Sightcasting to Yellowtail

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Well as promised here is the begining of the sightcasting to Yellowtail from the boat post. One of my main reasons for doing this post is to try show you guys how effective this form of fishing is.

I will share my experiences over the past 22months only targetting Yellowtail in False Bay and outside of the point. In this time my crew and I have caught 359 tail with only a handful being caught on the troll. Most were caught by sightcasting with plugs and spinners.

Had the fishing inside the bay been better in the pasts two summers I reckon you could add more than 100 fish to that total. The problem that we have had in my opinion is that we had SE and within 24hrs the wind has been out the west or NW within 24hrs of that it would be back to gale force SE or E winds.

We saw the fish where they were supposed to be but we also saw the temp dropping 3 degrees in a matter of hours when the Westerlys blew. The days when fish are moving with thier heads at a slight angle downwards and are travelling fast you will also find them to be very skitish. Very difficult to catch them I have seen fish get spooked when my braid touches the water after a cast well ahead of them.

When I decided to stop fishing with bait a few years ago I concentrated on Elf then Leervis then I started Tail and let me tell you I couldn't go back to catching Elf at Blakes other than to say hi to the regulars there. Tail are awesome fish to catch I have been pulled to my knees in the boat with my hands pinned to the gunnel with a 7 to 8kg foul hooked fish in 8m of water.

My boat:

I have a 510 centre consol Seacat with two 50 4stroke yamahas. This and the 520 supercat now Supreme craft are excellent boats for this kind of fishing. I prefer a centre consol as you can cast and retrieve out of all angles. You can never have enough rod holders on your boat even if you don't take that many rods we fish with 2 each. It becomes handy when you have landed a fish, there is a place to put the rod. Alan Stewart put on extra holders for me and put a holder close to the wheel for the skipper I think he was tired of me moaning that he always gets first cast even though that doesn't help him. LOL Thanks Alan.

A cat offers a wider beam and is more stable to cast from.

Tackle: Rods and Reels

I have changed to spinning rods and reels. I rate myself as a pretty good caster with multipliers but spinning reels are the answer. You can cast the whole day in any position and out of any angle. I have seen guys get so exited when they see fish myself included that it sometimes gets the better of you. An overwind is the last thing you need when you have found fish as there are days when you see fish and its the last fish you see that day. Oh by the way everyone gets an overwind from time to time its not impossible.

I have converted quite a few guys to this kind of tackle and they have converted others. There are people who say its to easy now everyone can cast at fish, well I agree that is one of the positives on spinning reels.

I use Sustain 6000's on 8ft Exages, you get 2 spools with the Sustains so I have 4 filled with 20Lb, 30Lb and 50Lb powerpro.

Lures: Spinners (spoons)

My favourite spinners from the boat are, Small roundbacks 70g(WM90) and 45g(WM90), Small flatback 60g(WM90), Couta 70g (tin), WB snake 70g(WM90), Ashley Read small snake(tin) and Alan Stewarts Whally Whecks (tin) if you lucky. I am sure my future ones will be made with sinkers.

Plugs:

I have loads of plugs, this is my prefered way to catch yellowtail. There are blue, black, green, yellow and white plugs. These are made for me by a mate. Tail prefer a plug that tracks straight and doesn't make a massive comotion on the surface. They are therefore long slender chisel nose plugs. I will post a pic of all the different lures during the week. The plugs vary in weight from 40g to 80g.

The few tests I have done with the plugs and colours to see if it makes a difference or not is still under investigation. I have experienced days when only people with blue have caught and the same with green far outfishing white. Days when the fish ate green that you could not wind fast enough to get the plug away from the fish, then later with the sun being at 10 o clock they ate blue, black and white. So I am still trying to work that one out.

As a general rule use green or yellow in green water, Blue or white in blue water. Early morning or in overcast conditions use a darker coloured plug. A very thin plug (slim shady) works well when the sea is very calm.

Which Lure to use and some of my thoughts on it:

One of the great things about sightcasting is once you have found fish and you fish the shoal correctly you can use your time to see what the fish want. This is especially true when you are fishing inside of the bay when shoals of fish can be seen swimming close to the surface.

Early season like now this is what I think happens wether it is so or not I can't say all I do know is that this is the story my records show. When the SE starts to blow it causes upwelling West of the point this upwelling causes the phytoplankton to bloom. The anchovy spawn which I think travels from the aghulas(spelling) banks now hatches and feeds on this plankton. The tail then feed on the anchovy.

