Sorry Kraken, not too take away spotlight from you

BlouWalvis

New member
Sorry Kraken, not too take away spotlight from your thread - I thiink it is SOOOO "overdue" to debate and discuss - where to from here --------

I read most of the threads, when me and my buddies go fish - does not matter where, we clean up our and "other" anglers mess within our vicinity. Then members and admin ask but why dont we want to mention our secret spots, well...this is exactly the reason why. For some it is not just about fishing, but rather enjoying what nature has - "so to speak" - in full glory - what better than to fish and enjoy the panorama of a beautfull fauna & flora!!! (Does the soul good!)

Now.......if you go to local spots in the peninsula you will be amazed at the s#@t that lies on the beaches - and if you have experianced the Maccassar "syndrome" on a hot summers day with 300 anglers on the beach - you would understand - not only are there some imcompetent fisherman and keeping undersize fish, but also destroying our beaches with their litter.

The proposal; - why dont MCM / Ministry of NC endorse a "deputy" programme where some of the members od Sealine (being the largest fishing site in SA) have the same legal rights as their NC partners - (and as some members have mentioned in the past) - assign a particular weekend to a member with up to 8 - 10 fellow fisherman and patrol the local spots with regards to licencing, checking catches, giving black bags to those who dont have to clean up after themselves - with the focus on EDUCATION. A few threads ago a young guy caught a ray, gaffed it unceremonously wrong - this is the time then to assist and educate (just mentioned it as an example) - but dont you think we would make a difference if only for a few hours every week?

If we leave this - (thinking how it was about 15 years ago vs now) - I dont think it would get better on it's own and I dont see the Ministry having a positive effect other than their few "off-limit" areas like De Hoop.

Question: - can we make the difference? I dont know, and I dont know whether this is the right approach, but as you all have seen and said many times - this is bad and it is not getting better!

Where too from here?

 

 

 
 

kraken

Senior Member
No worries blouwalvis! We've got to start somewhere and by the individual being proactive, it's sure as hell better than nothing.

Myself and a mate were just chatting now about this and he believes that us Cape Town chaps get together one saturday and do a type of chicken parade(anyone who did national service should remember that little gem!) on the beach.

As mentioned, we really should all clean up wherever it is we fish and that includes other peoples crap.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm a bit of a hypocrite when it comes to this and don't do nearly as much as I should so its about time I too got my ass into gear!
 

BlouWalvis

New member
A Chicken Parade is a term used for cleaning up a specified area with a large group of people. You would normally line up in a single file horizontal to the area you want to clean and start walking. Anything in your path you walk you pick up and place in your bag. By this way the group is quite sufficient in cleaning a specific area.
 

kraken

Senior Member
Basically a chicken parade is an exercise where every bit of litter is removed from the lines/camp/parade ground or wherever.

Its best done by standing in a long line and walking slowly to cover every inch of ground.

Problem is, with a place like maccassar you'd fill a dump truck within the first 50meters! 
 

BlouWalvis

New member
LOL Kraken - you are right - maybe all the okes with their bakkies / 4 x 4's can follow in a "konvooi" and so we can disgard of all the litter easily?
 

baldrick

Sealiner
Agreed 100%. We should think of getting some media exposure should this happen, given the recent negative reporting in some of the press.

I can arrange a Cape Times photographer, who is also a passionate sea user, if you guys want.
 

kraken

Senior Member
BlouWalvis wrote:
LOL Kraken - you are right - maybe all the okes with their bakkies / 4 x 4's can follow in a "konvooi" and so we can disgard of all the litter easily?

This is what my mate is proposing and perhaps we can get an indication from other local CT anglers to see what sort of response we can get.

Darryl has already offered his bakkie and services.
 

kraken

Senior Member
baldrick wrote:
Agreed 100%. We should think of getting some media exposure should this happen, given the recent negative reporting in some of the press.

I can arrange a Cape Times photographer, who is also a passionate sea user, if you guys want.
Thats a brilliant idea!
 

kitefisher

Sealiner
Blouwalvis

I think it is a step in the right direction,The only foreseeable problem with regards to this suggestion is the level of aggression and the accompanied violence that sometimes ensues from a friendly reprimanding.I mean ,that not anyone is willing to get into fisticuffs or knife-fights to get somebody to clean up after themselves.

That is in my opinion where the brilliance of your suggestion lies,Do it in numbers, and soon the perception will have been created that these okes with the blue shirts are a huge bunch and it may actually get people to do some introspection.

I am, like many others on Sealine ,in the habit of cleaning even what you have not bought along,but hey, where do you stop  ,packing up has become a 30 minute excercise in stead of a 10 minute thing.

Strength in numbers, with some TV coverage may get the ball rolling.

Great topic,which lies dear to most on Sealine.
 

baldrick

Sealiner
kraken wrote:
baldrick wrote:
Agreed 100%. We should think of getting some media exposure should this happen, given the recent negative reporting in some of the press.

I can arrange a Cape Times photographer, who is also a passionate sea user, if you guys want.
Thats a brilliant idea!
As soon as we can establish a date and time, I will gladly arrange.
 

Psy

Sealiner
Good stuff ouens!

Its pleasing to see there is a proactive way of thinking here.   ::S

May the magnetism spread further.  :fbash

 

:)
 

baldrick

Sealiner
Guys, i have spoken to a friend of mine who is the Head of Solid Waste Removal for the City of CT and he would gladly support the initiative to the point of providing bags for the colection of refuse as well as the removal of the bags.

I will be putting a proposal to him tomorrow and will let you know what he advises, but no need to use our vehicles, maybe only to bring beers and a braai for the end.

Oh, and also, some serious disinfectant.

i have also posted the initiative on the Rock and Surf website as there are a hell of a lot of concerned anglers there as well, some of which are also members here.

Hope its ok
 

wp34

Sealiner
I am in only if I can get one of those "solid waste" fluorescent bibs!!!!!::S Lets arrange a date and I will get some non-Sealine guys involved as well!!!( all 10 of them!)
 

baldrick

Sealiner
wp34 wrote:
I am in only if I can get one of those "solid waste" fluorescent bibs!!!!!::S Lets arrange a date and I will get some non-Sealine guys involved as well!!!( all 10 of them!)
A special one for you to take home and keep. Seriously though, will arange.
 
Top