What rods to buy

Corlic

New member
Hi All,

My uncle wants to buy a set (x2) new rods for himself, and would like some advice as to what rods to buy.

His budget is R800 to R1000 per rod, and he was thinking of getting the Sensation Bazooka's. He fishes conventional style, I fish specimen and thus I am not 100% up to date with what rods to advise him. He whants to be able to cast 120m with a bomb consistently.

I have a set of Raging Bulls (13ft, 3.75lb) that I use for speci, and they are awesome rods for casting as well, however they are a bit out of his price range, and I think a bit too stiff for his casting style. I think he would be much better off with a 12ft, 3lb tc rod, as I doubt he would be able to load a 3.5lb tc properly. He has tried casting with my RB's, but he just does not seem to have the knack to load them properly.

Please give some advise as to what rods are available which may suit him.

 
 

Enigma

Moderator
The new Sensation Velocity. will cost him R550-600 a rod

30 Ton Carbon, fitted with low riders.

Extreme value for money. The Bazooka has pretty much similar action as the Raging Bull but falls short on the Raging Bull performance (hence the price diff) and the Rocket/Bazooka is heavier.

The Velocity is light very good casting rigidity with feeder type tip to make playing a fish enjoyable.

I can't even get a blank for a rod at the price of the fully built rod.

Don't know how long it will be at that price but that is super value for money.

There might be others on the market but I can't comment on it if I haven't fished/cast with it myself.

Beast master a good option but not the optimum for Bank angling casting, the dynamics of the "Mieliebom" cast is different to those of the specimen rig so guide placing is not optimal. (I've just this week modified 12 Beastmasters 12 and 13' rods for Bank angling)
 

Corlic

New member
Thanks Enigma,

See, I didn't even know about the Sensation Velocity rods, and the sure seem to be well priced. I will definitely let my uncle know.
 

Waldok

Senior Member
I got some 12' Velocity rods this week. At Keet's Angling supplies in Boksburg they go for R495. Im testing them this weekend. They feel great, look great, I am confident they'll do the job I want out of them.
 
Top