FeedingFrenzy
New member
Hi All
As an ecologist and a fanatical angler (its what got me into this career!) I have started thinking about things in a very different light. A good angler and fellow conservator Matthew Prophet proposed this system and as far as I know it is in operation on the Breede for dusky cob. Basically our size limit system paves the way for anglers to remove the larger fish from the breeding pool. Think about it: you catch a 3 kilo galjoen and take it home to braai. You have just removed an experienced fish from the system - one that has survived countless trials and tribulations to reach this size and one that contributes to the success of the species as a whole - good genetics! Or even more so - a 15 kilo white steenbras (actually, killing a white steenbras that has not swallowed the hook is just criminal!) - a fish of that size is contributing to the survival of the species! So in essence we should have a maximum size limit! If I do take a galjoen for example it will be one that is just size! Anything bigger goes back in - unless of course it got banged up on the rocks or in the case of a white steenbras - has swallowed the hook and is not reviving. There is a strange paternal instinct to protect young animals that does not necessarily have a place in resource management. Young ones should be subject to predation - thin out the numbers to ensure more resources for those that do make it! I'm not advocating less rights for us anglers, I'm saying we need to manage our impact on our fish stocks. Anglers do have the ability to wipe out fish - often the blame is placed on commercial and semi-commercial guys but the truth be told, its us recreational guys that have the biggest impact on certain species. In False Bay we are all aware that trek netting was responsible for diminishing the white steenbras breeding population - but it doesn't make it right for us to also remove breeding fish. Anyone out there that thinks this is fallacy need only look at photos of Hermanus in the heydays - old ballies with huge piles of fish - and I mean huge piles - caught from places like Nooiensbank below Gearing Point - you don't get anything much there anymore - when I was a laaitie I still caught wildeperd, dassies, hotties and a solitary johnbrown there - but not huge piles of fish - that included monstrous red steenbras. So guys let's think about and do something about it. I can imagine that this sounds like a whine (anybody got any cheese?) but it is a serious issue! I hope we can have a lively discussion on this.
As an ecologist and a fanatical angler (its what got me into this career!) I have started thinking about things in a very different light. A good angler and fellow conservator Matthew Prophet proposed this system and as far as I know it is in operation on the Breede for dusky cob. Basically our size limit system paves the way for anglers to remove the larger fish from the breeding pool. Think about it: you catch a 3 kilo galjoen and take it home to braai. You have just removed an experienced fish from the system - one that has survived countless trials and tribulations to reach this size and one that contributes to the success of the species as a whole - good genetics! Or even more so - a 15 kilo white steenbras (actually, killing a white steenbras that has not swallowed the hook is just criminal!) - a fish of that size is contributing to the survival of the species! So in essence we should have a maximum size limit! If I do take a galjoen for example it will be one that is just size! Anything bigger goes back in - unless of course it got banged up on the rocks or in the case of a white steenbras - has swallowed the hook and is not reviving. There is a strange paternal instinct to protect young animals that does not necessarily have a place in resource management. Young ones should be subject to predation - thin out the numbers to ensure more resources for those that do make it! I'm not advocating less rights for us anglers, I'm saying we need to manage our impact on our fish stocks. Anglers do have the ability to wipe out fish - often the blame is placed on commercial and semi-commercial guys but the truth be told, its us recreational guys that have the biggest impact on certain species. In False Bay we are all aware that trek netting was responsible for diminishing the white steenbras breeding population - but it doesn't make it right for us to also remove breeding fish. Anyone out there that thinks this is fallacy need only look at photos of Hermanus in the heydays - old ballies with huge piles of fish - and I mean huge piles - caught from places like Nooiensbank below Gearing Point - you don't get anything much there anymore - when I was a laaitie I still caught wildeperd, dassies, hotties and a solitary johnbrown there - but not huge piles of fish - that included monstrous red steenbras. So guys let's think about and do something about it. I can imagine that this sounds like a whine (anybody got any cheese?) but it is a serious issue! I hope we can have a lively discussion on this.
.
down on me!