Last year this time we caught tail in the triangle SW reef, Bellows and Anvil. This past weekend we caught them in this area with spinners same as last year. The difference is that this weekends fish were small, these are normally the first fish to enter the bay at the beginning of a season. So it is a good sign.

Two things should happen with this strong SE we are getting for the next few days either the fish will come into the bay or will go to Rocky bank. I have been proven wrong plenty times when it comes to trying to work out tail but thats what should happen. The fish that was caught South of Rocky bank in the winter we found fish in that area at the end of January I think in the months prior to winter we got fish there 7 times out of 10 boat alone.

I have found quite a few different temp lines South of the bank thats why we went looking there when the water was cold elsewhere. When the water is cold you can catch fish, a fish can acclimitize(spelling) to cooler water but if the temp is 15 then within a few hours or a day its 12 your chances are slim.

For this time of the year if the fish move into the bay as soon as there is a drop in pressure the fish will exit the bay. I believe that tail can pick up a drop in the pressure before you can see the drop on your barometer at home. Early season I have noticed that fish will follow a spinner but as soon as the spinners breaks surface the fish will turn off. If this happens use a round back as it holds deeper in the water.


Early season with the fish in the triangle feeding on tiny anchovies use small spinners this is also when a spinning reel is great. If you still don't come right try position your boat so that when the fish follow the spinner they follow into the sun. This tactic has worked for us on a few occasions.

My records show that most of the fish we caught in the past 12months has been in water from 14C to 15.6C which is possibly on the cooler side. I am hoping this season with the El Nino effect we will have more temps between 15C and 17C then I reckon it will be a killer season.

I must get to bed I will continue this tomorrow night. If there is anything that you guys would like to know or ask please do and I will see if I can give you the answers. And I would like to reiterate that these are my experiences and views, they are by no means law and I don't know everything and feel free to add anything. Cheers Paul (MM)

 

 

 

 

 
 

Zane

New member
Hi,

That was a very interesting article.  I have never had the good fortune of catching yellowtail in our inshore waters.

Do you take on additional crew.  What are the costs per person if so?

Sincerely,
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
awesome post, looking forward the the follow up!! Perhaps you can mention hooks used on the different lures aswell as the hookup, what to do when the fish grabs the lure, or when you getting chased!
 

will101

Senior Member
Muffin Man my man, me ben waitin for dis post fo a long time. BIG UP and mana to you!! See you off the point asap.
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
These are a few of the spinners that I am planning to cast at fish for the next month or so while they are tuned into small anchovy.

The one on the left is a baby Keel 35g(WM90), the next one is a Barry Vine flatback 60g(WM90), the next is a double flat 42g(tin), the next is a flatback 45g(WM90) and the last is a Lious Boshoff Roundback 70g(WM90).

I will continue the post tonight when at home. Thanks for the positive responses, I will give you(Dorado) the info in my post tonight. Cheers Paul (MM).
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0346 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0346 (Large).JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 837

Tuna fish

Senior Member
Jo Muffin Man awesome post there mate and very informative but Please correct me if i am wrong but i have always thought that the west wind brought in the warm water into the bay " west is best "

Cheers

TF
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Fantastic post and info Paul, huge thanks for taking so much time and effort to share your hard earned knowledge and tricks with everyone, top class mate!!!

Mana for ya for sure!!!
 

iggy

Sealiner
Thx for a very insightful post. Question: do you ever use plastic skirts with the spoons (bling) and do you polish/shine the spoons? I want to try this kind of fishing from my kayak in Dec.
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Thanks, and if I can convert skippers who like to troll alot into sightcasters I reckon you will see this sport grow and hopefully see some artlure comps. It would be fantastic, artlure fishing by sightcasting to Yellowtail is the Bees Knees. Once you are hooked its tickets. We have a resource that people the world over would die over.

Dorado on the hooks I try to use singles but sometimes change to trebles. An example of this was over the weekend I was using a small spinner with a 6/O Mustard Big Gun with an oval clip. The eye of the hook is not wide enough for the clip to pass through freely. This causes the hook to lock and sometimes because its a small spinner it gets wrapped when it lies inside the hooks gape. 

