Picture Perfect

Runner

New member
Hey & a Happy 2015 to all!!!

So i'd just like to hear from you 'photographers' on how you get your specimen to stay still for that picture perfect pose.

Also, exactly how are you holding the fish? I know the front & back fins are being held between your fingers but is there anything else happening behind the scenes? Is your thumb used to hold it up on the side facing away from the camera?

Might seem a bit simple lol but i am having trouble with this as the bfc refuses to hold still so i get afraid to hold it up for the pic. stpime2stpime2stpime2
 

HennieB

Sealiner
Have a look at this pic, it might help
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-iSASrKUz4-8/TfhasYJQjUI/AAAAAAAAAao/o6SryP0MO94/s1600/HOLDING.jpg
 

HennieB

Sealiner
Set your phone or camera to self timer and get yourself a gorilla pod or tripod to mount the camera on it.
 

EugeneC

Sealiner
Precisely as Hennie said, make sure you set it all up beforehand - set the shot up, choose the spot you will pose for the pic, get the camera ready on the tripod etc.

Or get a gopro...;)
 

DocPhil

Senior Member
I sold my SLR a few years ago and it was a mistake as I have not been able to enjoy the new compact camera as much. Although it does take good enough photos if you take care. I only use the stock standard features on iPhoto at present. I may upgrade to Photoshop again in the not too distant future.
Can I also suggest anglers pay attention to some other photography guidelines such as the rule of thirds. For example if the horizon is behind you in a photo place it somewhere on the above or bottom 1/3 of your composition instead of in the middle, and be sure it lies straight across and not at an angle.
If the sun is up use it to illuminate your subject from somewhere in front, but not behind the camera so the shadow falls on your subject. If there are trees or bushes behind you take care to position yourself somewhere where they do not appear to be growing out of your head, rather off to the side forming a background feature by themselves.

I notice also it's a good idea to have the fish sit at an angle rather than straight across the photo. Make sure the fish fills the frame of the shot and the fish is clean and not covered in mud or grass or with blood somewhere.
All these little things combine to make a great shot and add to the enjoyment of our sport.
 
Top