They keep throwing the f*%£"ing hook!

Nick

Senior Member
Im starting to think the fishing gods are against me!:(

Heres the problem: I have hooked four decent size kingfish, all on surface plugs, in four days and lost all of them! Two of them threw the hook as they jumped and the other two just came off the hook. I have still got the trebles on.

If any body can give any ideas on something I may be doing wrong, or who may have any good info, please feel more than free to bless me with your knowledge.

 
 

steve m

Sealiner
maybe try putting singles on i have had that proplem but with leervis put on singles didnt have that proplem again
use it dont use it?
 

ClintD

New member
Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear you lost the fish. Was watching ESA today and Ray was giving advise on tackle and what to do. He advised that trebbles on plugs or spoons are not recommended and said that in order to have greater success change from trebles to single circle hooks. Apparently the fish can dislodge the trebles easier by jumping as well as you don't get a good hook set on treble hooks. Spent the afternoon changing my plugs and spoons to circle hooks. Will have to wait and see how it works.
 

BigMatt

Sealiner
you might be being too gentle. Maybe you should put the beans to the fish and tighten up the drag a bit. If the hooks didnt tear out, but shook loose its because there wasnt enough pressure on the fish...

what setup are you using?

BM
 

DJP

Sealiner
Not a kingie expert but I'l start off by removing the trebles and replacing them with single hooks. I've had a much better hook & land ratio with the single hooks seeing that they set better in the fishes mouth (motsly leeries) Two questions which might help others whom want to give advise would be

How do you strike the fish?

What type of rod are you using?

These things influence lure angling quite a bit. My 2c
 

Fingerfin

New member
Hi Nick,try to remove trebles and fit a good quallity single,Ihave had similar probs up here and changed to 8/0 single hook on plugs and spoons,hook up ratio has more than doubled,hope it sorts you out
 

SAfish

Sealiner
Hi Nick, I had the same problem with small Garrick in the lagoon. I would get a hook-up and then lose the fish 20 seconds into the fight. I changed the trebles to Bandit size 2. The Bandit trebles have a bigger gape and this ensure a better hook-up. I also went for a bit bigger, but not too big to change the action of the plug. The Aubrey da Gama plugs have a hole straight down the length of the plug. The plug can then move up and down the line and this helps when the fish shakes it head. You can also change the trebles to normal J hooks. I have not tried circle hooks on plugs before, but I think they can work.  Have a look at the articles Neil wrote. I hope this helps. Tight lines!!
 

werries

Senior Member
Howzit Nick , normally the trebles on certain plugs arent the best quality.I always change my trebles to Owner trebs which are extremely sharp and you get a better hookset. Sometimes he treble is also to small for the size plug and therefor limiting a good hookup. Singles do work as well although in my experience you get a little less hookups but once hooked it stays hooked . It will help if you could perhaps post a pic of the plugs that gets thrown all the time .What type of plug is it?
 

Nick

Senior Member
Thanks guys! Ill definitely be changing those hooks tonite!

When striking I tend to try and set the hook by pulling the rod to one side parallel to the water, if you can visiualise that. Maybe I should try another method.

My current setup is a Sensation passionstick heavy fast action and Im using 25lb braid with a slade 4000
 

tauruck

Sealiner
Fingerfin wrote:
Hi Nick,try to remove trebles and fit a good quallity single,Ihave had similar probs up here and changed to 8/0 single hook on plugs and spoons,hook up ratio has more than doubled,hope it sorts you out
You said it. Bang on.
 

tintin1

New member
Couple of points this thread raises:

A single will penetrate more readily and stay hooked up longer, but I have found that a straight hook is not as good as a kirbed single.  I pu this down to the straight hook falling into alignment with the spoon (or the plug) or even held in the fish's mouth and takes only a shallow hold. 

A kirbed hook will rotate as soon as the point catches, driving it deep into the fish's mouth.  

