Need to choose a Christmas gift

Which would you RECOMMEND?

  • Penn Sargus 6000

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shimano Spheros 8000

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daiwa exceler oceano 4500

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    0

mad mike

Senior Member
Hey there guys and girls
I realise that this is a frequently asked question but every time i read a new post I seem to change my mind so i was hoping people could choose a reel from above that they would recommend for a general purpose ski-reel (ie. light jigging, spinning, drop-shotting and occasional bottom fishing) and if possible give any good/bad experiences with the reels

The Spheros is in the lead because i have found it at a good price but i saw a Sargus today and it feels great (reviews tend to taint my view though)

The reel will be paired with a kingfisher poseidon light jigging stick. (I looked at the elbe/Okuma titan jig which doesn't look too bad either??)

Tight lines:wfish
Mad Mike
 
I have fished will all three of the reels mentioned above, although i am not to sure on the sizes I used.

I found the drag on the Exceller to be great. I don't own one (cos is Daiwa and I dont like getting my hands dirty), but must admit i was pleasantly surprised with how the reel handles and fishes. We were fishing off the kayaks in langebaan a few years back and Bulky got stuck into a decent smooth hound. Eventually the braid snapped after snagging on one of the kayaks eyelets whilst under tension.

My Sargus got a bit sticky after the first few trips out. I use it on my medium heavy jigging stick for snoek fishing. When I say sticky, Sticky = cast, click the bail arm over and the first turn which engages the gears took a bit of effort.. not hard work, just not a smooth transition. This seems to be a common problem.

I recently about 2 years ago bought a spheros to go on my light stick. (Spheros 2500) So far so good, but i noticed the other day that after not rinsing her after a trip, the bail arm siezed up. (i guess it was to be expected really and one cannot blame the reel) It is not a very popular reel as most guys rather just take the leap / knock and go for the stradic, which is the more rock solid reel. Some also say the retrieval speeds of the spheros is slower than some of the other reels hence it not getting a great number of followers as do the other shimano spinning reels.

Hope this helps
 

mad mike

Senior Member
thanks for the response TFM
It really helps with the decision
Tight lines, hope the conditions are better down there than up here :raine
 

QuQ

New member
I highly recommend you consider / try the new Stradic FJ. I have two and they are awesome!!!
 

mad mike

Senior Member
Thank you for all the advice everyone
I've decided to go with the spheros 8000 and the kingfisher poseidon light jigging rod
I know the tackle takes a beating so i will rather upgrade later, if need be

Tight lines, hope the water cleans up soon^^..

:wfishMad Mike
 

aquadementia

Sealiner
good choice Mike, had a spheros and loved it! Only problem I ever had with mine was that the line roller screw became loose . Keep that in mind, but it was after years of rough boat rides etc
 

mad mike

Senior Member
thanks for the input Aqua, really appreciate it

Btw I bought the Spheros at Sportfisher in PMB (speak to either Chris or Freddie)
The guys there are always very helpful and the prices are generally very very good

Got the Spheros 8000 for R999 ::S (that's R500 less than most places)

Now I need to get the rod and braid and I'm sorted (suggestions on braid?)

:kaykak:wfish

Tight lines
 

SPOOR

Member
ive tried almost all the different braids out there and can say with a clean con. that you wanna fis below 8 lbs then get berkley's nano fill but if you ar fishing 14 pounds and down you shouldnt even think about buying any thing else than berkley fireline casting no wind knots i have mine now for three months and its been awesome not one knot from new !just my 2c
 

Fredster

Senior Member
hi, good choice on the spheros, you wont be disappointed - i have three (8k; 6k & 5k) and have had them for years mostly. Tip: we pack them full of that blue waterproof marine grease before first use. Regarding braid, based on the size of reel you have, you are obviously looking at 30 - 50 lbs braid, not the light stuff mentioned - i use sufix and double x and have been quite happy with them. 50lbs on the 8k = 270-300m;( the 6k takes almost a full spool of 30lbs and the 5k has a spool of 20lbs on).
by the way, i also have the oceano, but dont use it much anymore, - not so durable( bail arm&roller) and the reverse switch often seems to get bumped in the hatch or when getting rods in or out.
 

mad mike

Senior Member
Thanks for the advice fredster
I found myself some good deals so now its just the fish...
Poseidon light (60-200g) rod... Tick
Speros 8000.... Tick
48lb Gatorbraid (600m).... Tick
Going to ballito tomorrow for a week ::S lets hope the weather and sea stay calm

Tight lines :wfish
 

mad mike

Senior Member
Thanks for the advice fredster
I found myself some good deals so now its just the fish...
Poseidon light (60-200g) rod... Tick
Spheros 8000.... Tick
48lb Gatorbraid (600m).... Tick
Going to ballito tomorrow for a week ::S lets hope the weather and sea stay calm

Tight lines :wfish
 
Top