"Video KILLED the Radio Star" ???

I agree with everything said above, but one thing this forum needs is mobile support. It would make a world of difference if the forum can be updated and a responsive template installed.
 

Pylstert

Sealiner
Yip tapatalk works very well there has been requests in the past for it not sure if it costs money though to host on there
 

MichaelK

Sealiner
Back in the day when forums seriuosly thrived it was a pleasure to read and post. Somehow the green bunny huggers crept into these forums and you now cant post a picture without some idiot giving you advice on sustainablity of fish populations ect ect ect and then brow beating you. It gets even worse when everyone jumps in like a pack of wolves feeding on a carcase.
The problem with those guys is they dont see the amount of fish returned and only the odd 1 or 2 fish kept.
I admit that i hardly ever post my catches anymore because of that and tend now to be a roofkyker
 

BTTB

Senior Member
willem wikkel spies wrote:
some good replies already.
it has been discussed previously.

Sealine is like a library!!!!
anything and everything under the sun, about fishing has been discussed already.

so it is here in the archives.

only on the tips and tricks side of angling, can we basically elaborate or hand out the tips.....

looking at the rods and reels...there are so many on the market, it is hard to keep track of them all.
especially new models

so knowledge around the new reels and rods on the market and feedback on them are not freely available.

I still use old technology rods, reels are also quite old, but at least upgraded from the jigmaster 500 range.

they still do the job, so why do I need to change?
I have learnt that knowing when, how and where to find fish is a better weapon then the equipment being used.

looking at face book....eisch.
Agreed. Forums are useful to serve as a Library of information, also searchable with Google. Sharing tackle information is great but I will never post about where and when I catch fish, here or at the tackle shops.

In my opinion it is a no win scenario that I have seen pan out with the West Coast Angling Forum as example where the potential is that hundreds of people can instantaneously know where the fish are biting on the "fly" using WhatsApp.
Its self defeating and potentially harmful to the resource where we would all like a piece of the resource but due to the overflow of information anyone and everyone knows where the fish are.

I come from a commercial fishing family where the mindset was to fill the boat, so my instinct that its OK that the guy in the laaitjie next to me also catches, is accepted. However we never told the whole world where the fish were biting, especially on a Friday as we knew that we would be swamped with boats on the weekend.

In regards to sight casting for Yellowtail specifically and where my passion lies.
This form of fishing can be seen as an art-form where more boats are not helpful when the fish are skittish, in actual fact I have seen the same scenario pan out every time where the moment the parking lot is full, the fish don't bite and vice versa.
Approaching birds and knowing which way the fish are going and accurate casting is needed. Having a boat trolling through the fish with bungies is counter productive, extremely irritating and poor etiquette. 

I have come to a point where I don't fish on weekends and choose my days during the week rather unless I have privy information and know its going to be worth it.

Our group of fishing friends have discussed this situation at length and have come to the conclusion that the guys that continuously use Facebook to post their plans for the weekend and then again their catches with photos are people seeking accolades for themselves and some may have a commercial interest too. One of these guys even posted a comment that he was going fishing on Saturday because he expected there were going to be too many boats out on the Sunday was for us the most stupid retort anyone could come up with .... because its people like him that draw the crowds in the first place and then turns around and comments about the crowd makes no logical sense.

Sorry for the small rant. I am happy if other people catch fish. I am not happy that people feel the need to advertise everything. This is not a sport like running, cycling, hiking where the more the merrier, fishing is a sport where the very resource in South Africa has been in decline for decades, poaching is rife, the TAC is excessive and we really need to protect the resource.
Even with my commercial fishing background it hurts to see huge Cob being killed, large Leervis being put to the knife, the slaughter of small fish along the Osterwal in False Bay, the continuous demise of the White Stumpnose at Langebaan, all the "illegal" by-catches on the trawlers, gill-nets in rivers and estuaries and a places like Dwaarskersbos, the fact we have no idea how much our Government gives to foreign fishing vessels, beautiful red fish being taken along Macassar in False Bay with ultra light tackle, the mindset that its OK to put everything in the bag no matter the size etc. There are many other aspects to dwell on in regards to how our resource is really in a poor state. Adding more and more fisherman to the equation, now with social media is a complete stuff up in my opinion.

My late father told me of how he in his fishing days of the 50s, 60s, 70s saw how the resource would dwindle the moment the boats arrived. He mentioned the scenario of how they used to fish at Struisbaai and then Die Dam, Rietfontein and Buffeljags and then one day he told a guy at Gansbaai about their catches of red fish at Rietfontein and within one season it was all over, the Gansbaai boats came and caught all the red fish. The same scenario played out in False Bay, the Kalk Bay fleet stopped worrying about red fish because it was commercially unviable .... now two decades later the stock has returned, nowhere near its previous pristine levels but nevertheless they are there, but the recreationals and other charter boats are now targeting them again. What they catch and keep I cannot say but looking back I am happy I changed gear in 1992 and sold my boat and got out.

