Ever since the Trini A series was launched in Sout

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
Ever since the Trini A series was launched in South Africa, I really wanted one, BUT every time I casted one owned by one of my fishing buddies, I found the reel to be simply too fast for my own casting abilities.

I (and the reel's owners) mostly had to put a lot of pressure on the cast control knob, to prevent the superfast spool (without any help from a centrifugal brake), from running the sinker and bait in from behind when attempting to make a powerful cast.

If you look at the spool of the Trini A from above, you will also notice that it doesn't have a pronounced shoulder like e.g. the original non- centrifugal Grandwaves and this make controlling the spool with a educated thumb not all that easy. This was probably to gain line capacity in these compact reels. 

If you look at my original old Grandwave 40, the gold anodising is completely worn from the left shoulder of the spool due to all the "riding the thumb" that was needed to control that old reel that was rather fast and tricky before it was magged as well.

After lots of test-casting to figure out a range of magbrakes for different other popular model reels, I thought that it was the right time to also tackle the Trini A series, as I still wanted one for myself rather badly, so I bought a 16A and my buddy pulled the trigger on a 14A, even before I had the first prototype on my own reel sorted.

After we magged a couple of his other reels, he was so confident that we will be able to sort it, that he stuck his neck out by swiping his card to cash in on the last old stock 14A he could find !

Now the biggest difference between the older gold generation Trinis and the A Series, is that the A makes use of a one-piece frame and does not have a removable leftside sideplate.  This allows that compact lefside, so that you can grip the reel very securely when casting, without having large hands, but means that you have to take the reel apart completely to get to the inside of the frame and then the spool.

You even have to break down the dragstack and lift off the anti reverse gear from the driveshaft, as the last two retaining screws that attach the black inner chassis to the frame, is situated underneath this !

All that said and done, the Trini A's responded very nicely to the magbrake treatment and most owners of the bunch of 14/16/20/30A's we have done sice, reported back that they can now cast their reels with real power and distance, with the spool set to have a small amount of sideplay when the clutch lever is pulled back and without having to control the spool by thumb during the flight part of the cast, obviously you still stop the spool by thumb when the sinker/bait lands - and this with the factory grease removed from the spool bearings and then relubed with ReelX or similar.  In this way, the spool is controlled only by the magforce which supply a smooth, silent control and not by means of any mechanical bridge between spool and frame, like what would be the case with control by spool tension knob, centrifugal brakes or educated thumb.

I will tell a bit about the adjustability, once I posted a few photos.....

Cheers !
 

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
And now with a single of the most corrosion resistant permanent magnets on the plate...
 

Attachments

  • 14105455608452.jpg
    14105455608452.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 522

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
For the little small diameter Trini 12/14A, the magplate is recessed to allow maximum leeway in the tiny space ...
 

Attachments

  • 14105461214689.jpg
    14105461214689.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 505

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
tuna wrote:
This is such a nice reel as is..
How do you cast with other reels?

Tuna, see it like ABS brakes on a car - some people might not mis it - UNTILL one day the need it !

There are also advantages for the expert casters amongst us - you know how an uncomfortable stance on a rock or reef, with the wind pumping and waves rushing through, can play havoc with your timing ?

It's like a safety net/insurance policy that covers your back and allow you the confidence to really load that rod in practical fishing conditions without getting bitten on a regular basis by the dreaded overrun.

Most of the guys who had it done, had the oppertunity to cast a mates' reel that was already done and the news travelled mostly word of mouth.

Another way to look at it, although it might be a over simplyfication, is to look at Danny Moeskops really getting a reel spinning and making use of magbrakes to control the extreme acceleration he achieves.

Back to basics - most guys (all so far) report that they get extra distance and zero or very close to it, overrun mishaps.

I contribute this to a reel (when set up correctly), running in perfect harmony with the pace of the sinker/bait and this with the spool nice and free from the shaft pressure of the cast control cap, without your thumb having to do damage control.

You really have to cast a properly set up magged reel to experience that freedom of really launching it and then to be able to totally keep your thum away from the spool through flight till the sinker/bait lands !

Cheers !  
 

BigBen

Sealiner
Brilliant and neat..Nou so moet dit lyk.

Is that a 5x3mm magnet or 5x2mm...

Fantastic craftmanship CC...

Do you craft your own plate if so where can I source some? If it's a trade secret I completely understand.(*wink wink* you can drop me a PM 2)

((goodp_
 

EXTREMIST

Sealiner
I will be booking my Trini30A in at the next club meeting!!!!

