Wing blade paddle

Bosbok

Member
My 2c - a wingblade (carbon) is lighter and more efficient than a flat blade - for that reason I prefer a wingblade vs. a flatblade.  After a long session on the water you will learn to appreciate a wingblade.  Lots of guys will tell you that a flatblade is fine for kayak fishing - until they try a wingblade.  Second story is that you need to change you paddling stroke with a wingblade - this again is not a serious issue.

Not all wingblades are equal - there are a number of shapes and sizes.  Do not select one that is meant for K1 competition rowing - too big.  What is true is that you need to take better care of your wing blade, like a carbon rod it is more prone to breakage and of course also more expensive. 

Maybe you need to try before you buy…
 

fannie

Banned
Hey CS,

Find out who's who in the zoo there by the Zululand yachtclub. We were recived very well there before. I saw a lot of paddle ski's there, I'm sure you could come right if you find out from them who the local paddle ski guys are.

I know im not very popular with most of you
Forget this crap mate. If we were all the same, do you know how common we would be ? Just be yourself and never stop doing the right thing. I wish more shared some of your views.
 

fannie

Banned
A picture of a little chap I took.  You should have seen him row when he noticed I was taking pictures, he almost got on the plane.  Gave him the thumbs up when he beached, and you never saw a happier kid.
 

Attachments

  • Row.jpg
    Row.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 279

Fredster

Senior Member
Hi if you do a search on this forum its been discussed in more detail already. correct paddling technique is underestimated and when applied to even a conventional flat blade the difference in your speed and effort is immediately apparent. regards F
 

Cswhitehead

New member
Yes i have read the previous forum on this and i just wanted to know from the people who bought a wing blade if it was worth it. . . Thanks F.
 

BulkCarrier

Sealiner
I love my wingblade.

Never paddled with a normal blade till once on a demo day and I am sure I lost about 30 % of my power that I couldn't get into the water.

Very easy and forgiving to paddle with a wing. This close from a newbie whose first paddle was a blade.
 

hethom

New member
Which wing blade would you consider the best shape and size? How do you go about choosing the right paddle? 
 

WWFisherman

Senior Member
I couldn't imagine not using a wing-blade.

A lot of guys will argue that a flat-blade paddle does the job, which is true, but even though your work boots also do the job of protecting your feet if you go for a 5km run wouldn't you rather have a pair of running shoes on?

The most important choice for me when choosing a blade is the volume of the paddle. You can get good acceleration and power out of a big paddle but you're going to feel it in your shoulders pretty quickly, unless you're a really big, fit guy. My personal favourite is the Lettman 1 paddle. It's a small volume blade but I prefer to paddle with a higher cadence than with slower, harder strokes. I find it creates a lot less strain on the back and shoulders.

Other than that, most medium volume blades make a solid compromise. I've got a medium volume glass/kevlar composite, which I find to be quite hard wearing but obviously not as rigid as a carbon blade (the more rigid the blade, the more efficient the stroke, you're not wasting energy from the blade bending in the water, which is what happens with the plastic paddles that a lot of guys try to sell you).

Another consideration is solid or split shaft. If you've got a small car like a Polo or such, a split-shaft makes your life a lot easier, although you'll pay an extra R250 bucks. Well worth it, though, as it means I can just leave my paddle in the ski hatch.
 

hethom

New member
Thanks for the info!!!
(now to get this motivated - the bank manager (wife) is a tuff one, once it's about my ski)

vvidevb I'm sure this will save us in medical bills in the long run - no more back payne :)
 
Bosbok wrote:
My 2c - a wingblade (carbon) is lighter and more efficient than a flat blade.....

Not all wingblades are equal - there are a number of shapes and sizes.

Maybe you need to try before you buy…
Howzit..

Not to nit pick, but not all wingblades are Carbon.  You get some very good wings made from normal fibreglass and other composites. 

With regards to shape, there are loads to choose from.  Some paddles go for a larger face and less lip and other designs go for more lip and less face.  Its a fine balance that you has the paddler must decide on.

I have however found that a wing paddle "holds on" to the water a lot better than a flat blade.  With the flat blade, the water tend to push over the face of the paddle, almost wanting to make the paddle spin in your hand in order to give the water the path of least resistance.   With the wing blade, the lip holds on to the water as you stroke thereby increasing the performance/forward motion. 

I used to paddle with a lettman II paddle. After an early morning in transit (120km/h) paddle delivery to the pavement, I had to get a new one. I decided to go with an orca paddle.  the face is slightly bigger than the Lettman and for me it was a exchange worthy of loosing my no claims bonus over. Check them out at http://www.paddlers.co.za/pages/paddles.html

Thats my 2c
 

Steady

Member
Get a wing. The flat blades went out about 25 years ago. Reason they were sold to fisherman paddling ski's is that they were /are cheaper to produce and hence cheap to buy. No other reason. The thought process is that fisherman paddled out to the back line and fished so no need for speed or efficient paddle strokes. That was always an assumption. Paddling a ski requires speed and efficiency as ski fisherman use lures, hence the need for speed and travel long distances hence the need for an efficient stroke. Carbon does have it's pitfalls but the advantage of light, stiff and hence energy saved outweigh the negatives of cost. You will find that the edges chip or wear and a light sanding with 220 water paper and a sanding block will take care of that. Push the boat out and get a 40% carbon shaft with a length lock so that you can split the paddle which makes for easy storage and transport and will also result in less dings and scrapes on the blades. Get a blade shape used for river racing by paddlers or offshore racing by surfski paddlers which means to say a smaller blade shape. Local is cheaper, try Gara Paddles in Durban, Set Paddles in Jo'Burg, Fenn in East London, Orca in Cape Town or Stealth.

Personally I use an Epic, light and expensive but that's what I raced with so I like it, it's also paid for and on the shelf. I also use a Set Endorphin blade which I raced wildwater and rivers with. Locally produced in Jo'Burg and very strong. If I were to buy now I would go with a Set or Gara. Gara is a Durban based business with numerous World Championship gold medal winners including Hank Mcgregor double world champion 2014. Nuf said

http://www.gara.co.za/
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
I must have paddled my 'old school' fiberglass for at least 10 years before I bought my first blade and all I can say the difference is certainly measurable...

Besides what has already been stated, the greatest improvement for me was effort versus forward motion. I was able to get going quicker and maintain overall speed for longer. I also found that with my latest 'split type' I was able to accurately set the angle at which the blade entered the water. It mean't less wear and tear on my wrists and allowed for a lighter grip.

What will also improve is your paddling style, instead of having your elbows elevated and forcing your shoulders to do all the work, with a blade, you can tuck your elbows in, lower your stroke and allow your 'lats' and core to do all the work.

Just take note of the size of the asymmetrical dihedral 'cup', if it's too big then you are going to be punished. Just because you can 'grab' more water does not mean you should.

:kaykak
 

zulu-X-treme

Sealiner
Here's a link to a relatively decent article including an informative video, which should help...

http://kayakspecialists.com.au/kayak-paddles
 

Attachments

  • P4130076 (1).jpg
    P4130076 (1).jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 92
Top