Well I paddled out off fishhoek yesterday at about

Seeker1

Senior Member
YELLOWTAILER wrote:
Those 10 to 20 kg fish often swim alone or in pairs and judging by how strong the little fish have been fighting,those big tail will be an epic battle to land.
Those are serious size tail. Must say I've never manged to catch a double didget fish on casting tackle in Buffels or around the Point
 

grootvis

Sealiner
Seeker1 wrote:
YELLOWTAILER wrote:
Those 10 to 20 kg fish often swim alone or in pairs and judging by how strong the little fish have been fighting,those big tail will be an epic battle to land.
Those are serious size tail. Must say I've never manged to catch a double didget fish on casting tackle in Buffels or around the Point

Oh, they definately there! Ive spotted many of those fish from the kraantz, usually in pairs though, A mate of mine got one in buffels of 25kg's a couple of years back there on the boat spinning. They looked like tuna, and that is another story, there are also pairs of those swimming there too!! For 2 years we were spotting them from the kraantz and one morning Barry rose got one, but lost the fish after battling to subdue it, line broke!!! Kobrob got a longfin, so be prepared boys, there is some monsters there. I cant wait to get my new kayak and get out there!
 

Seeker1

Senior Member
55lb yellowtail on a spinner in buffels catch of the century for sure.

This one less than half that weight was caught off Millers Point a few years back on bait.
 

Attachments

  • Yellow tail 1971.jpg
    Yellow tail 1971.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 535

YELLOWTAILER

New member
That's a nice tail!!!!!
Having fished the last 18 years on and off at the Kranz I saw Barry Rose land an 18kg tail one afternoon,I've hooked similar busses on 3 occasions and got myself reefed every time.I'm sure hooking one on the ski will be a fight to the death because a large tail will easily tow you to the nearest kelp or reef and attempt to snag your line.
Hooking one in the 30m water on a flat seabed should be a little safer as there's no underwater snags.
Fishing even when yellowtail are scarce can produce these large single fish, they don't move with the main shoal .
 

grootvis

Sealiner
YELLOWTAILER wrote:
That's a nice tail!!!!!
Having fished the last 18 years on and off at the Kranz I saw Barry Rose land an 18kg tail one afternoon,I've hooked similar busses on 3 occasions and got myself reefed every time.I'm sure hooking one on the ski will be a fight to the death because a large tail will easily tow you to the nearest kelp or reef and attempt to snag your line.
Hooking one in the 30m water on a flat seabed should be a little safer as there's no underwater snags.
Fishing even when yellowtail are scarce can produce these large single fish, they don't move with the main shoal .

Yellowtailer, do you still frequent the ledges, I have also not been back there since I have been back in Cape town, crowds get to me, so rather stick to other places these days. That morning Barry hooked the YFT, we had chases the whole day, yellowfin smashing the topwater plugs, some of us did not even attempt to throw as we didnt want to loose our tackle, it was amazing to watch them chasing on the surface!! I think there is always tuna coming in there but they go unoticed by many!
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
The ledges haven't really gained popularity with the public so the numbers of angers remains reasonably low.Which is a good thing for obvious reasons.
Last year a buddy of mine ' Tony ' hooked a tuna that broke him off after a few seconds, then a few minutes later we got a call that guys at Kleinkranz spotted a patch of big tuna swimming outside casting distance.
When tossing your plug at jumping bait fish you have no idea what might take, most expect tail but sometimes one can be surprised by huge tuna.
 

Muddie

New member
The weekend has come and gone, did you go out on the kayak, the weather was good. I had other obligations but free tomorrow.
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
I will be fishing buffels tomorrow but there will be maybe ten kayakers doing the millers area early tomorrow morning mainly fishing for roman and other bottom fish.
I was out at buffels yesterday and saw plenty of massive snoek shoals on the fish finder but they were off the bite.
 

Muddie

New member
Did you manager to boat anything. I may only get there after 10, that's if I can get things in place. The weather is going to be good.
 

Muddie

New member
could not get off, hope you has some luck.
I am toiling with putting on a small motor on the kayak, just for the hell of it. Not to use all the time but to just have sometime off the paddles. Should be a treat to trawl on a calm sea. But the laws that govern power craft also apply to a simple kayak. What is my next step ?
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
Muddie wrote:
could not get off, hope you has some luck.
I am toiling with putting on a small motor on the kayak, just for the hell of it. Not to use all the time but to just have sometime off the paddles. Should be a treat to trawl on a calm sea. But the laws that govern power craft also apply to a simple kayak. What is my next step ?
Think small, think less than 15 hp. Laws are much less strict.
 

Muddie

New member
oomfaan - I have been told and still to verify that adding a motor to a simple kayak, it then falls under the rules of power craft. I was tending to put a 3Hp to have fun in the sun.
 

oomfaan

Senior Member
Any watercraft with motor falls in that under the rules of power craft. But smaller than 15 hp does not require a skippers or survey. Even though it requires the same safety equipment as the bigger craft for the same category,
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
I was out at Sea Point yesterday, plenty of decent size yellowtail on the surface , waters was between 15 and 16 degrees. Pity there just followed lures.They are thick between the 30 and 40m mark.
 

YELLOWTAILER

New member
About a month ago the Sea Point area was a hive of fish activity but seems a bit quiet now.
 

Attachments

  • Photo0029(2).jpg
    Photo0029(2).jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 247
Top