Tackle Review or What ?

Basspro

Senior Member
With the advent of the internet, Specimen Carp fishing I suppose have seen a massive following on all types of things carp fishing. Tackle prices goes through the roof, the 'tackle tarts' buy & might hardly use it 'cos someone advocated 'It will put more fish on the bank' - indeed the human mind is a fickle thing.

One such respected angler - Jim Gibbonson quoted: 'never believe an article that reads: 'it will put more fish on the bank' unquote - I agree to an extent here because I believe we live in a different era to that of the rest of the world but a carp is a carp the world over accept 'angler mentality & ability' to think & use reason in his fishing. He tested dumbell baits in the early days & was told the carp will never take to it - yet he proved the nay sayers wrong in that though the waters he fished at the time were heavy on the boilies his dumbells landed him some prize carp much to the dismay of his fellow carpers. In any case fishing is a thinking sport isn't it ?  

Moving On:

I was at the table last night making carp rigs - well teaching myself to make a whipping knot, yes yes I have never used it but this is winter so I'm changing approach here, many tho'ts entered & left my mind some of which I can't mention here but I unpacked my entire arsenal (as one does) and reviewed every terminal tackle item from pop-up widgets to hooks etc. now don't get me wrong I love my fishing (all disciplines) but seriously I don't need complications. For example I don't need 6 different hook patterns so I basically use 2 hook types, I don't need 50 bottlles of pop-ups so I have a handful, I don't need every leadcore & hooklink material so I have a handful to cover every application...If I do need something I'll get it. However I thus rid myself, my life, my house & my carryall of unnecessary clutter. Can't stand it.

So I made my hinge rigs, flourocarbon rigs & now I'm just waiting on the tungsten weights to arrive-job done & I go fishing. I'm not easily sold on many things & I've wondered what value would I get out of something in life or my fishing etc...It's kind of like being with someone - If they don't add value, time to move on. I'm not advocating don't stock up on your hearts desires but give it thought next time you think of buying tackle - If u want it, buy it & use it or else it fades into oblivion. That's just me. I bought N-Trap soft in 20lb not so long ago, after a discussion with a friend and steaming the life out of it I managed a nice hooklink presentation...ok then I'll try it out when next at the water.

To end with it's friday and for one I'm relieved, a week from hell and what not. Either way I'm going to find myself on the sports field, on my bike and at the water. Where will you find yourself this weekend ? whatever you do do it well and where you find yourself I trust it brings you some joy.  

The water beckons and I must answer. I cannot fathom the idea of living a life without fishing or some activity for that matter, can you? I get withdrawel symptoms & I havent even experienced a mid-life crises anyway. In any event we must find that which makes us come alive whatever 'that' is to you-go do that' wrote John Eldridge - a foremost author on the life of men and advocate of exploring the outdoors.

Fishing is life - the rest is detail.

Fish hard - smart and stay safe

From The Carp Diaries

John'O.

 

 
 

Basspro

Senior Member
Failures - Have you had hook links snap on a fish ?

mmmmmmmmmm disconcerting if so. I'll think about this
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
Yup afraid so.. lost 2 good fish. Decided to up the ante in breaking strain as I had some, before I moved to Kryston or somesuch.
I rate Kryston the best manufacturer of hook link material and will probably switch over to them once I've used up my Korda NTrap
 

Basspro

Senior Member
I do agree

I'ver always used Kryston - Mantis / Mantis Dark & never had failure.

I'll stick to the brands I know worked for me
 
Top