Mahajunga Madagascar 03-07-2010

ONDE ONDA

New member
Thanks Mark great presentation.  Now I am totally confused I went from wined on to PR knot. but haven’t used PR  on boat yet, the reason being is watching reports and videos’ more PR knots is used in Japan and NZ than  wind on leaders. Now you got me thinking.         
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Onde,

 

Not that i am an expert on what the guys use in Japan and NZ, but from what i have seen on their fishing tackle websites they use solid core braid and i have rarely seen hollow core on any Japanese website so they will be inclined to develop knots for that line system.

 

Jerry Brown hollow core spectra is manufactured in the USA and i believe that the trend over there is to go over to wind-on leaders; for me it's simple, i use what i think is best and wind-on's make for less fidgeting out on the water and i have more confidence in the strength of the connection than the PR knot.

 

At the end of your fishing trip you dont have to keep cutting off your assist hook as all you do is unloop the wind-on with the assist attached, coil it and secure with a rubber band and Bob's your auntie.
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
"At the end of your fishing trip you dont have to keep cutting off your assist hook as all you do is unloop the wind-on with the assist attached, coil it and secure with a rubber band and Bob's your auntie."

 

 



I assume you want to keep assist on the leader because you have that bite trace which would be hassle to remove then retie.

When no  bite trace, clipping and retying a uni take about 15 seconds max and then your leader is stored on your reel ready for your next trip without having to fidget and reconnect it ?
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
FTF,

Correct on the steel bite trace, but every time you tie a uni you are going to loose about 200mm to 300mm of leader as you need a decent tag to be able to apply pressure to the knot.

I also prefer to keep the leader off the reel in a larger diameter coil as the leaders, especially flouro, tend to retain the spool diameter memory and you end up with a spring instead of a nice straight leader next time you go fishing.
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Thanks - got it now - for sure keeping stiff fluoro leaders on an egg beater is tough unless you tape it down thus leading to line memory issues I guess. Nice attention to detail.
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
I still have one problem to overcome and that is line twist; I noticed that the Turkey Slider jigs really twist your line up good – really wish they would make a Owner 300lb solid ring connected to a Spro 80lb , 130lb  and 250lb bearing swivel during the swivel manufacture process (I don’t like those bulky welded rings that you can buy with the swivels)
 

Nepptune

Sealiner
Mark - Why not eliminate the Solid ring entirely and replace it with a high quality Ball bearing swivel? Tie the Assist to the bottom ring of the Swivel, and away you go?

Or buy an overhead:) HAHAHAHA!
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Nepptune wrote:
Mark - Why not eliminate the Solid ring entirely and replace it with a high quality Ball bearing swivel? Tie the Assist to the bottom ring of the Swivel, and away you go?

Or buy an overhead:) HAHAHAHA!
Nepps,

Good idea, they should make a swivel with one regular eye and the other larger.

 

I like the SPRO's are they are low profile, but the eye is too small for an assist and split for the jig.

 

As for the overhead there are far too few moving parts for me to be interested in; they make good sinkers though.

 
 

fedu

Sealiner
Those same break-offs are happening to me but only on my casting stick.

Allways thought it had to do mostly with the rapala titanium braid I'm using on that setup (thinner), on all the jigging setups with the YGK or the Barros Stamina Bazzoka braid I don't seem to be having that problem.

P.S. - I've extended my half stiches after the PR Knot to try deal with it.
 

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Fedu,

 

It does happen more on the lighter braid and the other issue I have with the PR is that the leather jackets bite you off on the knot as it is coloured per your braid; at least with the wind-on you can use white binding which should discourage those little buggers from biting off your leader.

 
 

fedu

Sealiner
This is a pics from jigsdirect, my half stiches are extended along that red line, that way the abrasion is not directly over the "thin" braid but usually happens on the "protective" half stiches.

Also the half stiches "on the" end off the mono are key.

resuming longer than the recommended 1cm lenght of half stiches (+-2cm) and special care on the half stiches on the mono to braid transition.
 

Attachments

  • pr25 (small).jpg
    pr25 (small).jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 119

blaasoppie#1

Senior Member
Fedu,

That is the site that i learned to do a PR from and it still breaks off on the lighter braids.