I am super impressed with this conversion on my Saltist BG40. I cast ALOT further because now I have the confidence to really push the cast without worrying about overruns.. especially when fishing off the bricks...
 

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
Sorry Tuna, I didn't answer your last question - I grew up fishing Penn Jigmaster 500's etc in the early seventies after graduating from the Penn49 without any problems in casting

When we then started doing night fishing, I Switched to ABU Ambassadeurs in 1976(if not mistaken) as the Jigmaster was a handful in the dark.

The Abu reels were great casters and great for fishing on the sandbanks, but were too slow for my liking over rough terrrain and I got stuck on the bottom, too often at the beginning of a retrieve.

The first SL50SH Daiwas then came out and I bought one of those and like the Abus they had centrifugal brakes to help - later when they were launched, I switched to the Grandwave 40 as I hoped that they would help with even more distance due to the speedshaft - the first generation came without centrifugal cast control, but it casted well as long as you thumbed it.

So far no casting problems and I then also started using the more compact reels like SL30/20 and Torium 14 (all with centrifugal brakes) - then about two years ago, I bought a 1530 and believe it or not, I had my first reel that I could simply not cast for the life of it !

My 1st mistake was to think that it would cast the light 3 and 4 oz sinkers like the much lighter spooled sl30sh and that didn't work, then I had Old Salt undercut and polish the spoolshaft and we did a LH bush to bearing conversion - he did a great job and that made the reel spin like a Fathom, but still I felt that the spool was too heavy for the light sinkers to overcome the startup inertia and then keep un running smoothly.

I eventually moved the reel to my custom PG 350/3/2-piece and swithed to 5 and 6oz lead depending on the weight of the bait used - that worked a lot bettter, but I simply couldn't cast the rod flatout without regular mishaps - that is when I set about figuring how I could make and fit a magbrake to let it run like fast but safe like all my other reels - the rest is history.

It has since progressed way past the point of solving casting problems - some very highly rated anglers have asked me to build magbrakes for their reels, so that they can max out on distance, without the unwanted blow ups.

Cheers and I wish easy casting reels for us all !

 
 

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
BigBen wrote:
Brilliant and neat..Nou so moet dit lyk.

Is that a 5x3mm magnet or 5x2mm...

Fantastic craftmanship CC...

Do you craft your own plate if so where can I source some? If it's a trade secret I completely understand.(*wink wink* you can drop me a PM 2)

((goodp_
BigBen you have a PM on the way boet.
 

Ray11

Sealiner
 

Good post.

In the wise words of "they say" .....less is more. This is coming from my own personal experience through using magged reels as well as centrifugal reels respectively. I found that with the centrifugal reels that they are smooth in casting and supply more than enough breaking power if set up correctly. This however doesnt remove the require awareness that your thumb needs some education for starting off the cast as this is the time the reels spins its fastest.For example the penn fathom 15 is a dream to cast with but when it comes to haveing a lack of stable footing it can become tricky. That being said, casting is easy peasy otherwise giving the user the freedom of taking ones thumb off the perverbial spinning spool. The mag reels I got into lately offered something diffrent. I used my penn 525 mag over the weekend reaching casting distances I have never reached before. Im not saying this is all down to the mag system but it sure gives you the convinience of setting up the mag "tension" to a level that suits your particular casting style and control ability.

I know some guys who can cast as far as anyone due to their educated thumbs and set up of their reels in conjunction. Ask the guys from the UK with all due respect:)... holistically we fish way harder than them and an uncontrolable reel for them is putty in our hands. I think that exact sentiment sums up reel usage. Some people can do without certain qualities in a reel as their muscle memory in terms of their casting style favours the way their reel is set up to achieve maximum distance and smoothness in casting. Be it mag or centrifugal.

 
 

Cuban Cigar

Sealiner
Mango wrote:
Cuban do you think you can mag a Tyrenos
Hi Mango !
With the shark hunters gearing up, I have done a bunch of Torium 50, Trini gold 40/50 models and have some guys starting to ask about the Tyrnos.

I haven't had a close look at one yet, but I will be surprised if it isn't possible.

As long as the reel have enough clearance between spool and frame, I will probably find a suitable position, but I have to have such a reel to take measurements and then to handcut and test the prototype before going to production.

By the way, every single current magbrake model started out that way !

Cheers !
 
Top