When you decide to keep a fish...

yaqdoq

New member
iki spike ! 1 inch behind and above eye to brain kill . The dead fish is then gutted before being put on ice .
:::S
 
 

kobrob

New member
I believe all fish should be bled before gutting and filleting so when i keep a fish, I cut it thru the gill's and down to make it blead while holding it over the side. It bleeds out quickly and I then place it in my bag that I have in the hatch. It dies very quickly and tastes all the better for having been bled. We catch lots of cape snoek down here at cape point and I do the same except that I also break the neck of the snoek as I am holding it over the side. Our snoek tend to go pap if they are not bled properly and the neck is not broken!:fbash:kaykak
 

Danie Burger

Senior Member
I don't kill my fish, I just put them in the hatch and let them die from suffocation.

Wow sounds cruel if you put it like this, but that is how I was taught and I have been practising this for well over 20 years.
 

ReeZ

Member
Knowing my luck I would most probably end up dropping the fish whilst trying to cut it to bleed, so I just pop it straight into the hatch. Although it sounds like a good habit to bleed your fish... If only I can get over the fear of the fish slipping away!
 

Dave B

Member
Danie Burger wrote:
I don't kill my fish, I just put them in the hatch and let them die from suffocation.

Wow sounds cruel if you put it like this, but that is how I was taught and I have been practising this for well over 20 years.

+1
 

kobrob

New member
I have touch wood, never lost a fish over the side while bleeding it. I put my hand around the head with my fingers thru the gills and hold the fish across my lap. That way, the fish can wriggle but has little chance of slipping out. I started doing this when catching cape snoek. As we all know, it is essential to break a snoek's neck. I went one step better and decided to 'slag' the neck and break the neck and bleed the fish before putting it in my hatch because of the bloody mess they make and trying to get all the blood out was a huge mission particularly if the blood had dried. I put my fish into a big bag in the hatch. This also helps to minimise the mess!:kaykak
 
kobrob wrote:
I have touch wood, never lost a fish over the side while bleeding it.

Just be a bit cautious when doing this... those damn seals at Buffels feel nothing to come up from nowhere and grab a snoek or two.

About 2 years ago I was fishing buffels with the snoek line. Pulled the bugger in and as i was about to lift it out the water to throw under my arm, the seal launched itself out the water and grabbed hold of the snoek's tail, missing the kayak by mm's. I have also seen commercials guys cleaning snoek over the side and one or 2 fish being snatched.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
ThefishinMagician wrote:
kobrob wrote:
I have touch wood, never lost a fish over the side while bleeding it.

Just be a bit cautious when doing this... those damn seals at Buffels feel nothing to come up from nowhere and grab a snoek or two.

About 2 years ago I was fishing buffels with the snoek line. Pulled the bugger in and as i was about to lift it out the water to throw under my arm, the seal launched itself out the water and grabbed hold of the snoek's tail, missing the kayak by mm's. I have also seen commercials guys cleaning snoek over the side and one or 2 fish being snatched.
recently heard a story of a guy being taken overboard by a small white whilst cleaning snoek. Lost both his hands!

If I catch something for the pot (rarely nowadays :fbash) I pull the heart out (stick finger through membrane behind gills) and put it tail in the air and this will drain most of the blood
 

FishExcutnr

Sealiner
once or twice havnt been able to find the priest in a rush and punched a few tail to death, soft spot not so soft on the knuckles :doh

priest or spike. make it clean, make it fast if you gonna kill a fish, don't let the fish suffocate and flap around and bruise . thats dof and prolongs suffering. Hoping if one day up there i have to pay for my fish killing sins it will be smooth and fast too!stpime2
 

kobrob

New member
Yep make the kill fast. We all do what works for us and sure there may be the odd seal or two, but heck, I dont mind sharing with the seals or a bronzie. White's dont usually target snoek. They are at the top of the food chain and being apex predators, generally go for seals and smaller sharks etc. Then again, if there is a white around, I will be happy to throw a snoek at it and do nothing to excite it. On my one trip to buffels I lost 3 or 4 snoek to the seals but still got my quota! Can't complain about that or the seals.It's beautiful out on the sea and part of the beauty, are the whales, sharks, seals, bird life etc etc. :kaykak
 

Monsoonwave

New member
kobrob wrote:
Yep make the kill fast. We all do what works for us and sure there may be the odd seal or two, but heck, I dont mind sharing with the seals or a bronzie. White's dont usually target snoek. They are at the top of the food chain and being apex predators, generally go for seals and smaller sharks etc. Then again, if there is a white around, I will be happy to throw a snoek at it and do nothing to excite it. On my one trip to buffels I lost 3 or 4 snoek to the seals but still got my quota! Can't complain about that or the seals.It's beautiful out on the sea and part of the beauty, are the whales, sharks, seals, bird life etc etc. :kaykak
((goodp_
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
kobrob wrote:
Yep make the kill fast. We all do what works for us and sure there may be the odd seal or two, but heck, I dont mind sharing with the seals or a bronzie. White's dont usually target snoek. They are at the top of the food chain and being apex predators, generally go for seals and smaller sharks etc. Then again, if there is a white around, I will be happy to throw a snoek at it and do nothing to excite it. On my one trip to buffels I lost 3 or 4 snoek to the seals but still got my quota! Can't complain about that or the seals.It's beautiful out on the sea and part of the beauty, are the whales, sharks, seals, bird life etc etc. :kaykak
immature whites feed predominantly on fish:fswim
 

StuckOnDaRocks

Senior Member
I've heard that if you spray alcohol into the fishes gills it will kill the fish instantly. So basically you pour a little gin / vodka / mampoor into a spray bottle and then when you get the fish on board give it a quick squirt in the gills and boom you have one stone dead fish.

Haven't tried it before.

As for bleeding fish - I've decided that in future I will be bleeding the fish that I catch...not out of having mercy and to speed up death but because I think it will taste better and I believe it tastes better after it has been frozen if all the blood has been removed.
 

jmgravenor

Sealiner
Take your finger/knife and cut the thin cord the connects the head to the body in between at the bottom of the fish, in between the two gills.
When cut, put your 2 fingers inside the gills part and turn the neck back to break the neck.

Very quick and easy way to kill a fish humanely.
 

kobrob

New member
Ya, a bled fish definitly tastes better. As for the alcohol being sprayed into the gill's, I like that as well. It will be a case of one spray for the fish and one spray for me!::S:kaykak
 
Top