Saltiga Braid On Stella

Ulua

Senior Member
Hi Guys

Does anyone know how much Saltiga braid - 100lb 0.55 will fit onto a Stella 20 000 FA  and 80lbs 0.46 onto a 10 000 FA

Also does anyone know where I can get 100lbs Tufline XP

Thanks    
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Craig

The following chart is according to Jerry Brown Hollow Core...

SPOOL LINE YARDS

STELLA 6000 PE3 325
STELLA 8000 PE4 325
STELLA 10000 60 275
STELLA 16000 60 350
STELLA 18000 60 450
STELLA 18000 80 300
STELLA 18000 PE8 325
STELLA 20000 60 550
STELLA 20000 80 400
STELLA 20000 100 400


The two PE Lines mentioned are not Jerry Brown, but standard PE measurement.
If you can find out which JB Hollow thickness matches up with the Saltiga Boat Braid PE 8 which is the hundred pound I think, you should get pretty close...

I just checked my PE chart, and PE 10 should be approx 0.520 mm.... this line would usually test at about 130lb...

PE 8 is listed as 0.470mm

Hope this helps mate...

As a point, I would stick the 80lb onto the jigging reel, and the 100lb on the popping reel.... Thinner braid better for Jigging, and the heavier stuff is better for stopping SHallow water GT's... a GT in shallow water where you popping is gonna bust you off if he's allowed to run more than 50 metres round some bricks... capacity is more important with jigging when you possibly hooking fish at 100 metres plus...

The thinner braid on the jigger will also be less affected by current etc....

Just a thought...
 

Ulua

Senior Member
Hi Neps thanks for the info.

Yep what you saying regarding jigging and line capacity makes sense – the 10 000 FA I think has a 65lbs max drag so chances of breaking 80lbs very slim - higher capacity would be better.

This seems to be confirmed with the AJ I recently lost in Kenya – the 80lbs braid did not part under max pressure but I rather ran out of braid with the line breaking at the spool – if I had more line capacity than maybe I would have had more chance of eventually stopping the fish.!!!
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Mate, believe me you can snap 80lb braid..... even with drag set at 25 lbs... don't ask me how, but it happens!! Usually due to shock etc.. Fish do some crazy things.... part of the reason quiet alot of guys are fishing 170lb braid these days, and drag settings of 18 kilos at strike!!! Insane that the tackle can handle these pressures... that being said, they straighten a fair amount of hooks...

Capacity is certainly an issue when jigging.... rather go 80lb on 20K bro, and 100lb on the 10K... set that drag at 12 kilos and hang on TIGHT!!!
 
Top