Pimp my Ski

[color="#006600"]badballie[/color] wrote:
I actually think that the pop rivets put more stress - the nut and bolt can work - but is sometimes difficult in areas where you can not reach from inside - maybe e-mail Stealth or Eric's and ask some advise..
the Nut and bolt idea would work if I could get into the nose.  Hence the pop rivet alternative.  Was thinking that maybe with a bit of re-inforcing on the exterior, the pop rivet may work.

I put a duplicate of the post on another fishing ski site (you know the one), hoping to get a response from the durban boys.

Still keen to see what the other floaters out there have done to their skis.  The Yanks seem to (as always) pioneered the pimpin their yaks.  A bit overboard (Excuse the pun) but if it  fits on the yak, it goes on the yak!
 

badballie

Senior Member
Yep ...I'll post you a link to a yank that has gone ape ..elctronics, live well, lights the works ...

Re rivets, I saw on the plastics that the rivets put a heck of a lot of force on the material, especially the inside - when tightened, so on fibreglass it would be more prone to cracking than self tappers - me thinks.

Crazy yank :
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7120

and some less crazy Kiwi's - a host of good ideas here :
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=15846

They all use plastics, but it does seem that they do not have to contend with as huge breakers or difficult surf launches than we have to - so they can afford more stuff on top of their kayaks
 

quiet storm

Senior Member
Hi guys

I have a macski kingfisher (fiberglass). I have installed a gps and fishfinder to the kayak and have had no problems. Self tapers work best and do not crack the fiberglass. I have also installed a painters line for my anchor. +/- 20 holes in total so far and no water leaks.

Ask and I can help

quiet storm
 

FAULTY

Senior Member
Looks like the sheep huggers need to wake up 2 hours earlier than us to go fishing with all that junk on their kayaks . Obviously they dont surf launch with all the hooks , clips ,  anchors ,live bait wells etc  that are exposed .  
 

grunter

New member
[color=#006600]quiet storm[/color] wrote:
Hi guys

I have a macski kingfisher (fiberglass). I have installed a gps and fishfinder to the kayak and have had no problems. Self tapers work best and do not crack the fiberglass. I have also installed a painters line for my anchor. +/- 20 holes in total so far and no water leaks.

Ask and I can help

quiet storm

Hi Greg

What fish finder do you have and how did you set it up , transducer and battery , can you send a picture , i am planning to put an echo on, allso how do work your anchor on a painters line, i just tie mine to a stretchie on the front and then drop and pull and drop it from the side , allways getting tangled and problematic.

cheers

ants

 
 

quiet storm

Senior Member
Hi Ants

Garmin 140 fishfinder, ill send photos of setup and Garmin 76 GPS.

Good combo for drift fishing estuaries. Ill take photo of painters line aswell.

Very neat and no ropes all over the place. Send me your email on pm

quiet storm
 

grunter

New member
ok thanks , do you have a chain on your anchor , i have 3m i think that is where my problem is , if you pull the chain through the front eye , the chain is heavier than the anchor so you cant drop the anchorna second time , besides jumping in and pulling the chainthrough the front eye,( have done it out of irritation) that is why i have gone back to the stretchie on the front method.

cheers

ants 
 

quiet storm

Senior Member
Yes 1 m chain on a 1kg anchor with a 30m rope. the painters line takes my anchor to the front or back of ski. I find anchoring of the side courses to much drag.

Ill post photos on blog aswell
 

Neville

New member
Be careful where you use the stainless rivets - if you ever have to drill them out it is a major job as they"bite" on the drill bit and then spin, They are almost impossible to remove if they ever work loose, I spent hours removing them on my ski.
 

MichaelK

Sealiner
Guys, i did some enquiring about anchor systems. I was going to use my old speargun boay, until Hupsidedown (Deon) generously assisted me and made a boay for me.

Now here is an old sea dog who knows what he is talking about.

He took an old pool noodle, pushed a stainless steel rod through it with two holes in either side of the rod. Welded a round stainless steel metal disk to each end of the rod with the pool noodle cut off section in the middle.

The anchor is attached to the one side using 2mm nylon rope purchased from wardkiss hardware to a 2kg reef anchor.

The othere side has a bungie cord running from the float to the ski through the front handle to my side handles. this cord is approx 5m in lenght.

The bungie cord has a velcro leash for quick releasing in the event of hooking a big fish.

Very neat and compact, perfect for a ski with minimal internal space.

Thanks Hupsidedown, its fishermen like you that make fishing an absolute pleasure.
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
badballie wrote:
Yep ...I'll post you a link to a yank that has gone ape ..elctronics, live well, lights the works ...

Re rivets, I saw on the plastics that the rivets put a heck of a lot of force on the material, especially the inside - when tightened, so on fibreglass it would be more prone to cracking than self tappers - me thinks.

Crazy yank :
http://www.akff.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7120

and some less crazy Kiwi's - a host of good ideas here :
http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=15846

They all use plastics, but it does seem that they do not have to contend with as huge breakers or difficult surf launches than we have to - so they can afford more stuff on top of their kayaks

Thats it!!!!

Thats Aussy just confirmed again I am getting an X Factor.

But I will not pimp my yak to that extreme...
 

tauruck

Sealiner
Guys, I have a whole bunch of solutions for attaching fittings to fibre glass skis. From mountings for attaching transoms to the general stuff. 100% strong and leakproof. Pm me
 

Foxhat

Senior Member
Hi There,

I'm big on mods having mounted fish finders, battery boxes, GPS and live bait wells with circulation. I only use fibreglass ski's.

You get a pop rivet called a "peel rivet".

You don't need anything behind the fibreglass. If you look at an Erics canoe closely, you'll see that all components are rivetted.

Peel rivets are available from most fastener outlets, and it's not nessessary to use stainless steel.

Don't be scared to drill into your ski with drills or hole saws to mount hatches, plugs, additional rod holders, handles, and the like.

The more handles you have, the more kids will help you carry your ski up the beach!
 

dasijoe

Member
Thanks Foxhat! I have some eyelets, etc I need to add to the ski for backrest and leashes, etc.

The guy at Paddlers in CT said pop rivets are fine, but worried when I read the earlier posts on this thread. I bought some resin (with hardener) and going to drill, put on a small bit of resin, place eyelet, peel pop-rivet the thing in place.

One tip for everyone else: use some masking tap where you intend to drill. Stops the drill bit from running wild.. :)
 
Top