The Hooks I use are VMC Livebait from 5/O to 9/0 and Mustard Big Gun. I have tried bandit but the ones I bought were not strong enough. I took a mate to sea who has never caught Tail before and once Wayne and I had shown him the ropes. We normally only show you the ropes when you are trailing behind badly, jokes. He had caught fish on the plug and I changed it for him to a spinner.

He complained that I had given him a dud spinner so I told him to give it back so I could reclip a plug. He gave me the spinner and the hook was straight. I use a bigger hook on a plug as the hook must be proud behind the plug. A spinners action gets effected if your hook is to big and heavy.

When you retrieving a lure never stop winding until the lure gets to the boat a fish can come out of nowhere and eat you. When a fish follows you slowly (not turned on) speed up your retrieve. You get different takes in different situations. It can be a full on assualt by a whole shoal of fish , I have had a shoal of more than 50 fish turn onto a plug and turn the sea into a patch of white water, to a fish come up behind you speed up and you watch the plug being inhaled.

I like to pull fish hard, call me a bonehead, but I told my doctor that I fish for excercise he laughed. I enjoy the directness of the braid. We also fish spots where you have to pull hard otherwise the tail will reef you. I fish with a tight drag. A couple of years ago I was so proud that I had not been reefed before I started to believe that only sissies got reefed. Well guess who got reefed a few months into the new season.

If a fish eats your plug or spinner do not strike, just keep winding when you can't wind anymore just lift the rod tip and lean into the fish then pull. You can never wind to fast for a yellowtail.


Iggy I used to sand all my spinners to get a chrome like finish ending up using waterpaper. I do not do it anymore I have some that shine more than others when they have just come out the mould and have not been used before. I have spinners made from tin, WM90 and H11. I do not use skirts on any of my spinners. I know of a bloke who has left Cape Town for Durban who has got into kayaking and he has done very well using his yellowtail spinners in comps up that way.


Tactics: Inside the Bay:

What I will sometimes do is go to Fish Hoek, Simonstown or Smits after work in the car with a pair of poloriods. I go to all the places the trekkers have spotters if I see fish I make a mental note of the lines they are swimming. The next day I then know where to concentrate my efforts.

In the Bay I have caught fish in Fish Hoek and Quarry area, Millers, Black rocks, Buffels and close to Penguin Rock. It would be greatly appreciated if skippers didn't fish infront of Rooikrans as there aren't only fish there and the manne there work hard for thier fish.

As I have said before fish swim lines in the bay there are incoming fish and outgoing fish. Fish that move out might be met by colder water on the outside and will sound and turn back on another line. When you find fish take note of what they are doing and in which direction they are swimming. Position your boat infront of the shoal but not in their direct line, they must swim past you within casting range.

Cast ahead of the shoal and retrieve the lure past the lead fish if the fish are keen all hell will break loose. If not and only one or two have a look but immediately rejoin the shoal they aren't that keen. A way to catch fish like this which has worked for me in the past is to cast ahead of the shoal and time my retrieve that the spinner is brought a few inches past the lead fish almost klapping them. I do not know if it is an aggression strike or not but one of the lead fish will sometimes nail the spinner.

Keep trying this by staying ahead of the shoal, when they are out of casting range make a wide turn and get infront again. A plug thrown over a shoal and come over them fast can also work. If you get a few fish out of a shoal and things go quite give the shoal a break this is easy when there are other shoals in the area which there often are. But if its the only one you can see hang off them a while then try again.

Drifting is a good option as you are not creating much disturbance on the water. If you know that there is fish in the bay and the warmer water is at Buffels go to the area and drift. Look for disturbances on the surface while you are waiting for the sun to get higher. If you know that the fish have been moving along the kelp line you can go cast blind along those lines. The sun is what you need to be able to see fish if they are'nt breaking surface or causing slight bow wave ripples from swimming just below the surface.

Once the sun is at 10am you will start to find it easier to see clearly into the water with poloriods. The sun will make it easier to spot different coloured water what we refer to as light patches. These patches are normally tail swimming quiet deep and the shoal shows as a light mustard coloured patch which is moving.

When the fish start milling (forming big round swirling shoals)in a few months time, I have heard that this is when the males rub the underside of the females prior to spawning. Do not know if thats a fact. The fish are also difficult to catch I often wish I had a speargun onboard. Although I would not want to be a diver around these shoals I have seen a Great white shark come from underneath one of these shoals at full taps.