In summary, DAFF are useless and corrupt. You need to smokkel in order to get quotas and fishing rights. The fishing industry I knew in my youth is gone and I was reminded the other day by an old fisherman of 78 years old, how after they used to catch Snoek in Hout Bay and afterwards would go to just outside the Knoll and sak their lines for a couple of Stock Fish fries. Those fish are all gone now.
 

willem wikkel spies

Moderator
Staff member
MichaelK wrote:
Back in the day when forums seriuosly thrived it was a pleasure to read and post. Somehow the green bunny huggers crept into these forums and you now cant post a picture without some idiot giving you advice on sustainablity of fish populations ect ect ect and then drow beating you. It gets even worse when everyone jumps in like a pack of wolves feeding on a carcase.
The problem with those guys is they dont see the amount of fish returned and only the odd 1 or 2 fish kept.
I admit that i hardly ever post my catches anymore because of that and tend now to be a roofkyker

Come now !!!
Post em pics of your catches...seeing is believing!!!!


now, most of them greenies are gone....

but if you post your catches and they come and disturb the tread, then I will personally remove the posts!!
as long as you are within your catch quota!!!

this is a invitation to all users!!!


we are all concerned about our fish stocks!!!
and I believe that most of us, will voice it when it matters.

but when we are within our rights, do feel free to share your catch.

remember, n lucky angler catches a big fish, 1 in a life time.
a great angler, catches plenty of fish regularly and more big fish in between!!!

Happy fishing guys!
 
Got a copy of Bidens Sea Angling of the Cape for myself now..Mind blowing! I think just reading about how unbelievably bountiful our ocean used to be and how stocks are mere percentages (or less in some case) of what they used to be, I think anyone who read that and fishes today would become an insta-greenie..

The resources have been hammered and they need protection and I agree with BTTB where we can't rely on the gov' to do it for us. Stocks of cob, geelbek, red and white steenbras, most reef fish, leervis, tail, cracker black and white, bait fish etc.etc. have been hammered in the past, some have started to recover but with nunmbers still low, some are still hammered beyond belief and some currently are in the process of catastrophic collapse.. Most fishermen I think are completely ignorant of this and not of their own choice, I think it is ethically wrong for those who are aware of what it should be, to stand by and say and do nothing.

:)

Most of my mates will not post pics so as not to get swamped by everyone and their mates on the weekend or the next day. When I post a pic, I wait until after the fish have gone and conditions have changed, seen the hoards decend on a quiet spot enough times. We had a few quiet days last season, then one day when a guy got a few fish and instagrammed it, and the next morning there was not a place to park in the parking lot at sunrise, guys had driven 800k's through the night..Shame and everyone got skunked, no more fish came out..eish..

Posting a pic of a big dead leerie of cob will still get a few comments from me LOL, I mean try and post a pic of a 100lb tarpon or grander billfish you just killed on a forum from a more civilized and educated country and check what reaction you get from the keyboard warriors haha..And rightly so!
 

CharlesF

Senior Member
Dr halibut hoffman wrote:
The resources have been hammered and they need protection and I agree with BTTB where we can't rely on the gov' to do it for us. Stocks of cob, geelbek, red and white steenbras, most reef fish, leervis, tail, cracker black and white, bait fish etc.etc. have been hammered in the past, some have started to recover but with nunmbers still low, some are still hammered beyond belief and some currently are in the process of catastrophic collapse.. Most fishermen I think are completely ignorant of this and not of their own choice, I think it is ethically wrong for those who are aware of what it should be, to stand by and say and do nothing.

I absolutely agree. My father also taught me the valuable lesson if you can't eat your catch in one meal you don't need it. Set it free.
 

Kenty

Sealiner
;)Well to be perfectly honest...from 2011 to 2013 when I got banned from here ...Sealine was a HIVE of activity...could still never understand why some people here complained about posts etc etc...the thing is about this forum and any thread based forum..IF a thread is started and it has GOOD fishing intel in it AND the okies on that thread are having good banter back n forth AND its not to your conservative taste THEN DONT go open the thread to read it...BUT..sadly the admins that were here saw fit to close..chase and of course ban members AND it all imploded in 2014 and many mooched off to FB etc etc...funny enough a couple of those ADMINS went off to start their own website...and Im not talking UA either...BUT ...SEALINE can be great again....most work and most fish weekends...back in the day I used to notice ...not much traffic over the weekend BUT come Monday and most get a gap at work and the forum was alive again...was good!!::slr::
 

Jaco Scheepers

New member
I still like the Forum as it is. And, true, a wealth of knowlege from "hands-on" members.
I would rather share experience and pics on the forum then on social media.

Nice to see old members peaking in or reply on recent posts. ;)
 
A lot of info and tutorials was lost here some time ago. Nobody knows what happened to it... Just poof... gone. Perhaps the site was hacked.
 

willem wikkel spies

Moderator
Staff member
Pylstert wrote:
benniejordaan wrote:
A lot of info and tutorials was lost here some time ago. Nobody knows what happened to it... Just poof... gone. Perhaps the site was hacked.
Surely the owner of the site must know?

yip, a sad thing.

thus big boys....it is time to get writing again!!!
kom nou Psy en Kenty.

maak n plan.

ek self moet die St Lucia tread oor doen want die tread was delete.
sodra ek tyd kry sal ek weer aan die ding begin werk.

hy is iewers maar soveel dinge het verander.
dat dit beter sal wees om n nuwe een te skryf.
 

Serra Moz

Sealiner
benniejordaan wrote:
A lot of info and tutorials was lost here some time ago. Nobody knows what happened to it... Just poof... gone. Perhaps the site was hacked.


True that, I have noticed that too, even some of my own stuff which were posted in the Museum / collections section, are gone, and yes lots "Tuts" are gone? Maybe 'hacked' or removed by the postee? Anyway we can make it work again... Prefer this to the FB version to be 100% honest, just my observation + opinion...
 

willem wikkel spies

Moderator
Staff member
yes they did change servers at a point in time.

many but many treads were deleted by someone.
so the whole sealine profile had to change as it was someone within... ok, back to the other tread.
 
Top