Has you probably seen on my previous reports I rec

fedu

Sealiner
Has you probably seen on my previous reports I recently had some nice days coastal trolling and shore casting on North Angola.

Great Cubera Snapper, Great Cob, Great Corvina, but......


I'm fed up!!!


I do not wan't to troll, I miss my popping and jigging action and cold season is still here :-(


I miss my Dorado popping, I've decided this next the season is for YFT popping and I miss jigging for Amberjack a lot.

Looked at the forecasts


2wh41lx.jpg



And it's saying "Go North and troll for Cubera, Cob and Corvina"

I know you don't fish what you wan't but what the sea allows you, but....., What the heck, I WANT JIGGING!!!!!!!!


So I decided to go South and invited my friends Julio and Gika, Julio is an usual on my boat and knew what he was coming for.


As the guys that fish with me know when I go fishing It's never about fishing but it's allway about having fun on the water and I told them we are not going fishing we are going to try have fun so please be patient and hang on.


We schedule meeting at Luanda Nautico boat clube at 5:45AM just before sunrise at 6:11AM

At 6:10 AM we were leaving Luanda Port heading South.


After 36 miles we find this guys also looking for fish


iw3udh.jpg



If water temp was a bit higher I would have stopped there and waited for the Tuna feed, but at 19ºC water temp I went on South


After 60 miles South we found some local fisherman and exchanged info, they told me they need some help in finding a rocky area for bottom fishing and showed us some of their previous catches, we were suprised to find a cod there


2vcsz89.jpg



This guys also come from 60 miles Luanda to fish here just after river Kwanza and I decided to help them out, sounded around and



found a rocky area where Gika got on a jig what we call in Portuguese a fish "espada"


2z6tcar.jpg



Told the local fisherman where they should place their boat and leaved the spot sounding for new areas.


Found another rocky area and got this beautifull very small grouper

2dtzoly.jpg



Moved on sounding other areas and got several of this "carapau vermelho"


2zjerz4.jpg



2my9gk6.jpg



Found a Moon fish and saw a lot of whales


2lnwwax.jpg



On another spot Gika got our own cod fish on a jig


5wd9j.jpg



I got this tiny guys


2mfhcee.jpg



And also this ones


2zrq9aq.jpg



We all got some "Rascassos"


fp8kuo.jpg



another beautifull small grouper


2qdmuko.jpg



And finally some proper action, I'm geting rusty this guy was killing me (my only excuse is that I'm using spinners again..)


50js0l.jpg



After a 15 minutes fight a fatish Amberjack on a pink jig


29di7hs.jpg



We had a triple strike but Julio and Gika lost their fish.


This was the spot we wanted to find, a couple more drifts and finally Julio gets some proper action


2z8p3ww.jpg




25 minutes fight and another fat Amberjack.


15q9oqf.jpg



One more drift and here I am fighting another AJ, this time I recovered my usual jigging form :)


2wftoom.jpg



Another not so big but suprisingly fat AJ


34pm61s.jpg



Feeding stopped and we call it a day arriving at Luanda just around the sunset



1zgvo8x.jpg




Another jigging fun day on the water had ended and after +120 miles trip we all arrived at Luanda port with a smile on our faces :)

 
 

ignatius

Sealiner
Great report, awsome photos.
Great fun, catching the smaller species.
Sjoe, I can only dream of those AJ.
Fedu, did you fish old marks or did you find a previously unmarked spot.
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
MAAAANNNNOOOOO Fernando!!!

... just the variety of fish you chaps found is soooooo impressive. The red carapau and the pink fish I see for the first time in Angolan waters. Cooooool!

You're the trendsetter... everybody else went North and you find the good news in the South. Your AJs are the finest this season yet!

 
 

fedu

Sealiner
I am hoping some of our fellow sealiners might help me find the english names for those fish (AD where are you? )
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
You fellows must have fished in pretty deep waters, correct? 200m workout on the jigger, ey?

1. the two red sea scropion "Rascasse" could be a "scorpaena angolensis"

2. the "bacalhao" is probably a brotea or bearded brotula "brotula barbata"

3. the red carapau; "falso carapace" is perhaps a driftfish (brown) "ariomma melanurum"; funny fish that get their red colour from the crustaceans diet they feed on

4. the wheird pinky remains a mystery... .
 

fedu

Sealiner
So the first on is a "Rascasso de Angola", Angola Rockfish

http://www.fishbase.se/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=5019
 

tremosso

Senior Member
What a sport. This fishing virus just keeps spreading around inside of me.

And a magnificent Sunday it was. The sea absolutely flat, no wind; great for Fedu's engines to give all they have, making us fly.

Jan we fished deeper waters where we got the smaller fish (Hummm!?!) but I think Fernando got a few good new spots to jig other species. Like he told me, catching the fish was just to keep us motivated as it was such a good oportunity to move around looking for rocky areas with some potential.

Well Fernando, my heart is also pumping for the dorados with poppers. Its official that we will be able to spin for them in this years league so all the practice is welcome... only a few more weeks for it.
 

tremosso

Senior Member
Oh, another honorable mention for the Shimano Stella 10K. I will not buy a different reel for the rest of my life.
 

tremosso

Senior Member
ignatius wrote:
Great report, awsome photos.
Great fun, catching the smaller species.
Sjoe, I can only dream of those AJ.
Fedu, did you fish old marks or did you find a previously unmarked spot.

Naas I'm a new guy in the Luanda boat club but I keep seeing all those guys just fishing the same spots, trying to steal eachother information and detonating whatever good fishing grounds they find.

This boat seems to be like the Enterprise.
 

nicos

Senior Member
Hi Fedu,

What an excellent report - again! The carapau vermelho looks suspiciously like Rosy Jobfish (Pristipomoides filamentosus) that we get in the Indian ocean. Maybe they are somehow related. I post a pic of a Rosy I caught in Moz a week or so ago below.

 

./n
 

Attachments

  • Jigstar2 061.JPG
    Jigstar2 061.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 255
Top