Strugling with Braid

deewy

New member
Hi there Guys

I am a fly fisherman and that is my prefered way to fish, but...there is just some spots where one just can not get a fly close to where the fish is, and the next thing, if I get the fish, I want to start experimenting with teazing them into fly range. I target Garrick and I know some awsome spots where the big fish moves, but I am yet to be sucsesfull with them.

I have recently aquired a 10ft silstar spinnig stick with a Penn coffee grinder. I loaded this up with kingfisher braid, about 300m of the stuff. But the problem I have is that I keep getting wind knots and tangles in the line, I will get to a stunning gully on the beach or of the bricks and then 3 cast later I have to chop of 20m of line! Not fun at R1 / m....

What I find is that the braid is very "floppy" or "pap", can this be my problem, but if it is, what next?? Do I replace my braid with something else and if so, with WHAT??

I am keen to start targeting Cob as well, but that I will leave for a next tread.

ANY help will be higly appreciated.

Dewald
 

Stav

Senior Member
Deewy,

First problem is the braid in my opinion. Personally i don't rate kingfisher braid and i've had problems from wind knots to plenty breakage. I use suffix performance braid and haven't looked back. You must also make sure that you wind it on the coffee grinder correctly, remember a coffee grinder winds horizontally instead of vertically like a multiplier reel so when you fill the spool make sure that you reel it off the braid spool with the full surface area of the braid spool facing you (if you know what i mean?). If not chat to one of your local tackle dealers to show you, they should know exactly how to reel it on.
 

deewy

New member
Thanx Stav

Interesting about the winding on of the braid...As I do most of my prep work alone at home I just gripped the spool between my feet and made sure I had tension on the line while winding it on the reel. I am now thinking of spooling the kingfisher braid onto one of my fly reels for backing and getting new braid. What about fireline, from what I have read its a 100% casting braid, being stiffer than the normal stuff, but moer expensive.

What would you guys recomend as to what braid I must get.
 

Bux

Senior Member
I've had similar problems with my PowerPro 20lb and also Fireline 30lb - which is very frustrating when you fishing. Think it is the way it was wound onto the reel. Is there any pictures out there that can demonstrate the correct way?
 

Shimaiwa

New member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwGSTZ-c4Rc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDYquiQKa1A

Spool this way and you should have fewer problems. Don't over fill...
 

Simen

Sealiner
Guys a thing that works when getting windknots is to place your indeex finger on the side of your spool after releasing the line when casting.
It acts much the same as thumbing the spool when casting with a multiplier.
With your finger on the side of the spool you just have that little bit of extra tention required not to get a windknot.
 

Drexciya

New member
Fireline is the way to go. Kingfisher braid tends to fray very quickly & looses it colour which makes it look cheap & inferior. Sufix braid is good for backing on your reel. Sufix braid is also much thicker (mm) in comparison to fireline when you look at breaking strength, which means you get less line on your spool. Rather spend a little more moola & know that you have good quality braid which casts well, retains it's colour, does not fray & that when it says 10lb breaking strength, it is 10lb.

Zoemdoef has a lot of experience with using different braids, I am sure he can ellaborate some more on the topic.
 
Top