The next comp will be held in the beautifull area

Billy Rossouw

New member
TRAVY B wrote:
Billy Rossouw wrote:
TRAVY B wrote:
22 WEEKS TO GO.... WAT GAAN AAN....IS ALMAL UITGESORT???

When is the meeting???:wfish:wfish:wfish

Where you going in 22 weeks, Nationals. Lol I'm now I'm going to Struis in 22 days. ::S

LOL I'm just checking if the ouens is sleeping.::S Normally I talk like a malletjie to myself

Sometime malletjies got some good jokes hey. Lmga. Keep going, we'll watch the space. Haha


22 DAYS TO GO...:ifishin:wfish:fishn::S
 

Sculmaster

New member
We are all looking forward to the RASSPL comp in Struisbaai.

Overberg Angling Tackle shop in Struisbaai harbour will have A grade chokka and sardines as well as mussels and redbait available.

Coffee and rusks early morning when signing up in the harbour for all competitors (i think a few will need strong coffee before the comp!)

We still have accommodation available as well - 1 house sleeps 10 people and is fisherman friendly. Contact me for details....
 

Plastic-sinker

New member
Hi Guys, I really want to try this out! I've never fished in a competition before and to be honest I haven't  caught that much fish before. I am still learning to cast a multiplier and don't want to look like a dumb ass in front of all  you pros.

I only started saltwater fishing in Feb this year, but I think this would be a good way to learn and also build up contacts with some okes  with the same interest.

Now the first few stupid questions, how does a competition work and how does the weigh in work, where are we allowed to fish and what tackle should we or may we use?

Could any one of you give me a bit of insight on how this works, please guys don't get frustrated with all the HOW WHY and WHERE's.
 

Billy Rossouw

New member
Plastic-sinker wrote:
Hi Guys, I really want to try this out! I've never fished in a competition before and to be honest I haven't  caught that much fish before. I am still learning to cast a multiplier and don't want to look like a dumb ass in front of all  you pros.

I only started saltwater fishing in Feb this year, but I think this would be a good way to learn and also build up contacts with some okes  with the same interest.

Now the first few stupid questions, how does a competition work and how does the weigh in work, where are we allowed to fish and what tackle should we or may we use

Could any one of you give me a bit of insight on how this works, please guys don't get frustrated with all the HOW WHY and WHERE's.



Hi
Believe me, sometimes the pro's can end up looking like dumb asses as well. Lol
Myself have only started fishing about 3 years ago, and believe me this is the best way to learn and meet new guys
As for the comp, the area are put out before hand on each comp, you should see it on the poster (still to come) each fish caught have a bonus point value to it, even barble and shy sharks, if you join the club, those points will add up during the year which might have you qualify for fishing the nationals. You are allowed any bait and tackle, 2 rods and 2 hooks, sliding as well but with barbless hooks.
Weigh in through photos and weigh mat, you need to take 3 photos, 1 with fish and weigh card on the mat so size can be seen,1 with you and the fish and 1 on the release.
Hope this answer some questions and look forward to meet and see you at the comps
 

Plastic-sinker

New member
I kinda know where the area is by looking on the sat photos provided, I have fished (tried) fishing some of those areas.

I haven't slided before but have an idea of how it's done. I have no clue what barb less hooks is however.

With regards to the tackle... I have a 14ft Poseidon 5  paired with a Toruim 30 and a 10ft rod paired with a Shimano Speedmaster IV, do you think this would be OK or would you recommend a 1 spinning setup and 1 multiplier setup...What is the most common setups used in comps???

About the weigh in mat..do I have to have my own weigh in mat and if so, how much do they cost and where can I buy it.
 

Jackal

Senior Member
Plastic-sinker wrote:
I kinda know where the area is by looking on the sat photos provided, I have fished (tried) fishing some of those areas.

I haven't slided before but have an idea of how it's done. I have no clue what barb less hooks is however.

With regards to the tackle... I have a 14ft Poseidon 5  paired with a Toruim 30 and a 10ft rod paired with a Shimano Speedmaster IV, do you think this would be OK or would you recommend a 1 spinning setup and 1 multiplier setup...What is the most common setups used in comps???

About the weigh in mat..do I have to have my own weigh in mat and if so, how much do they cost and where can I buy it.
You can order your weighmat from me, just send me a pm and ill send you the details, comp rules etc. Every angler needs their own weighmat. Barbless hooks are normal hooks with their barbs being flattened with pliers.
 

speareye

Senior Member
Plastic-sinker wrote:
I kinda know where the area is by looking on the sat photos provided, I have fished (tried) fishing some of those areas.

I haven't slided before but have an idea of how it's done. I have no clue what barb less hooks is however.

With regards to the tackle... I have a 14ft Poseidon 5  paired with a Toruim 30 and a 10ft rod paired with a Shimano Speedmaster IV, do you think this would be OK or would you recommend a 1 spinning setup and 1 multiplier setup...What is the most common setups used in comps???

About the weigh in mat..do I have to have my own weigh in mat and if so, how much do they cost and where can I buy it.

Go through the rules Jackal is going to give you and then on the day find the biggest group of anglers and start mingling and watch and learn and ask lots of questions. Fish with small baits (1/0 hook). The quickest way to make friends is not to cast over anybody try your best to cast straight, always fish just on the side of everybody until the fish start coming out. Try watch where the guys are casting, If the guys start pulling fish out one after the next move into that area and cast where they casting(you can always make friends at the prize giving). Forget about sliding and dont worry about casting far.

You will make mates at the first league and from then on you will be sorted, there's normally plenty of casual members that are just out enjoying the day.

This is not local knowledge/advice but I met a few of the Cape members at the national and they are all cool.
 
Top