning targeting Leeries and these Skipjacks are everywhere and when the Leerie arent playing game i would like to get a Skipjack or two.

 

What lures or retrieve works best.

Thanks
 

steve m

Sealiner
that must be near the top of my list to catch but apparentaly for every 10 you hook on average you land 1 or 2
 

SUNSHINE

Senior Member
If I can just start hooking them ill be happy.

Theres plenty in Swartkops near the train bridge but dont know how to hook them.

neilg? ^^..
 

Marshie

Senior Member
I saw tons of big mullet there a few weeks back but no skippies.  Did you see them "rolling"?

Lures that work are Mirrolures (7MR, 44MR and Provoker); leadheads; Strike pro's. 
 

Splasher

Sealiner
Most of the skippies i`ve caught on lures have been when the swimming prawns are around. other times you see them rolling on the surface, then the best retrieve using a leadhead or dropshot is lifting your rod tip from water level all the way past your head quickly and then straight back down to the water letting the lure drop along way down to the bottom. Dont be surprised when on the next lift your on!
 

JJ Pienaar

Sealiner
Okay i have caught them in the durban bay but on fly... We use what we flyfishermen call poper's or sliper's , they like surface action poper imitaite a dieing or injured bait fish.. Another trick i read by Sidesh Prisad(spelling) What u do is get a bait shole eg' here in the bay by us we have glassies small little bait fish..Look for a shole that are getting harast by these springer..Cast your fly in to them, the trick is not to retrf the fly but to let the fly sink slwly as springer rather hit the bait fish with out swallowing on the hit , after the hit he will look for the one's he injured and pick them up like that... Small fly's work well but keeping it in the mouth while it jump's and go's bilistic is a nother story.. Live bait also work realy we, pinky's ,glasie's etc.. if u want your drop shot to flwt rather use a hook with on jig head tie a realy small piece of foam to it and force the drop shot over the foam and hook this is not to keep it from sinking but it slow's down the pace at what it sinks at keeping the lure in the strike zone 4 longer.. Tight line's and good luck with landing one of those 8 to 9 kg beast's..JJ
 
Hi guys,

I have also only ever caught them on fly, Crazy Charlies- orange or yellow, just under the surface, with a fairly quick retrieve.

If you were trying to get them on art lure, a similar approach would be needed, I can think that a 2" minnows in hot colors on a 1/8oz #1hook with a medium paced retrieve should do the trick.

Please let us know what happens.
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi guys.

 

Can someone please give me some tips on how to hook a Skipjack on Lures.

I will be targeting them at Swartkops. I have spent many hours in the morning targeting Leeries and these Skipjacks are everywhere and when the Leerie arent playing game i would like to get a Skipjack or two.

 

What lures or retrieve works best.

Thanks
Use suspending jerk baits like the rapala x-rap splash bait, you retreive and pause, it is on the pause you get the takes, also you can use weightless plastic jerk baits, again on the pause you will get the hits. May favorite coulor is white.
 

Cpt. Hook

Sealiner
Fishing Adventures wrote:
SUNSHINE wrote:
Hi guys.

 

Can someone please give me some tips on how to hook a Skipjack on Lures.

I will be targeting them at Swartkops. I have spent many hours in the morning targeting Leeries and these Skipjacks are everywhere and when the Leerie arent playing game i would like to get a Skipjack or two.

 

What lures or retrieve works best.

Thanks
Use suspending jerk baits like the rapala x-rap splash bait, you retreive and pause, it is on the pause you get the takes, also you can use weightless plastic jerk baits, again on the pause you will get the hits. May favorite coulor is white.
I forgot, they can also be taken on dead drifted flies like small decievers etc.
 

neilg

Sealiner
SUNSHINE wrote:

sorry bud, can't be of any assistance, never targetted them before (well not that I can remember), I have read up a little on them, but not enough to be of any assistance to you.

I do know that they are caught just inside Swartkops mouth

I would suggest you speak to Chad Alcock, I know they have caught a few of them in Swartkops.

Remember, Swartkops also have some MONSTER mullet that would be hard work on light tackle setups.
 

frank22

Sealiner
u can catch them on small deciever flies and black green and silver whistlers, use them on spinning rods with small split shots keep pestering them with this fly, don't throw on top of them throw the fly about a metre and a half to the left or the right of the fish and keep at it they will take it as more of an annoyance than actually eating it . hope this helps
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2262.JPG
    IMG_2262.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 117
Top