New toys

BluFlu

Sealiner
Last Friday it finally arrived, my Boss Extreme 600NN!  ::S

Had to stop myself from ripping off the packaging in the PO and wait till I got home ...

What a sight!

Being a novice jigger, but being fortunate to have opportunities to really get into it either here in the Cape or in Seychelles (courtesy of my sisters place on Eden Island) the narrow spool is awesome. Will allow me to spend my scant attention focussing on getting the mechanical jigging motion down pat. Best thing is the price landed with all duties etc it came in at R4200 a steal in my mind.

After much consideration opted for the Shimano Blue Rose B183XH. A tad overkill but as my main quarry will be an elusive YFT and with it in my hands I just feel confident of putting down serious drag.

Have ordered 80lbs whiplash as backing which will believe or not give me around 550 metres of string with plenty space for top shot. Innovation in respect line have added a whole new dimension to our sport. Anyway enough chitter chatter. The photos are not great but will give you an idea.

 
 

Attachments

  • 26022010(005).jpg
    26022010(005).jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 381

BluFlu

Sealiner
And a full length shot. The Blue Rose is really nice - no bling but solid as a rock with excellent guides, reel seat and alu gimbal. Now all I need is a decent jigging belt?When will it stop? :)
 

Attachments

  • 26022010(003).jpg
    26022010(003).jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 378

aquadementia

Sealiner
Thats a very cool looking reel
Gee when they said 'narrow spool', they meant it! lol

Cant go wrong with Accurate or a Blue Rose, congrats BluFlu
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Fantastic set up Franz, congrats mate, and welcome to the jigging addiction!
That is a seriously good looking set up, that NN is SWEET!

If you looking for a good looking gimbal to match that set up, look no further than here mate:

http://www.jigstarafrica.com/pages/892622478/Shop/view-product.asp?uID=64

The blue one will be the finest finish to that whole outfit!

We'll need to hook up for a beer at some point to have a look at that set up mate, over a few beers or something...

Very nice mate, congrats!
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
It is narrow that I can tell you and for a few minutes I had doubts thinking I should have taken the 1XN but after putting the outfit together it just seemed right. With 500+ metres of string the bottom 300 of which will probably never see the light of day it has ample capacity and the advantage of not having to worry as much about the line lay I think will be a big advantage to me.
Beautiful product. My first foray into the premium bracket and am blown away by the finish. The same can probably be said for the JM and Alutecnos reels as well. Must say i am hooked :)
 

fedu

Sealiner
Ouch!!! Must not forget to go to the Gym.

The rod Weights 515g and it's rated for jigs of 1 KILO !!!!!

I hope you are a very big guy going after HUGE YFT and MARLIN on  jigs!!!


The Blue Roses are beautifull rods.
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Strange but it does not feel it.

The outfit seems very well balanced but I guess at 6.6 and well into the 100's and used to mostly pulling on 50lbs standup rigs I might be biased.

What I need is some endurance work though - I am certainly built more for impact than speed:)

Andre - you have a pm.
 

ChrisW

New member
fedu wrote:
Ouch!!! Must not forget to go to the Gym.

The rod Weights 515g and it's rated for jigs of 1 KILO !!!!!

I hope you are a very big guy going after HUGE YFT and MARLIN on  jigs!!!


The Blue Roses are beautifull rods.

Wow that rod is a monster!  BF what this means is in order to develop good rythmn and timing when mechanical jigging, you need a jig load that will make that rod load and work.   This means using very heavy jigs, maybe up to 1kg. 
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Will give it a bash this weekend. The BR Heavy is rated upto 420 g and the heavy although overall a heavier stick has surprisingly got quite a bit of tip action. Not as much of a broomstick as it may seem:)

If the weather holds - there may be an opportunity to head to the deep and hopefully although a little later/early there my be some YF around:)

Will see how it goes. If it is too heavy I will be 'forced' to go looking again before I hit Seychelles in May:)
 

fedu

Sealiner
I don't know your rod, I used to have a Blue Rose S60MD that I "got rid off" to my good friend Jan "Pargo Man"  and it was rated 700g jigs, weighted 530g and I think Jan ex-quarterback body is much more suited to use it than mine.

In an 1.83m rod, was too much for me jigging all day, could not do it for more than a couple hours, but Jan is loving it and he tell's me he is trying to target Sailfish & Marlin with it....
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
I think this is the same rod would guess 1kg is a tad optimistic.
The main intent is not marlin ... I wish:) I will be using it 90% of the time for YFT. Have set myself a challenge to get a decent one on jig. Use will be limited to relatively short spells while the rest of the crew are chunking and bait fishing with the standup rigs. For this application you need to really pull or your mates might just burn you off the line if you take too long:)
Will see how it goes in Seychelles which will hopefully become an annual trip. If needed can always downscale in future.
 

fedu

Sealiner
Kilsong is the man to talk with about Tuna jigging probably he has the best track record of Tuna Jigging in the world.

He is a member here and usually hangs around 360tuna.com.

I think two years ago he was suposed to go to CT to try YFT jigging there with miles but the weather did not allow it.

I also know for shure miles has an "incredible" JM rod for Tuna jigging in CT but don't know if he allready had a chance for using it

Miles Jigging Master 500gram PowerSpell, with a 20 000 Stella loaded with 80lb braid
http://www.sealine.co.za/view_topic.php?id=32384&forum_id=67

P.S. - Not really shure, but also think Tackle Whore allready got some good size YFT (?82Kg?) there in CT, don't know what rod he is using.
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
If Tacklewhore is who I think it is he uses custom Synit rods with Stella 20000's. Very nice but a little dear at around R5k a stick.
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Found something very interesting on the net and wanted to get a view from the you guys. The jigging reels don't have reel clamp lugs. The solution that get strapped had was a bracket that fits under the reel and is clamped on using the reel clamp. Retails at around $30 plus postage.

 
 

Attachments

  • mm_lodging_image.jpg
    mm_lodging_image.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 291

BluFlu

Sealiner
I for one want to feel the deep burn but may be a good addition for thise guys who are not taking on the big uns without a harness?
 

tackle whore

Senior Member
FEDU you got the JDM blue rose rated at 20 oz deadlift 23kg . it is alot heavier than franz rod lots more back bone as well but once loaded 17kg no worries with out a harness , all my tuna till recent was on my m60d now synit venoms 550 and 350 g rods .did your goods arrive yet ?
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Just in case you were wondering this is what a Blue Rose S60MD looks like under load; maybe a tad to high!

P9050099.jpg


 
 

fedu

Sealiner
Mark,

I was hoping you would step in, knew you had a S60MD.

What weight jigs do you usually use with it ?
 
Top