Moving to West Coast, Shelly point. New to saltwa

miles

Sealiner
That fish was shot by the legendary Tommy Botha on 06 November 2004. Fish weighed in at 92kg's, as per the photo below!!

15i6v7d.jpg


 

He also shot this 85kg YF on the same day:

mj7fvt.jpg


 

Besides those two, he also shot a 3rd YF. Myself and Nico only manage one small YF in the 50-55kg class each, just showing why Tommy is classed as one of THE best spearfishermen on this planet!!
 

royboy

Sealiner
WOW!!!! That is just crazy!!!! Gobb-smacking crazy!

I like the way you say you guys only managed smallies of 50-55...... Spoilt Miles, bloody spoilt you've been!

Are you still in Canada?
 

miles

Sealiner
Yip, still in Canada!! Another 7 weeks to go and i'm back for GOOD!!

Yes, we are VERY spoilt down here in the Cape where 40-50kg YF are classed as small or young fish.

Here's a few more decent sized fish on the spear, when i took out some friends from all over the world:

Australian Spearo, David Hotz with his 80kg+ YF

125hxr9.jpg


 

Spanish spearo Dani with his biggest fish to date, note the small blue shark at the bottom of the photo:

24qto21.jpg


 

Fernando, another spanish spearo with his 80kg+ YF:

34ox6yf.jpg


6t03sl.jpg


 

My WIFE with her largest YF on rod and reel to date: 86kg's

5lz9ys.jpg


 

 
 

miles

Sealiner
Was digging around some old photos and found some old video clips. This is what a 20knt NW does to the sea. The video camera doesn't show how lumpy the sea is, but look at the way the boat "stamps" and imagine a 2-3 hour ride in those conditions.......

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/9FneDtL0X9c&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]
 

royboy

Sealiner
Ugly Shite yup! Nobody likes a nasty sea - and you know this more than most! Had a few times in my life that I have considered asking for forgiveness due to Mother Natures oceans.........nasty.

Would like to organise (when you are back for good!) to take a ride out with you sometime? Have gone out from FBMT with Ant and Steve and seen Dr Fish on her mooring and wondered.......Mmmmmm.
 

MOGGY

Senior Member
Miles,

That duck sounds a lot like the type of boat that Tommy Botha used to start the Tuna shooting operation.

I am very happy with my duck and it solves the flotation issues.

Are you using the guns that Tommy and Anton are building ?

Tommy is always inviting me, but this work thing interferes.
 

miles

Sealiner
Moggy, the 6.5m mako IS Tommy's duck. We've put PLENTY of tuna on her decks, both fishing and spearfishing. I think i've got 5 of Tommy's guns, 67", 63", 2x55" and a smaller 2 band 55". Truth be told though, i've done very little diving over the last year and a half. Working in Canada for that time. Our last decent trip was up in your world, at Eerste River. Tommy and myeslf did some testing for PELAJ guns:

2z8z50z.jpg


33a9pu9.jpg


 

You simply MUST come visit when the tuna are around!! I haven't shot one in almost 2 years now and neither has Tommy. He also got into the commercial tuna fishing game and from then on, there simply wasn't time to spear tuna..........
 

MOGGY

Senior Member
Nice photos.

I haven't seen Tommy for a while, please give my regards, when you see him again.

I got a call from Edward Hayman, he lives in Sedgefield now.

I definitely would like to get a Tuna, I will stay in touch.
 

dugongboy

Sealiner
MOGGY wrote:
The Witblits is 4,3 m or 14 foot, very small.

The Natal boat don't work well from pe to CT.

They don't drive very far in Natal, they don't need to go 40M to catch fish.

24 foot Kei Marine scorpion is a good boat, if you can find one.

MOGGY, the Natal guys are running further and further every year esp during summer where the guys are dropping their FADS further away (crowds and cop problem), it is not uncommon to have FADS in the 50-70km range up north and even guys fishing for couta are running to Yellowtail which is 50kms.

Distance on a smallish boat is fine as long as the weather plays along..........and we all know that it dosen't always. I have run up to Umdloti(24kms) for couta many times on smalish boats, my SkiVee included and when you get there there are 30+ skiboats that have run up but all the small boats are the first to start leaving when the wind starts to blow.

