Catfish info

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Here is some serious views after last night and only one guy replied. Please I need all your insets if we are going to let this work. Any info would help. Something in the line of 'I found that rigging the day old through the spine that the bait slips down to the rounding of the hook and that my hooks isn't that great with this method'. Or 'it doesn't work for me, never had any success with it'. We can then try to figure out why?

Ps: the format I'm looking at as the end product must be something in the line of:
Bait: Day old chicks
Best time of year to use: Spring (bird breading season) and right through the year.
Best conditions and places to use: warm weather and/or shotly after storms and associated flooding, close to reeds, close to overhanging bird nests, near or under bridges and close to water birds rendezvous.
Rig name: The Spine buster
Method: hook through spine out the back (this is where the description on how to make the rig etc etc comes with the media like photos, illustrations and vide)
Gear: general hook sizes and line strengths, hook link lengths etc etc
Pro's: very easy to rig. Baits is freely available etc
Con's: tends to slip down the hook to the rounding of the hook making the hookup percentage drop.
Comments: Puncture the stomach to release ekstra juices if the tempo picks up to keep the Cats interested in your baiting area.

Something in this line???

Som

Skuimkop

Sealiner
DocPhil wrote:
How to properly rig a fish head anyone?

We will get there and there is good info regarding fish heads. I first started off with the day olds because it hasn't got as many different rigs, methods as fish heads. First wanted everybody's blood flowing before moving over to the more complicated baits so to speak. It is going to take quite a while to go through all of the fish head rigs but just keep your eye on this post.

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Bought some day olds from Henkor (thanx Ayoba) yesterday so I'll see if I have time this weekend to demonstrate some of the rigs I mentioned above. Any special attention/detail you guys want me to give to a specific rig regarding day olds?

Attachments

• 20141028_174329_Melt Marais St.jpg
    20141028_174329_Melt Marais St.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 367

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Bought some day olds from Henkor (thanx Ayoba) yesterday so I'll see if I have time this weekend to demonstrate some of the rigs I mentioned above. Any special attention/detail you guys want me to give to a specific rig regarding day olds?

Stock

With regards the day-olds - I put a cable tie through the eyes. Circle hook goes under the cable tie. I slice the belly open. Ive also used three chicks at the same time using this method - cable through each ones eyes and hook cable tied to the three ties.
7/0 hook
cast near the bank under trees.
40kg x 25m leader.

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Stock wrote:
With regards the day-olds - I put a cable tie through the eyes. Circle hook goes under the cable tie. I slice the belly open. Ive also used three chicks at the same time using this method - cable through each ones eyes and hook cable tied to the three ties.
7/0 hook
40kg x 25m leader.

Thanx for your input. I like this rig. Simple, easy to make and it is not expensive. You also make use of a type of hair rig whereby the hook is totally exposed but to top it off you can modify it into a chicken bomb rig.

Only one problem I might see with it (chicken bomb). But first tell me when you use the bomb don't you get a lot off 'false' runs? What size Cats do you normally catch with the bomb? 3 kilo class? Maybe even a couple of foul hooks?

Excuse all the questions I'll explain later.

Krugel

Skuimkop wrote:
Stock wrote:
7/0 hook
40kg x 25m leader.

Thanx for your input. I like this rig. Simple, easy to make and it is not expensive. You also make use of a type of hair rig whereby the hook is totally exposed but to top it off you can modify it into a chicken bomb rig.

Only one problem I might see with it (chicken bomb). But first tell me when you use the bomb don't you get a lot off 'false' runs? What size Cats do you normally catch with the bomb? 3 kilo class? Maybe even a couple of foul hooks?

Excuse all the questions I'll explain later.
Won't it be difficult to cast(neck breaking off?)

Ant86

Sealiner
This is how I would rig a fish head, will take one of the carp head after this weekend

Attachments

• circle-hook-4.jpg
    circle-hook-4.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 325

Ant86

Sealiner
Im off to the Vaal this weekend,hopefully get in a decent fishing session and post more rigs on Monday

Fire away with questions if you have any

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Antjar wrote:
here was my rig that I posted for Day olds

http://sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=94043&forum_id=64

Now were talking. Was going to ask you and Mark if I can use your info and pics with this post. Thanx Ants.