A plug thrown over the top and retrieved fast can result in a strike, no you are not allowed to jig them. A perfect season in the Bay I would start the beginning of the season casting spinners water 14C/15C then later change to plugs when water temps are slightly warmer. Having said that we have caught them on plugs in 14C and colder.

I am trying to work out a theory on this and this is what I have so far. I can't recall ever seeing anchovies jumping out the water even when being chased by predators. I have seen what I think are tiny sprats jumping on the surface in clear blue warm water. I have seen flying fish fly away from predators and garfish porpise (spelling) away from Tail in warmer water 17C/18C. If this is so then when its early season and a fish which I reckon is or has been feeding on anchovy turns off a spinner that has broken the surface, it makes me wonder if I am onto something. If you throw a topwater lure, when the fish are feeding on garfish which break surface when being chased, it gets nailed.

It is impossible to work out Tail but I will keep on trying. You can get a theory then the next time out the total opposite happens but thats part of the beauty about targetting Yellowtail. I will continue this again tomorrow night. Cheers Paul (MM)



 
 

kraken

Senior Member
Excellent Paul! I seriously think its time for me to flog the rock and surf gear, get an afterhours job and open a Ukrainian whorehouse in order to get the tom to buy a decent boat.......

Hell, maybe I should enrol my 3 year old son in pro golf/tennis classes-I'm sure I 'd make a good manager........

Looking forward to the next epeisode!
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
Thanks for another excellent post Paul and for answering the questions.

I have caught countless tons of tail in and outside the bay mainly on the troll and bait, but i would really like to change that!! Thanks for all the info, hope to hear more!!
 

Seeker1

Senior Member
Tuna fish wrote:
Jo Muffin Man awesome post there mate and very informative but Please correct me if i am wrong but i have always thought that the west wind brought in the warm water into the bay " west is best "

Cheers

TF

During the summer in the Buffels, Smits area when the north west wind comes up the water tempreture will drop 3 to 4 degrees in an hour when the warm surface water is blown offshore causing the cold water to well-up from the bottom.

You can be catching tail in 17 degree water and a hour later will have dropped to 14 deg, but the fish will still be there and as soon as the wind drops the temp. goes back up. 

Great post Skipper, you get the message across very well. 
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Here is a pic of some of the plugs I use. The white one is 72g, the next 2 green and blue are what we refer to as Slim Shadys they are 50g, the following one green (thin and slightly wider) is a 72g Wafer. Because it has a larger surface area you can slow down your retrieve and it doesn't sink I like using this in choppy conditions. The next two are Malcohm Botha Runners 60g each and the last one is a yellow 63g plug.

If you have spent the day catching tail on plugs you are going to battle to fall asleep at night. Each chase and explosion behind your plug will be played over and over in your mind. When retrieving a plug, once the plug hits the surface I will hold my rod tip up at around 45 degrees and as it gets closer to the boat I start to drop the tip.

Will continue tonight and thanks again for all the responses. Cheers Paul (MM).
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0347 (Large).JPG
    DSCF0347 (Large).JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 717

Tuna fish

Senior Member
Again Great Info Muffin man

Seeker - what wind then warms the water off the point and south west reefs ? The south east warm the bay inshore but out side the point still tends to be cold ?? You input here would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers


TF


Seeker1 wrote:
Tuna fish wrote:
Jo Muffin Man awesome post there mate and very informative but Please correct me if i am wrong but i have always thought that the west wind brought in the warm water into the bay " west is best "

Cheers

TF

During the summer in the Buffels, Smits area when the north west wind comes up the water tempreture will drop 3 to 4 degrees in an hour when the warm surface water is blown offshore causing the cold water to well-up from the bottom.

You can be catching tail in 17 degree water and a hour later will have dropped to 14 deg, but the fish will still be there and as soon as the wind drops the temp. goes back up. 

Great post Skipper, you get the message across very well. 
 

Bingo

Senior Member
Howzit Paul.

Great post, thanx for sharing all the info. Will a BG 30 work for casting spoons and plugs to Yellowtail ???

Tight lines...:fishn
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Awesome sharing Paul,seeing as I am the world champion in the open categorie for motion sickness,I doubt if I would ever be able to share your off-shore joys with you,but your descriptions are very vivid and simple at the same time.

::SYoure making me see chases when I'm supposed to work.::S
 
Top