Help Saldanha

GHO

New member
Saldanha? Suspect? Don't scare me boet... this is why we are doing this away from Cape Town. Can it be dangerous out there?
 

André

New member
GHO,

The Saldanha harbour area is a safe haven to fish as the area is monitored by security from Portnet. What I presume Wayne is referring to is the rocky area where kiddies could possibly fall or slip. To date I have not heard of any suspect incidents occurring in the area. As I fish for a West Coast club, surely we would be the first to know.
 

GHO

New member
Thanks Andre... for a moment there I thought I had to pack the trusty ol' 9mm in my tackle box... LOL
 

Wayne

Sealiner
GHO,

What I ment was that you need to watch the kids as there is some big swells that come around that side ,as for your 9mm leave it at home this is a safe place and I have heard nothing of anything going on,did not mean to scare you...lol lol lol ,

Have a good trip and post those pics of the kids catching more than dad did..
 

GHO

New member
Just wondering... Saldanha should have a post office where I can get a bait licence? I only have angling licence that I bought by accident when I was looking for my freshie permit.

What does a bait licence cost? Also... where can I get the bait "bag" limits?... I don't wanna get caught with 1 prawn too many.
 

Wayne

Sealiner
GHO,

Buy your fish licence on a Friday as post office will be closed on Saturday( here by me it is anyways),there should be a pamflet there with all the bait you are allowed to take,and Im, sure some of the guy's here have good knowledge of what you can and how much you can take.
 

wollychop

New member
Howzit GHO. RE prawn pumps. Make like Grunter: 2l Coke bottle, lid on, bottom sawed off. Put open end over hole and push. Kids will have to be quick to grab the bugger as he ejects out another hole. Have fun!
 

GHO

New member
LOL thanks man... I actually bought a pump today... now I just hope I can get them suckers out of the sand ;-)
 

Wayne

Sealiner
GHO,

Pump them prawns under the bridge near the flea markrt in Muzienburg..I,m there as the sun is setting so no one can see me slip in there and pump.some nice size come out there.

 
 

GHO

New member
I'm about to head out the door to hit the road. Will let you know when I get back. I just hope my wife will allow me as much time at the water as I would want LOL
 
Hi there
Whats the fishing forecast for this weekend (07/07/07) out that way. I am going to be making a turn a Jacobsbaai and need to know if it is worth my while to take the fishing ski with. Thinking of working my may from Jacobsbaai to Moerie se baai. Any words of wisdom?
 

GHO

New member
Sheite... what a week...

I managed to get a bait permit on Tuesday but could only get bait on Wednesday at low tide. I went out in the afternoon at high tide but was told by the Portnet security guard to bugger off at the harbour so we went to Langebaan (by the military jetty) instead. The session brought no fish to the bank... not even a nibble. Went out again on Thursday with the same results. Came home on Friday with a butt load of prawn, blood worm and mussels.

The Tuesday when I got there there was virtually no wind and the snoek was running big time towards Columbine. There were more boat crews in the municipal holiday camp than in Houtbay (LOL). Wednesday the weather turned with a strong NW blowing the hell out of everything. The snoek ouens told me not to even bother as the fish don't bite in the NW. The wind was so bad that I cast 30deg to the right and ended up 30deg to the left by the time I had taken up the slack (I was using baitrunners - no sea kit yet) and on Thursday the NWter was even worse. The really sheite thing was that on Friday while I was packing... the snoek boats screamed out of the camp as the wing had turned East.

I was seriusly impressed with my "pomping" and casting skills though. I managed to get some impressively long and thick bloodworm and had no problem filling my quota of prawn in about 2 hours just below the camp site between the 2 wrecks. I also picked up some nice red bait on the beach and managed to get both white and black mussels although I froze my nuts off getting the whites as the water was near freezing. I was casting a 3 ounce lead with prawn easily as far as the okes with the sea kit at Langebaan (they didn't catch anything either) so now I'm really itching to get proper sea kit to see what I'm really capable of ;-)

In all... pomping was fun... sticking it in was easy but pulling it out left me unsatisfied ;-) but hey... there's always a next time... LOL

Now I'm going to use the bloodworm to catch me a barbel at Zandvlei ;-)

Thanks again for all the help guys.
 

dalkill

Member
Well like the saying goes, A bad day fishing is better than a good day at work.

Don't beat yourself up to much about your blank. This time of year is not really langebaan weather. I bet not even the langebaan king, Scorpion, could have pulled out anything.

Just one note on the wind. We have caught some very nice bloukoppe on the strong NW in the baan already. So it's not impossible, by all accounts, strong SE is preferable - a few days before and on the day,.

Look on the bright side, you now have the real "skietgoed" for the steenbras. Some nice ones showing at strandfontein recently.
 

scorpion

Senior Member
i think billy is the king of langebaan, the baan has just been good to me in the last three seasons. this year there is no portnet to get the real big boys. i will be try for hound sharks this year at the baan more than stumpies. ps winter is not good for langebaan, at least your casting is on the up
 
Top