As some of you may already know, I'm building a fi

tauruck

Sealiner
jonno_jonno_999 wrote:
Maybe I'm a bit thick but (a) does the masking tape go on top or inside and (b) y is it necessary?
Masking tape goes on top to prevent the bolt head and washer bonding to the epoxy that might ooze through the holes and also leaves the surface clean for fitting the final part. I suppose once you've done this a few times you may not find it neccessary. One important fact I may have missed is that the bolts should have some PVA release agent on the threads if you intend  leaving them in overnight. jonno this whole thing sounds like a mission but it's actually quite simple. The camera I normally use is not here but if you want I'll post step by step pics as soon as I get it back if you want.
 

jonno_jonno_999

New member
Thanks. I am not planning on doing any drilling but if I do I know who to shout for. 1 other thing I thought of , and this is a question to all the guys with skis; Do any of u have clips etc for securing your paddle? It is probably my single biggest hassle when I am out there and trying to bait up or tackle up; keeps sliding off or getting in the way. I thought of installing a couple of spring clips ( if that is what they are called), but I rekon I could get quite badly cut on them in a spill. Any ideas?

 
 

neilg

Sealiner
In afrikaans we call it "haasrek"

if secured to the ski and forming a small look they can be used (with a hook type of device) to hold a paddle in place and out of the way.
 
jonno_jonno_999 wrote:
Thanks. I am not planning on doing any drilling but if I do I know who to shout for. 1 other thing I thought of , and this is a question to all the guys with skis; Do any of u have clips etc for securing your paddle? It is probably my single biggest hassle when I am out there and trying to bait up or tackle up; keeps sliding off or getting in the way. I thought of installing a couple of spring clips ( if that is what they are called), but I rekon I could get quite badly cut on them in a spill. Any ideas?

 
I presume you already do have a paddle leash.  If not ... get one.  Try to get a long one that coils. - That way you do not have excess leash in your way when fighting fish.  
Seeing as though you are on a stealth, the paddle can just be pushed under the handle and some of the elastics spun across the bow of the deck.  
 

jonno_jonno_999

New member
Thanks TFM, I do have a leash and I use it, normally i fasten it round my ankle, and I do push the paddle under the bungy cords but it lies over the hatch or on my legs and gets in the way. Was thinking along the lines of being able to fasten the paddle somewhere on the side of the ski. But I guess if it was practical the guys would be doing it already.
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
jonno_jonno_999 wrote:
Thanks TFM, I do have a leash and I use it, normally i fasten it round my ankle, and I do push the paddle under the bungy cords but it lies over the hatch or on my legs and gets in the way. Was thinking along the lines of being able to fasten the paddle somewhere on the side of the ski. But I guess if it was practical the guys would be doing it already.
Easy paddle keeper, but first test where to put it. You don't want to hit your knuckles against it.
 

Attachments

  • 100_0035 (Medium).jpg
    100_0035 (Medium).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 90
Looking at the pic... (when in use) it is a good neat stowaway, but
1. I think that it would make fishing on which ever side the paddle is stored on a tad difficult as you would have to haul your catch over the paddle. As mentioned before anything in the way could result in Line snags and snaps and result in your 20kg fish swiming off into the deep without you even getting a photo.
2. The idea of putting some holes, nuts and bolts, rivets or self tappers into the hull of my ski is not going to be easy to swallow, when i can store the paddle on the upper deck.
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
Looking at the pic... (when in use) it is a good neat stowaway, but
1. I think that it would make fishing on which ever side the paddle is stored on a tad difficult as you would have to haul your catch over the paddle. As mentioned before anything in the way could result in Line snags and snaps and result in your 20kg fish swiming off into the deep without you even getting a photo.
2. The idea of putting some holes, nuts and bolts, rivets or self tappers into the hull of my ski is not going to be easy to swallow, when i can store the paddle on the upper deck.
I don't think it stands out that much further. It's more out of the way than I have it now.

My only problem is I am a bit paranoid of drilling into the hull like you said.

Where in Cape Town are you going to catch a 20 kg fish ?
 

blakes

New member
I agree with Calder that the deck setup on Stealths work like a charm and would not want my paddle sticking out on the side of the ski. Besides being a risk when retrieving a fish it would also make it more difficult to hang your legs over the side.
 

jared

New member
Tauruck

Remember to raise the hatch opening height, as you dont want the same problem that has just happened with the new and improved I think eric's ski that is to low and now have a issues with water coming in the hatch

 
 
Top