My experience is on kingies (locally called trevally) tuna, cobia and 'couta and have long ago proved the issue beyond doubt as far as spoons and heavy, slim lures are concerned.

The other point is that a plug is often a bulky thing in a fish's mouth - so much so that on my bigger, bulkier plugs that float I still fish trebles.  These are very successful at drawing strikes, but an attacking fish pushes water in front of it and that water will push a floating lure quite considerably.  If you are using this type of lure, you need a lot of points to achieve a hook-up and you will miss quite a few.  One of the tricks I'm trying is a palmered hackle feather or two on the trailing treble, which creates a bit of drag in the water and has the hook the last to be displaced by the moving water.  Jury still out on that one, but try it and see if it works for you.

 
 

tintin1

New member
Couple of points this thread raises:

A single will penetrate more readily and stay hooked up longer, but I have found that a straight hook is not as good as a kirbed single.  I pu this down to the straight hook falling into alignment with the spoon (or the plug) or even held in the fish's mouth and takes only a shallow hold. 

A kirbed hook will rotate as soon as the point catches, driving it deep into the fish's mouth.  

My experience is on kingies (locally called trevally) tuna, cobia and 'couta and have long ago proved the issue beyond doubt as far as spoons and heavy, slim lures are concerned.

The other point is that a plug is often a bulky thing in a fish's mouth - so much so that on my bigger, bulkier plugs that float I still fish trebles.  These are very successful at drawing strikes, but an attacking fish pushes water in front of it and that water will push a floating lure quite considerably.  If you are using this type of lure, you need a lot of points to achieve a hook-up and you will miss quite a few.  One of the tricks I'm trying is a palmered hackle feather or two on the trailing treble, which creates a bit of drag in the water and has the hook the last to be displaced by the moving water.  Jury still out on that one, but try it and see if it works for you.

 
 

royboy

Sealiner
Great advice here. I go with consensus on the Singles - Big ones from a good Manufacturer like Owner, Gamakatsu, Mustad in 7/0 - 9/0...will increase your hooksets
 

Sailfish

Sealiner
Also try to put two singles at the rear. Let the hookgape fase one another. Doesnt pick up drifting weed and opens when a fish takes it. But as SAfish said: Try to let the Plug be of the sliding kind so the fish cant throw it when shaking its head. Big + point.
 

Nick

Senior Member
Thanks you lot. Looks like I have a bit of work on my hands. Im going to try my hand at making a few plugs cause tackle is super expensive here!
 

Fingerfin

New member
vmc,gamatsu good choice,but also had problems with electolosis,sorted that out by usin about 50mm of coated and crimped wire(60lbs) plus it gives you a trail type of hook at the back of plug and the hook rarely gets" pushed"flat on the plug when the fish strikes
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Nick

I have been focusing on catching yellowtail, leeries and kingfish over the past few years. Single hooks are the answer exspecially if it is your intention to release your fish. If putting a single hook on a plug it must stand proud behind the plug. Kingfish can hold a wooden plug in its jaws without being hooked,its teeth penetrate the plug and finally just let go. I therefore prefer the plastic plugs. It is true that the plugs which line passes through are better as once you are tight the plug moves up the line and can't be used a leverage. The leverage causes the hooks to tear holes in the fishes mouth therefore leerie shakes his head and bye bye. The zero stretch of braid lines also cause the hook to make a large hole in the fishes mouth. I have hooked yellowtail at my feet with braid and besides having my arms pulled out of their sockets turn him before he reefs me in the kelp therefore no drag as he comes to surface shakes head violently bye bye fish.

I think your biggest mistake you are making is striking. The trick is to wind until you cannot wind anymore then just lift the rod tip and lean into the fish. I have had plenty follows by fish to watch a school of yellowtail behind your plug its just white water. They swim over the other fish jump out the water it is truley unbelievable to watch. It is easy to get exited and strike at any bump you get which may result in a hook up in the head, gill plate or back which often results in loosing the fish. Good luck.

 
 
Top