[color=#006600]bjornh[/color] wrote:
i work at basil manning in durbs and i can tell you first hand every freakin time we re-order the prices have gone up...and often not by R2 or some change, usually the increases are significant. Rapala increased their prices by 25% across the board a while back!Shimano are going to increase their prices by a similar margin SOON!
Daiichi's are going to cost up to 60% more...and we bring em in as 'our' product (wholesale and retail).
i promise you the last thing a guy like barry wareham wants to do is rip a customer off, he gets as bleak as any of you!
and then there's the issue of raising prices of old stock to come in line with the new prices. It's something that has to be done..it's not like we'r taking advantage of anything. some of the suppliers insist on a standardised price across the board, if we keep undercutting other stores we risk getting told to find our stock from someone else.
tight lines guys
Don't know Barry, I know he has to make a living though, nobody works or goes into business because it's fun, we all do it to make money. Some just choose NOT TO RIP PEOPLE OFF (because they can). I'm not saying that Barry does this hey. But it's a fact that ALOT of fishing tackle dealers do it. Terminal tackle is a PERFECT EXAMPLE.
About the agents telling YOU what to charge ... IT IS CALLED PRICE FIXING. Do you wanne report them or shall I ... ?
NOBODY and I really mean NOBODY can tell you what to charge for something, except if it's gazetted (it's law then, like petrol).
I deal in Quicksilver Marine Oil and Diving equipment. I also use to deal in High End Airrifles (the 6000-20000 stuff).
The suppliers give me a recommended retail price, it's my choice if I want to charge less or if I want to charge more. Should one of them DARE to tell me I can't buy from them because I cut out the competition (because I charge less the the RRP) we WILL GO TO COURT and they WILL BE INVESTIGATED FOR PRICE FIXING. Have you seen the fines you get for PRICE FIXING ? Not funny. Go read the contract your company signed with your suppliers, what is their terms for cancelling an agreement ? I'm pretty sure that selling something below RRP isn't in there.
I advertised equipment on the internet, at a MUCH LOWER price than the RRP (recommended markup was 30%, I advertised with a 15% markup), supplier phoned me and said the other dealers are threatening ... I just asked one question, is it a RRP or is it a fixed price. That is where the conversation stopped. The next day I phoned the importer and explained to them about Price Fixing, they were very aware of it and said they can't force me, I then further explained that I was running a special (which any and every business does every now and then), this made them very happy, then I explained to them that I will run that special everyday for as long as my business is open.
Hell I got phonecalls from other companies (that compete against me), and some of them made some serious threats. Lets just say that I did some more aggresive advertising, they now even sell less and they don't phone me anymore either.
This is exactly what business is all about, you COMPETE for your fair share of the market. I will rather sell 200L of oil a month at a 15% markup than 10L at a 30% markup. In the end YOU MAKE MORE MONEY.
As for raising prices of old stock, most companies do it, but I don't believe in doing it. A company should decide on a percentage markup and stick to it, older stock is older stock, you paid less for it, why suddenly change the price because the "new" stock is 30% more expensive. You know what, customers pick up on that, and in the long run you lose business when you do business like that.
I make a point of checking for the price adjustments in shops, if I see they do it I walk out, won't do business with them. I personally feel that they are ripping me off.
To end it off, I know the prices of ANYTHING and EVERYTHING imported into South Africa is going up, and it will get worse, I just don't believe in jumping on that Gravy Train for a free ride.
BUT THAT'S JUST ME ...