We put a fleet of 3 boats together, 9 anglers and

fedu

Sealiner
Bennie,

Just arrived from my (I can not call it fishing trip after your report) 2.000 Km weekend  "coastal sightseing drive" around the country, and I log on sealine and read your report!!!!

WOW, well done, loved the photos, specialy the ones about bent and also broken rods!!
 
Haha, nice one Fedu, thanks. Ususally we are left drooling over the fish you get over there. It was lekker to get to some nice stomping grounds. Had a ball.
 

fedu

Sealiner
benniejordaan wrote:
Haha, nice one Fedu, thanks. Ususally we are left drooling over the fish you get over there. It was lekker to get to some nice stomping grounds. Had a ball.

Grass is allways greener ...... I drool over your Tuna photos hehehe
 
Eric Cotton wrote:
Great report, Can't see the couta you have in hiding.
Thanks Eric,

We only spent about 4 hours fishing for couta... nuting. Went back to jigijigi and got our arms stretched plenty. The whole week we were there, I only saw 4 couts come out, smallest was 13kg. Yellow fin Kingies were full up keeping they guys busy.
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Nice report/pics Bennie - good to see the boys belting them on jig.

Good news that the couta didnt hassle - the sharks.... I give up ...

Raises the old question, wire bite trace or not - wire trace and the shark stays on, no wire and the couta bites you off.

What are your thoughts on this one ?
 
FREE THE FIGHTER wrote:
Nice report/pics Bennie - good to see the boys belting them on jig.

Good news that the couta didnt hassle - the sharks.... I give up ...

Raises the old question, wire bite trace or not - wire trace and the shark stays on, no wire and the couta bites you off.

What are your thoughts on this one ?
Very good point! Add wire and miss out on other possible strikes too. Would you rig with a steel bite trace or as I do, take the chance? What about rigging with no.7 piano wire, couta shouldn't bite it off but sharks would be able to?
 

jaenswart

Senior Member
benniejordaan wrote:
FREE THE FIGHTER wrote:
Nice report/pics Bennie - good to see the boys belting them on jig.

Good news that the couta didnt hassle - the sharks.... I give up ...

Raises the old question, wire bite trace or not - wire trace and the shark stays on, no wire and the couta bites you off.

What are your thoughts on this one ?
Very good point! Add wire and miss out on other possible strikes too. Would you rig with a steel bite trace or as I do, take the chance? What about rigging with no.7 piano wire, couta shouldn't bite it off but sharks would be able to?

Are you talking about steel on the assist. Mine is hidden beneath the heat shrink anyways, and I make it stiff. It's always steel for me.

No dif in strikes
 
Jaen,
Above attached to the leader - Ring.

I also use steel on the assist hook with heat shrink.
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=34697&forum_id=78 Post 14-17
 

Big Van Jnr

New member
Hi Bennie

You guy's caught plenty nice fish...  You caught quite a few species, that we have never encountered there..

Goes to show... we always learn!...

:wfish

Me and  BigVan has patrolled those waters in summer now for many years and it is a great area to fish..

We will be doing a few more trips there this year .. You  will probably speak to BigV.

April and November is already fixed..

Come visit us!
 
Big Van Jnr wrote:
Hi Bennie

You guy's caught plenty nice fish...  You caught quite a few species, that we have never encountered there..

Goes to show... we always learn!...

:wfish

Me and  BigVan has patrolled those waters in summer now for many years and it is a great area to fish..

We will be doing a few more trips there this year .. You  will probably speak to BigV.

April and November is already fixed..

Come visit us!
Sounds like a plan! 
 

nicos

Senior Member
benniejordaan wrote:
FREE THE FIGHTER wrote:
Nice report/pics Bennie - good to see the boys belting them on jig.

Good news that the couta didnt hassle - the sharks.... I give up ...

Raises the old question, wire bite trace or not - wire trace and the shark stays on, no wire and the couta bites you off.

What are your thoughts on this one ?
Very good point! Add wire and miss out on other possible strikes too. Would you rig with a steel bite trace or as I do, take the chance? What about rigging with no.7 piano wire, couta shouldn't bite it off but sharks would be able to?

If I may add my 2c:

On couta traces, use thicker wire (no7 to no8) on to the trebles, and around no 4 on the leader. You will still pull some sharks, but the number 4 tends to break. Once you KNOW its a shark you can loosen up, jerk, tighten etc and that will sometimes make it kink and break.

On jigs, I have yet to see a couta bite through Kevlar (maybe I am just lucky), even though they rough it up pretty bad so keep an eye and replace. My problem with couta on jigs is that they bite through your leader, and I don't like adding steel as it impedes the action. I don't specifically target them this way, I know Fishing Adventures does so his opinion might be valuable.
 

kp11

New member
[sup]Nice report Bennie, we will be going up in 26 days time can i ask what your demon slayer is
[/sup]
 
kp11 wrote:
[sup]Nice report Bennie, we will be going up in 26 days time can i ask what your demon slayer is
[/sup]
It's one of my jigging rods I imported and it is currently being tested.

Have a blast! There is some guys up there now, we'll hear what they been catching within the next week. It was actually quiet while we were there.
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
WOW thats the mother of all poensies!! Great report and pics Bennie

At what depth did you get the poenskop and was it one of the bottoms that fell to dropshot, & if so which dropshot?
Shot
 
Top