outriggers for kayak

abughalib

New member
I am interested in making outriggers for the canoe I am buolding and found some interesting information on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_hmzajmMCQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The link above shows a method used where the guy uses flag holders to attach the outriggers to his kayak. Whats nice about this is that the outriggers can be lifted out and dropped into the water.

My questions:

Has anyoneon this forum tried attaching outriggers to there kayaks/canoes before?
Does anyone know where I can get flag holders in Cape Town. The type shown in the link?

Your assistance is appreciated.
 

Erus

New member
Ja Ive seën and know two guys with out riggers in CT. Self made. Pm me :kaykak:kaykak:kaykak:kaykak
 
the kayak is pretty stable as it is.. or at least stable enough to take on anything we catch around here.

to start adding outriggers onto the kayak is a recipe for failure. People often go overboard and try to put as much as possible onto the kayak.
As it is, the kayak's fishing platform is small. to start adding unnecessary items to the deck or surrounds is looking for drama.

You will be pretty bummed when the catch of a life time gets free because it snagged on one of your fancy home made out riggers... Yes its great that they fold away but do you / are you really going to fold up and secure your outriggers when your reel is screaming and loosing line?
 

abughalib

New member
I have seen some outriggers that people have built on youtube. Some have besn built so well that the guy on the kayak could even stand and fish if he wished.
 

Malgas

Senior Member
Hi I think the logical place to fit outriggers would be into your rod holders, and if you don't have these you could always install them -then find a way to clamp the outriggers into the rod holders.

BUT if you are going offshore then (for your own safety) leave them on the beach - as in South African waters outriggers would be a liability offshore, and as Thefishmagi- said it's just another thing to worry about and klap you on the head or break in the surf zone .

On the other hand if you want to stand and fish in still waters or on a slow moving river then there may be an application.
 

Hylton

New member
And here I thought outriggers for trolling like a deep sea boat! Ha ha

As for riggers making life more stable to be able to stand up and throw a fly off the ski, I am listening in.
 

BOF

New member
Unfortunately I dont have any photo's.
Help a friend in Matatiele rig up his kayak with outriggers for trout fishing.
Bought PVC piping.
Inserted 2 pieces into each rod holder.
At the top of each piece attached a T-piece.
Pushed a long pipe through both T pieces.
Guy attached 2 20l plastic containers to each end of long pipe and had an out rigger he could put into kayak easily.
He attached the screw on lids of the containers to the pipe so that e could unscrew or re-screw (Ooops) the bottles on for easier transportation.
It worked to make a stable platform for casting a trout rod off a kayak.
NB I would never use this in the ocean!!!
Hope this helps.
 
Top