I have seen big cob caught near Strandfontein beac

I&J

New member
I have seen big cob caught near Strandfontein beach with bait. Never seen anyone spinning.

Cob are bottom feeders so spinning won't work. Dropshot is too light to caste that far as the sea is too flat.

Any suggestions?
 

steve m

Sealiner
Did you watch esa they fished with lures for cob in pe and the one guy got 2 of around 15kgs on havoc crankbaits.

But i have never seen anyone catch a cob in CT on lures in the surf.

spoons will wok just drag them slowly along the bottom and you must replace the treble on the spoon with a single or it will drag to much in the sand.

hope it helps
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
I've caught kob at night on a spoon retrieving it quickly during a shad smash. They dont mind chasing their food thats for sure!
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Have caught kob on a spinner (spoon) in the Strand area. Feels like hooking a plastic bag only really gives you a go in shorebreak.
 

scorpion

Senior Member
that is my goal for this upcoming season, i already got the tackle to cast far enough, you need a rod that can throw 1.5 to 2 oz jighead with a 5-7 inch soft plastic of sorts, or bucktail jig or lure. The reel can be any grinder 3000-4000 range braid 10lb-20lb and a short leader of about 0.50mm.

i need to go shopping for some bucktail jigs and spro grubs and have a look at the the spro aruku shad. After all that we just got to work the coast till we hit gold. i know it can be done
 

I&J

New member
aquadementia wrote:
I've caught kob at night on a spoon retrieving it quickly during a shad smash. They dont mind chasing their food thats for sure!
I thought the fish "smell" at night. How can they "see" the spoon?

Shad are ferocious feeders. I once cast a spoon and before it hit the water the shad jumped out grabbed it about one foot above the water.
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
i caught Kob and Geelbek in melkbos on dropshot from my inflatable in January, using sensation plastics, think they called shads!! when the fish were there i had a take on every cast!!

I am pretty sure that when the kob move into Kalk bay and baileys you will be able to get them from the side on Dropshot or other artificials..... grounds are a bit foul there for bouncing spinners along the ground though!
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
I&J you can still catch elf on a spinner (spoon) once the sun has gone down. If the guys have been throwing ABU (Seriola) spinners, best to throw for distance especially if spinning in windy conditions, once the sun has gone down they may change to a spinner with more of an action therefore giving off more of a vibration.

These vibrations are then picked up by the fish, you can expect a slower strike rate but you will still catch.  You are right though there are days when they will go moggy and I have had quite a few eat a plug on the surface, just wish they were a better class fish here in False Bay.  
 

I&J

New member
Yes, they are smaller here. Checked them out at Muizenberg corner. Near Bailies Cottage. Too many rocks there.
South Coast has the large ones.
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Dorado Hi I am sure that one will catch the kob on dropshot at those spots, I just don't know how many guys try. I don't have much faith in dropshotting from the side in False Bay. But then again I am not a dropshot fan.

I do however think that the paddletail plastics would be deadly wether you throw them and retrieve them is known as dropshot I have no idea. But if rigged weedless with the point of hook pushed under the skin I would also use them in the Strand area between Greenways and Harmony Park (Ou mans gat and Tooringkies(spelling).

I am going to fish like this at the end of the month in the Eastern Cape holding thumbs that it pays off. Cheers Paul (MM)
 

scorpion

Senior Member
jigstar has some jigheads with a swivel attachment. that way you can attach the bass style weedless hooks. i saw that rob kyle used owner jigheads rigged weedless. they cost about R30 a pop, only availible till 3/4oz. jigstar ones you get 1oz 2oz and 3oz
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Scorpion Hi. I am going to use the Owner ones with the Riptide Mullet (space guppy) paddletail rigged weedless. As I said in a previous post I am not a dropshot fan, I have used it and I have caught fish locally and overseas, but in my opinion it ends up being more expensive than bait. At sea off Witsand we can go through a packet of Berkley worms in less than an hour fishing for Santers. Put a bucktail jig down you can catch all day with one jig.

A spinner(spoon), plug or bucktail jig will allow me to catch most fish that I target. Hopefully I will have some luck in the Eastern Cape with the Kob on the paddletails, then I will let you know what has worked best. Cheers Paul (MM)
 

scorpion

Senior Member
Please do, in our neck of woods, we are try to target them from the surf so sofplastics are pretty durable unless the shad move in. i am also going to use some spro buctails and a packet of their grubs. hopefully the buctails will do the job without the need for grubs
 

Ice T

New member
Hi guys.Can anyone tell me where in Cape town i can buy the Havoc crankbait /lures that the guy in P.E. makes pls.I would like to try this method 'cos it looks interesting.Thanx
 
Top