Good post.
In the wise words of "they say" .....less is more. This is coming from my own personal experience through using magged reels as well as centrifugal reels respectively. I found that with the centrifugal reels that they are smooth in casting and supply more than enough breaking power if set up correctly. This however doesnt remove the require awareness that your thumb needs some education for starting off the cast as this is the time the reels spins its fastest.For example the penn fathom 15 is a dream to cast with but when it comes to haveing a lack of stable footing it can become tricky. That being said, casting is easy peasy otherwise giving the user the freedom of taking ones thumb off the perverbial spinning spool. The mag reels I got into lately offered something diffrent. I used my penn 525 mag over the weekend reaching casting distances I have never reached before. Im not saying this is all down to the mag system but it sure gives you the convinience of setting up the mag "tension" to a level that suits your particular casting style and control ability.
I know some guys who can cast as far as anyone due to their educated thumbs and set up of their reels in conjunction. Ask the guys from the UK with all due respect... holistically we fish way harder than them and an uncontrolable reel for them is putty in our hands. I think that exact sentiment sums up reel usage. Some people can do without certain qualities in a reel as their muscle memory in terms of their casting style favours the way their reel is set up to achieve maximum distance and smoothness in casting. Be it mag or centrifugal.
Hi Armand !Wilhelm,
Is jy seker die sl30 het n sintetiese spoel? Myne maak ''pieng'' as ek hom met n skroewedraaier slaan... Ek weet die SL 20 het n grafiet spoel....
The big boys of the casting world actually adjust the tension of the cast control "in flight" I saw it on you tube so it has to be true!lol kite fisher explained it to me once, half of it went WAY over my head but I got the general gist of it...
Armand steenkamp wrote:
Hi Armand !Wilhelm,
Is jy seker die sl30 het n sintetiese spoel? Myne maak ''pieng'' as ek hom met n skroewedraaier slaan... Ek weet die SL 20 het n grafiet spoel....
Die sl50sh het wel 'n aluminium spoel met glans swart "anodizeing" en ek het al 'n klomp van hulle ge "mag".
Die sl20/30sh het altwee dieselfde matte black/grey "longcast composite spool" volgens http://www.daiwa.com en om hulle te mag, moet jy 'n aluminium disc op die end van die spoel vas epoksie om die "electrical conductivitu" te kry wat die magbrake benodig om te kan werk.
Ja daai spoele is baie hard en meeste mense dink dis metaal, maar jy sal voel dat dit nooit koud word soos metaal nie en as jy hom (weet dit klink weird), teen jou tande tik, sal jy baie gou die verskil hoor en voel tussen die 50 se allu spoel en die kleiner twee se composite !
Cheers en hoop daai 1530 loop nog mooi
Virtel jy my nou n ding! Ek wou nog altyd nie die Sl 20 oop nie want ekt gedog die sl30 se spoel is alu en die sl20 se spoel grafiet!! Meantime is die sl30 se spoel hoeka composite!
Nee daai 15/30 loop soos n muis met slippers , kry net nie genoeg kaans om hom te gebruik nie!
Groetnis
Cuban...thanks,I got my package and hour ago, I'm proceeding to the beach to go make a few casts...i'll keep you posted.
![]()
Is there any drilling involved when this mag conversion is done?
Will the reel look the same on the exterior?