Well I paddled out off fishhoek yesterday at about

kobrob

New member
Well I paddled out off fishhoek yesterday at about midday to try for some tail off my ski. Yellowtail are a new species for me to target off my new Clarkeski GT 470 and here in cape town it is the start of the season which goes on till about april or may. I put out 2 x rap's of different color's and a diving halco and paddled out keeping about 50 to 100mts from the kelp. The water felt too cold for yellowtail to be moving and I noticed there were no boats out trolling or spinning and the trekkers boats were lying motionless on the beach! I worked my way down to glencairn anyway and could see the rod tip's wiggling as the rapala's did their wobbling thing at about 2 to 3 metres. There was a strong north west of about 18 to 20 knots blowing on my back. I went for about 2,5km's and decided to turn around as I felt the wind was intensifying. I then worked my way back against the wind and wow what a paddle it was. I was pleased that my fitness regime was working in my favour. No point in going out and enjoying a paddle and some time on the water if you are not reasonably fit! There had been a lot of tail moving in false bay up till a few day's before I had gone out. The trek netters had been out and had netted a lot of fish. I realised I should have been on the water on the day's that the trekkers had been getting fish and promised myself that I would in future pay close attention to that detail. I had had a few follow's from some good fish 2 weeks back while spinning from the shore near simonstown. I finally after a good workout got back to fishhoek beach and reeled in my lure's before beaching. The stretch of water from glencairn along to fishhoek is a beautiful area to target yellowtail and besides the trekkers off simonstown and fishhoek, a lot of recreational angler's get fish regularly in the area and I had seen fish coming to the gaff while driving back from simonstown the week before. I will wait for the wind to change back to south east and the water temp to increase before I venture out again and, I will certainly pay close attention to the trekkers and their movements.:kaykak Till next time, happy fishing.
 

Attachments

  • New Clarke Ski.jpg
    New Clarke Ski.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,482

jpfish

New member
Hi Kobrob i have only targeted yellowtail from buffels at the point. The fish moving past Simon's Town and Fish hoek are difficult to target off a ski. I normally pull deep divers and if i have fish visual then i try and cast a spinner at them. Makes for exciting fishing . Hard work with many a time not landing any tail. Always great to be on the water.
 

kobrob

New member
Went out this morning at 5.30 and paddled up and down several times from simonstown to glencairn and back. I had 3 x rap's out and was hoping for at least one "on" from a yellowtail, but no go. One of my fishing buddies pulled a 6 kg tail from the side at simonstown on wed afternoon and I know the fish move up and down past simonstown and fishhoek. The water was a very darkish green color with very limited visibility. I put the visibility at 1 m! Not good water to fish in as I know that these fish are sight feeders and I virtually had zero chance of hooking one. The exercise was awesome and I thought to myself, not too bad for 61 years of age! Waiting for the water to clean up and I will be back in on my ski.I see on wind guru there is a break in the wind for next week so I may go to buffels and paddle to the point and back pulling my rap's! The chocca at buffels and simonstown are awesome for kob!:kaykak
 

Moz

New member
Kobrob I think that the fact that you are on the water at 61 is fantastic. I am 56 and love paddling and fishing the Durban waters (where I stay) and go to Mozambique at least once a year to fish off my paddle ski. I intend to stay on the water at least until I am 65 so appreciate reading about your ventures.

Tight lines and stay in the water.
Moz
 

kobrob

New member
Hi Moz, I appreciate your reply. Us old guy's just have to keep on going. My boet Des who lives in durban is 70 and he still goes out on his tunny and get's fish! So I say to myself, hey Rob if Des can be on the water at his age, so can you. I can't say too much about my shoulder's, they are shot with arthrites but I keep on pushing myself. :kaykak
 

kobrob

New member
Moz, 'tight line's to you' Hope you get your Holy Grail fish this year! My holy grail fish this year are yellowtail and if I am super lucky, a yellowfin tuna off cape point.:kaykak
 

kobrob

New member
Well I finally got my 1st tail from my fishing ski. A 5,8 kg. I lost a bigger fish that stayed down under my ski and I was trying to wear it out so get it up. I had it on for over 10 min's and then I experienced that horrible feeling when you feel the trebles pulling out. Also had another on and off, also a bad hook up. I got the fish off buffels bay at cape point on a x rap. All 3 hook up's were on x rap's.
 

Attachments

  • 1 st Yellowtail off my Clarkeski.jpg
    1 st Yellowtail off my Clarkeski.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 2,482

kobrob

New member
Thanks Greg, can't wait for the wind to drop and to get back out there to the point. It's such a beautiful area to fish but then again so is the whole of the western cape.:kaykak
 

jpfish

New member
Hi guys a pic of yellowtail caught i buffel thursday 24/1/2013
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 2,350

kobrob

New member
Yes I had a good laugh because wasievis informed me that the pic of me and my yellowtail which show's the name of my new ski had been removed from the kayakfish blog. At 61, I am too old to worry about politic's bru. My motto is live and let live. I have taken the agency for clarkeski because i would like to sell a few of the ski's and I am passionate about fishing and paddleski fishing in particular. I still have to work even though I do fish a lot, and if I can make a few buck's in the process, well what a pleasure. All the main brand's of fishing ski's on the market are good and I think I have been successful in getting the message out there and that is my main objective for Clarkeski. :SSS:kaykak:SSS
 

Attachments

  • New Clarke Ski.jpg
    New Clarke Ski.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 2,277

Speedmaster

Senior Member
There is Definitely a few people that swear to only one type of kayak. That is fine, just do not try and get all new people to the sport to buy the one brand. There is so many different types of kayaks. It is great to see all the different types on the water.
 

kobrob

New member
Absolutely speedmaster and it's called democracy and coexistance. I don't have any time for arrogance. I also love to see a variety of ski's and boats and fish etc etc. The list goes on!::S:kaykak::S
 

kobrob

New member
Just checked out windguru and there is a window period for wednesday morning at cape point when the wind should be almost down to about 5 knts. It looks likely to pick up again just after about 2 pm. I have got my x raps ready and waiting. All I need now is for a few shoals of yellowtail to move around the point and into the false bay. I heard today that a lot of snoek and some yellowtail were being caught by the commercial boats off kommetjie lighthouse. That is a short paddle from the komm slip and the swell is presently on the smallish side. So I will keep my ears to the wind and listen for any news on tail movements meantime I am going to strand and gordons bay tomorrow to try for a few kob! :kaykak
 

kobrob

New member
Went to cape point last thursday and launched at buffels bay. I paddled out and down towards rooikraans and after paddling for 20 mins I was into a fish which turned out to be an atlantic bonito (sarda sarda). I passed a few shoals and each time I accelerated my paddling and had a hook-up! It is closely related to the striped bonito (sarda orientalis). I got 4 of them and they weighed between 2 and 2,5 kg with one just on 4 kg. They are fine eating fish and are often overlooked by anglers who may be targetting yellowtail. We have had them braaied, grilled and smoked and I guess they are the best smoked. I have caught them previously and my two 10 cm x raps are shredded. They are very voracious and shred anything they take and are strong fighters.
On my way back up to black rocks, I hooked a beeeg fish on a live mullet and after a 25 min fight, i got it to my ski and it turned out to be a bronzie of 2 metres long and about 60 kg. It was a brutish and awesome fight. I was nearly pulled off my ski several times and cut it loose as soon as it was close enough!
I was very happy to have hooked the bronzie and to have fought it all that time because it gave me a lot of satisfaction and peace of mind that my line and knots and leader held up to the rigours of the fight.
Next break in the weather for the point is next thursday and hopefully a yellowtail or two. :kaykak
 
Top