Okay! That probably caught your attention! lol! M

kraken

Senior Member
Okay! That probably caught your attention! lol!

My buddy and I dragged our weary corpses down to the Struisbaai harbour wall at daybreak yesterday for a quick session with the light tackle and artificials only to be presented with the disgusting mess left by our fellow anglers.

I can promise you guys that were I responsible for legislation regarding fisheries management and having seen this and countless other examples, I would be busy right now drafting a law where recreational angling would be banned.

I know I'm preaching to the converted here(I hope...) but the sad thing is the fact that we are very much in the minority here.

Maybe the only way forward is nazi-style tactics.......
 

Trophy

Sealiner
Hiya Kraken,

It's all over and seems to be getting worse!

The popular spots in PE get so dirty that I worry about disease after fishing them.

Three worse spots are Something Good,'Corner' and Brighton Pier.

Never mind the rubbish left behind...it's all the fish guts and vrot bait. You cannot believe the stench sometimes.

Something good in particular is very popular with bathers and tourists...if things get anyworse...who knows. If I were the Municipal Manager, I would ban fishing at this spot as they did off Shark Rock Pier some time back.

Some folks will just never learn!
 

Muffin Man

Senior Member
Hi Andrew. The sad thing is that at some of these places bins have been supplied, either built or chained to a lamp post, and people still to lazy, slapgat to make use of them. When you reprimand the so called angler it starts to go pear shape.

At harbour island it stinks, I have seen pajama sharks vrotting in the sun left behind by anglers.  
 

Sharkskin

Senior Member
Yip- fishing in a stench screws up a day. I always say that fishing is like Church for me- good for the soul- but in conditions like those I simply cannot relax and enjoy myself. Unfortunately we are all bunched together under the recreational angler banner and it accordingly does not matter what the exceptions (hopefully most Sealine members) do, its the majority who determine how we are perceived. And its sad to see that the majority of recreational anglers could not give a damn about things like this.
 

saag

New member
 I have to agree. I get embarased when I take foreign visitors to places and all you see is rubbish.This problem is not new. It is a culture problem in this country. People discard rubbish everywhere they go because of how they were brought up. There is no respect for your'e invorement or fellow humans. It reflects directly on us as a society. I'm afraid that we will not see a mojor change re this in our life time. The only thing to do is to try and lead by example. At my last visit to Struis harbour I loudly asked my kids to pickup other peoples rubbish. I got a couple of looks from people around me but everybody that left from then on,  put their rubbish in the provided bin (which was overflowing). Maybe they were afraid to get a scolding or the example that the kids made payed off.

 
 

Richard Ohagan

Senior Member
I was fishing at Toti a while back, the rocks stank so badly that I had to move, or puke, that wasnt cool to say the least. When bins are provided it would be good if they were emptied on a regular basis, I saw the bins at beachwood the other day were overflowing, there must be at least 7-10 drums there, they obviosly hadnt been emptied in a long time, it was there that I saw a private person going around picking up bottles and litter from the bush and taking the overflow from the drums and emptieng the drums a bit, I hope that person is a Sealine member (he is a padle ski fisherman), because I want to say WELL DONE AND HATS OFF TO YOU. If more people took pride in their surroundings we would not have this problem.
 

Def-e-nition

Sealiner
Catch 22 wrote:
Fransmanshoek is one of those spots, people just cant seem to keep that place tidy!

The smell is ARGGG!

Wayne And roland from The conservancy spend Most of their weekend Cleaning up saal while I was there .

It's a bloody Shame Man . and a Disgrace  .
 

Patrick

Sealiner
Cant a portion of our yearly angling license fee go to a cleaning squad of some sort at the more popular fishing spots? Job creation where there was none.
Sure everyone should be cleaning up after themselves but they dont, and its not going to keep all the places clean, but its a start.
 

rofflign

Sealiner
Patrick wrote:
Cant a portion of our yearly angling license fee go to a cleaning squad of some sort at the more popular fishing spots? Job creation where there was none.
Sure everyone should be cleaning up after themselves but they dont, and its not going to keep all the places clean, but its a start.
and derive some goverment bureaurocrat from there annual bonus..........unthinkable!
 

tkei

Sealiner
I have seen it in the "unspoilt transkei" Several clubs do postals down at mdumbi from time to time. After one of these weekends, the mess that is left is often unbelievable. Sardine packets just left (rarely old bait left as the locals or dogs clean that up for bait or food), old line, beer/ cooldrink cans etc etc. And thias from league anglers. Fishermen are pigs (generalizing, but it refers especially to R&S and deep sea)
 

muhammad

Senior Member
hi all
i fish alot at snake park and the thing i don't understand is that the people are even tooooooooo lazy to just throw the left over bait i the water .they rather just leave it on the pier floor with no consideration or consern for others.
now that certain places have been opened for fishing in the harbour god only knows what is going to happen.
 

calamari

Senior Member
i had the pleasure this morning of cleaning up the mess some PIGS left at cayman beach last night. hansa&savanna bottles,plastic bags etc.hope they fell in!

this on a beach which lots of kids,dog walkers etc freqent. lovely to think you can cut your foot open on their s&!t, disgusting behaviour from morons.:censwhat i"d like to do to "em!
 
Top