 
 

MOGGY

Senior Member
Do you guys run that far, straight out to sea, or along the coast ?

Who drops the FADs off and how are they secured ?
 

dugongboy

Sealiner
MOGGY , No, up the coast, but still far offshore(6-10 kms) depending on the depth as most FADS are deployed in 50-250 M of water - the deeper the more rope and more drag, at 100m you need at least 135m of rope. The closest FADS are mostly more than 12 kms but are eaisly found and removed by the cops/Navy or overfished by all and sundry!! For this reason guys, especially charters, place them far away.

Couta fishing at Umdloti will only be 1km or so off shore but at Yellowtail the reef is far offshore and far from Durban.

We(used to) typically use cast slabs/blocks(75kgs each) like this but guys use allsorts of things like old engine blocks(usually Colt) or even Optimax motors!!

Disclaimer: I dugongboy do not deploy FADS as they are illegal!!(I also never talk on my cell whilst driving )
 

Attachments

  • Fad2.jpg
    Fad2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 440

Stonechamp

New member
I have stumbled across what seems to be a reasonable buy;

Infanta 5.2 RSI (2007), 2X60 mercury Bigfoot 4-stroke moters each with 53 hrs;
current Cat C 15 nm license, fully equipped with safety gear, 196 Garmin GPS/fishfinder;
Boat and engine covers.

Would anyone like to comment particularly on the 6h HP's and the Infanta, and the combination?

I know there is a certain "dislike" in the Western Cape regarding Mercury motors,
but ESA seem to be happy with them?????

Also the Infanta is PVC whereas I got the impression that Hypalon is better??
 

Bliksem

Senior Member
Stonechamp wrote:
I have stumbled across what seems to be a reasonable buy;

Infanta 5.2 RSI
(2007), 2X60 mercury Bigfoot 4-stroke moters each with 53 hrs;
current Cat C 15 nm license, fully equipped with safety gear, 196 Garmin GPS/fishfinder;
Boat and engine covers.

Would anyone like to comment particularly on the 6h HP's and the Infanta, and the combination?

I know there is a certain "dislike" in the Western Cape regarding Mercury motors,
but ESA seem to be happy with them?????

Also the Infanta is PVC whereas I got the impression that Hypalon is better??
 

Attachments

  • Infanta.jpg
    Infanta.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 400

miles

Sealiner
Hiya

Stonechamp, the 5.2 Infanta is a small boat. You will NOT be able to take it 30-40nm offshore. For inshore use, its OK.

2x60hp motors is PLENTY of power for that boat. My 6.5m hysucat as well as my buddies 6.5m mako had 2x50hp 4 strokes on them, and they were more than sufficient. So, she'll FLY with 2x60's on!!

Mercury motors have developed a poor reputation in the Cape. Their bigger Veardo motors being VERY, VERY, VERY heavy on fuel. Their optimax range was also not very well received. Some guys LOVE them, others absolutely HATE them. In all honesty, i haven't seen a single small 4 stroke mercury here in the Cape. From the international forums, the smaller 4 stroke mercury's are pretty decent...........

Hypalon is better than PVC. How-ever, all that means is that a hyperlon boat will last longer. The newer high quality PVC is almost as good as the hyperlon, but considerabily cheaper. So, you boat will now last 15 years, as opposed to 17 years with hyperlon (just an example!!) I've had both PVC and HYPERLON boats. PVC is easier to fix. Sinec one rarely keeps a boat for 10years+, it really does not matter......

For plain inshore use, on the West Coast, i'd still advise a fibreglass boat. You're mainly going to be catching snoek and yellowtail, both of which will see you using treble hooks on spinners/spoon or rapala's. Not a good idea with a semi-rigid........
 

Stonechamp

New member
Hi miles,

Thanks for your excellent advice!

I will take the boat for a spin and decide from there, depending on the quality and price.

If I decide to get the infanta I will not venture further out than 15 nm, and only leave the inshore on good weather days, and only after gathering good experience for a year or so.

Depending on how my needs grow I will get a larger boat and use the same engines.
Maybe the 6.5 rib

In the meantime I hope to hop aboard with friends for those longfin.

Oh yes, and I will have to be careful and take that superglue you recommended elsewhere with me!

::titanic:
 
Top