Hi Aayne
Yip me as well, grew up next to the sea , caught all sorts, now I am taming the gauteng waters. The more you fish the better the results. The more you read / research the better you get. I keep it plain simple and effective with generally good results.
Many years ago my interest in carp fishing started in the western Cape area, North Paarl, Berg River, Small mouth Bass and Carp Paradise.
You will find that the tactics and baits used to target Carp can vary from dam to dam, river to river. As you fish and experiment with your methods make a list of what works where and use the list for the trips you make to these venues. The absolute strange thing is that sometimes this is just not good enough.
I have progressed considerably in the past 6 months here in the gauteng area. I experiment with my own made up and designed traces, I make my own Boilies, Lol in fact I have had guys buying them from me at the dams. I pre rig my own Boilies before my fishing outing. I dont use braid at all for Carp specimen angling. Ps Just my opinion, totaly over rated for Carp fishing. Like I said keep it plain simple and efective. The results will come. By all means I have not caught any massive Carp yet, but I know my turn will come. I have become absolutely facsinated with the equipment that some of the anglers use. Yoh! Its endless......No ways I will pay 40 rand for two made up specieman carp traces.
Hey even soak some sweetcorn kernels in that strawberry mixing syrp/juice.
Heres a pic of a recent fish of three I have caught at Rietvlei Dam Pretoria.......6.2kg the biggest so far. Had 3 fish in two outings. Rietvlei is extremely difficult to fish........