Catfish info

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Was also at the vaal this past weekend and struggled to get hold of carp which resulted in no barbel bait out for Friday night. Caught a 4.8kg carp on Saturday late morning. Put the head out and 15min later into a descent fish that swam through all out other lines and broke me off at the side...Never even saw the damn thing!
After that I used 2x BIG carp fillets cable tied together with the skin on the outside and managed a good one. Unfortunately it was not weighed.
My fish finder also didn't work and I was unable to find deep holes. My 0.80mm leader was cut off a couple of times :? and on what I do not know...

Also, unfortunately I was unable to take photos of the baits as it was pissisting it down! The times it wasn't I just had to be quick and get the bait in the water.
All the baits were dropped with an inflatable.

Attachments

• Catfish 1A.jpg
    Catfish 1A.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 304

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Stock wrote:
How about a pic of the carp fillet baits.
If you don't have a pic how big were they?
Unfortunately not...but if the carp head is off and you also got the guts out you could cut through all the bones all along the spine and out through the top of the back.

Attachments

• Carp Fillet 1.jpg
    Carp Fillet 1.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 291

Fishpaste

Sealiner
And then finally join to equal parts of either side together with the hooks and line running through the middle. I had mine in approx. 10cm strips and with the skin on the outside. Also have to mention that I descaled the carp. In the cavity between the 2 fillets you could add some of the intestines before you cable tie it close. This would serve as extra scent...

Attachments

• Carp Fillet 3.jpg
    Carp Fillet 3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 289

Skuimkop

Sealiner
F1%hpa%te wrote:
This was my mates PB carp of 4.8kg that got used as bait.

Hahaha cutting up your buddy's pb is hilarious. Nice buddy you are, hahaha.

Now I know some of the Carp Specimen anglers will frown upon cutting up Carps this size but there has to be remembered that we are targeting bigger Cats and as everyone knows Cats have larger mouths than Carp of the same size.

Skuimkop

Sealiner
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Stock wrote:
Unfortunately not...but if the carp head is off and you also got the guts out you could cut through all the bones all along the spine and out through the top of the back.

Really cool illustration, can I please use it in our super post later one?

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Skuimkop wrote:
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Stock wrote:

I felt quite embarrassed uploading them ugly paint attempts but hey please knock yourself out. :) On my next session I will do my best to get some descent pictures!

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Skuimkop wrote:
F1%hpa%te wrote:
This was my mates PB carp of 4.8kg that got used as bait.

Hahaha cutting up your buddy's pb is hilarious. Nice buddy you are, hahaha.

Now I know some of the Carp Specimen anglers will frown upon cutting up Carps this size but there has to be remembered that we are targeting bigger Cats and as everyone knows Cats have larger mouths than Carp of the same size.
Funny thing is I am also a specimen angler but one has to remember that the vaal system has no shortage of carp + they are also an alien species. I am 100% dedicated in catch and release but there is nothing wrong with using a fish. 1/2 that carp was donated to the worker on the farm along with n plastic box full of different sized hooks and all my left over feed, floaties and mielies. You should have seen the smile on the mans face. Make it so worth if you can see real gratitude.
PS. That 1/2 a carp was filleted to perfection and not a single bone I can guarantee! ;)

D5

So we are almost done with chicks and fillet - or we not ?

Head by far is best and Muddy one for sure . It has to be something special with Muddy blood or intestines that attracts barbel so quickly

In many occasions with my fishing buddies, the one who has muddy head vs one that has carp head , is the winner .  Muddy head will bring much quicker bite and especially in winter on colder water.
We were pulling barbel's in Vaal river on 12C water temperature on muddy head.

But these days we don't catch so many muddies like 15 years ago - maybe I am mistaken but you guys can comment on your own experience . I also do feel sorry that we have to kill them all the time to catch barbel.

That is why I am keen on day old chicks experiment even if that makes me to puke or even vomit during the mincing process.

Filets are really just last resource when you don't have nothing else to put on.
I even think that blue soap will give better results. Fillets has no smell and depend on barble swimming past them to get bite.

Fishpaste

Sealiner
I see so many people complaining about the muddies being a nuisance but for some reason they always elude me... I almost want to say that we should not use them and stick to carp and grass carp since they are everywhere and not native...

