Ark canoes

Hendre

Senior Member
Hi Splash

I have an Ark and enjoy it very much. It is a very stable platform to fish from and gives you lot of space for storing all equipment. It's also very robust and I use it for fishing, crayfishing, playing in the waves as well as a bit of white water rafting. A plus point for me is that it folds up and fits into your boot.

There are a few negatives, which you will have to take into account before purchasing. To me personally the positives outweigh the negatives by far:

The Ark is not as fast as a normal fishing kayak and you will have to put in some effort if there is wind blowing.

The floor of the Ark is always wet, so you will have to store everything you take with in a cooler box or similar. There is tiedowns provided for this purpose in the Ark.

As the Ark are made for two people, my experience is that it is easier if two people are rowing than one, although I usually paddle alone.

All in all- you must decide what you would like to do from the Ark. If you are only going to use it as a fishing platform, a ski would be more advisable, but if you are looking for more of an "allrounder", the Ark is the way to go.

Hope this helps!:kaykak

PS: Will 101 has done a lot more fishing from his Ark than I have done, so if you want more specifics on that side send him a pm.
 

Splasher

Sealiner
I had been looking at the fishing ski`s for quite some time and for me they are too heavy for what I want to use it for and besides you have to twist your buddies arms to buy one too.

We go fishing in Transkei once or twice a year and all I need most times is to get to the otherside or just drift with the current to my favourite spots.  And the big plus is there is room for a buddy!

I just bought an ark canoe today and I can see its going to suit me just fine.
 

surfaMIKE

Senior Member
Arent you guys scared of hooks going into your pontoons? Rubber ducks and hooks dont go well together imho. But then again, I've only fished off those cheap things you get from pick n pay
 

will101

Senior Member
you obviously have to be careful but if you know the ark products, you will also know that they are made from the same materials any other "proper" duck is made of - that means they are TOUGH. I did find on my seal that the floor is very fragile and you need to be very careful dragging the boat over anything with that boat - in fact don't drag the boat over anything at all. learnt the hard way. I def think they can look at using thicker material for the bottoms on those boats.
the bottoms of the crocs are bullet cus they have to deal with scraping over rocks and sticks etc.
 

deisel

Sealiner
i got the fduc put a 15hp on flew like the wind, but the floor is unstable and the botton like you say is fragile they should put a rubber sheeth or a strip in the middle the problem is it has no keel like the seal so its even more fragile
 

will101

Senior Member
deisel what you could do, is make your own rigid floor for the fduc out of marine ply. Similar to the seal's floor.

I found also on the seal that on high speed the whole boat tends to wanna buck going over the waves - even with the floorboards. you could also increase the pontoon pressure a bit I suppose.

my croc has a section of rigid floor that enables me to stand upright in the boat and cast. works fine if the water's not too rough.
 

deisel

Sealiner
i think im gonna make a rigid floor cause im really not happy with the damn thing, the bucaneer 300 series id the same price but takes a much bigger engine and has a rigid floor
 
Was at Somerset Sport in S-West yesterday. They have a small rubber duck brought out by Jarvis Walker (Same group as Penn if i am not mistaken) Anyway, small duck i recon about 2.5 - 3m with an aluminium Floor and trasam for a small motor. Going for R8K.
 

Southpaw

New member
I have also been looking for a inflatable to do some bass fishing from and found this site http://www.wolfinflatables.co.za/index.html . I havent enquired about prices yet but they look rather good.

Heard that the guy that designed the ark fishduc has started his own company, dont know if its true or not.
 
Top