Skuimkop

Sealiner
D5 wrote:

Head by far is best and Muddy one for sure . It has to be something special with Muddy blood or intestines that attracts barbel so quickly

In many occasions with my fishing buddies, the one who has muddy head vs one that has carp head , is the winner .  Muddy head will bring much quicker bite and especially in winter on colder water.

But these days we don't catch so many muddies like 15 years ago - maybe I am mistaken but you guys can comment on your own experience . I also do feel sorry that we have to kill them all the time to catch barbel.

That is why I am keen on day old chicks experiment even if that makes me to puke or even vomit during the mincing process.

Filets are really just last resource when you don't have nothing else to put on.
I even think that blue soap will give better results. Fillets has no smell and depend on barble swimming past them to get bite.

The reason why Muddy heads is a better bait than Carp head is because it contains more oils in the head and gills so it gives off a stronger sent trail for longer. Problem is if you target the real monster Cats you are not going to a Muddy head of 2 plus kilo's. That is why we use the Carp heads. But yes Muddies is a better bait.

Skuimkop

Sealiner
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Skuimkop wrote:
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Stock wrote:

I felt quite embarrassed uploading them ugly paint attempts but hey please knock yourself out. :) On my next session I will do my best to get some descent pictures!

Point is it clearly demonstrates how to fillet a fish.

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Skuimkop wrote:
D5 wrote:

The reason why Muddy heads is a better bait than Carp head is because it contains more oils in the head and gills so it gives off a stronger sent trail for longer. Problem is if you target the real monster Cats you are not going to a Muddy head of 2 plus kilo's. That is why we use the Carp heads. But yes Muddies is a better bait.
Damit guys do I have to give all my secrets away...?
Take you carp head and add generous amount of cod liver oil in the gills and flesh. Also, same can be done with the fillets. Remember it is an oil so it will dissipate in the water but it will also stick to the bait for a long period afterwards. ;)

Cod liver oil has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids along with vitamin A and D. It was traditionally manufacture by filling wooden barrels with fresh cod livers and seawater and allowing the mixture to ferment for up to a year. Today cod liver oil is made by cooking the whole cod body tissue of fatty fish during the manufacturing of fish meal.

Skuimkop

Sealiner
F1%hpa%te wrote:
Skuimkop wrote:
D5 wrote:

Damit guys do I have to give all my secrets away...?
Take you carp head and add generous amount of cod liver oil in the gills and flesh. Also, same can be done with the fillets. Remember it is an oil so it will dissipate in the water but it will also stick to the bait for a long period afterwards. ;)

Cod liver oil has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids along with vitamin A and D. It was traditionally manufacture by filling wooden barrels with fresh cod livers and seawater and allowing the mixture to ferment for up to a year. Today cod liver oil is made by cooking the whole cod body tissue of fatty fish during the manufacturing of fish meal.

To upgrade you can use a small pill container filled with those green foam stuff the florist use to keep the flowers in place. Drill two small holes in the top and bottom of the container. You then soak that green foam with codliver, close the lid and insert the container in the mouth of the fish head. Sow the lips shut to keep the container in the mouth and whalla you have a sent trail that will last so much longer.

Attachments

• 20141105_134524_Melt Marais St.jpg
    20141105_134524_Melt Marais St.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 252

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Thanks Skuim, alternatively you could also use a tampon...:? It would not be funny if the Mrs catches you nicking her stuff nor would it be funny if she catches you with a box in your tackle bag... ;) Harde pakslae pappa!

Stock

Would a barbel head bait be a good option? I'm thinking of a head of a +-3kg barbel with a 10/0 circle through its lips.

Fishpaste

Sealiner
Stock wrote:
Would a barbel head bait be a good option? I'm thinking of a head of a +-3kg barbel with a 10/0 circle through its lips.
Personally I would rather use barbel fillet although I am sure a cat would pick it up...

Skuimkop

Sealiner
Stock wrote:

I don't think so. There is not much sent in the Cats head in my opion (see pic), but the fillets is a total different story. Muscle have a lot of blood vessels and because the Cats is almost totally muscle it makes for an excellent fillet bait.

Attachments

• Clariaslungs.jpg
    Clariaslungs.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 250