The way to go is bimini, plat the bimini for 4 feet then splice into 3 feet of JB hollow core and secure with a uni on each end.
 

Attachments

  • pr25_(small).pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 18

Nepptune

Sealiner
Very interesting thread this.... Mark I particularly enjoy hearing your input, and yours Fernando as you guys are both very dedicated anglers, who both do alot of tghinking on the water, and off the water while preparing tackle and coming up with new ideas and techniques, its so great to have this info shared here with all of us...

And you buggers both get to fish a great deal more than most of us, so the details shared, are being proven on the water, and that counts for ALOT!

On to this PR knot issue.... I personally have never had a problem with the Leader damaging the braid as per your explanation Mark.... but thats of course not to say I'm disputing what you are saying obviously.... I personally have just never had it happen...

I usually ball the tag end of my PR knots VERY lightly...and my only reasoning to doing it is so that I have something to tie the half hitches up against.... I don't think the "mushroom" on the end makes the knot any stronger in truth... if the mushroom is your last line of defence, well then I think your knot is going to fail...

So a couple quick questions:

1 - When you burn the tag end, how long is the tag end you are burning? Reason I ask is, I'm wondering if the braid is getting heat damage in that area? I burn the tag end very lightely almost immediately after I have tied the first two half hitches to lock the wraps... so the tag is still pretty long, and I can protect the braid well from the flame.. Knowing how meticulous you are in tackle prep Mark, I can't see you damaging the braid with a flame, but thought I'd ask anyway.

2 - Are you tying your haldf hitches nice and snug up against the wraps after going over the balled end? If not, this area has the tendancy to work loose and possibly catch on one of the looser loops of the half hitches on the balled tag end.

3 - My immediate thought on reading your PR troubles was what you mentioned above, and thats having smaller fish attach the PR knot.... Best bet, take a black marker and colour the knot in, then coat it with wax ( lip ice or something ) which prevents bubble trails and getting slammed by small toothy predators.

ANyway, each to their own I guess, and I personally love the PR Knot, and will use it with confidence for sure as its proven itself to me....
I'd like to get into making a few wind ons myself, just for sh*ts and giggles too as I think they are a super useful skill to have, and develop, and can save you in a pinch. Also give you something to do during the evenings when prepping for a trip! :)


On another note, I have figured out a way to signficantly boost the strength of Assist rigs using Kevlar, basically doubling the strength which I'll shoot a tutorial of soon and show you... certainly no rocket science, but definietly the way I will be rigging for the tropics from now on... took a little brain storming, but is super simple and works...

Great thread this, thanks for sharing all your guys thoughts.

Cheers
Nepps
 

fedu

Sealiner
Nepptune wrote:
Very interesting thread this.... Mark I particularly enjoy hearing your input, and yours Fernando as you guys are both very dedicated anglers, who both do alot of tghinking on the water, and off the water while preparing tackle and coming up with new ideas and techniques, its so great to have this info shared here with all of us...

And you buggers both get to fish a great deal more than most of us, so the details shared, are being proven on the water, and that counts for ALOT!

On to this PR knot issue.... I personally have never had a problem with the Leader damaging the braid as per your explanation Mark.... but thats of course not to say I'm disputing what you are saying obviously.... I personally have just never had it happen...

I usually ball the tag end of my PR knots VERY lightly...and my only reasoning to doing it is so that I have something to tie the half hitches up against.... I don't think the "mushroom" on the end makes the knot any stronger in truth... if the mushroom is your last line of defence, well then I think your knot is going to fail...

So a couple quick questions:

1 - When you burn the tag end, how long is the tag end you are burning? Reason I ask is, I'm wondering if the braid is getting heat damage in that area? I burn the tag end very lightely almost immediately after I have tied the first two half hitches to lock the wraps... so the tag is still pretty long, and I can protect the braid well from the flame.. Knowing how meticulous you are in tackle prep Mark, I can't see you damaging the braid with a flame, but thought I'd ask anyway.

2 - Are you tying your haldf hitches nice and snug up against the wraps after going over the balled end? If not, this area has the tendancy to work loose and possibly catch on one of the looser loops of the half hitches on the balled tag end.

3 - My immediate thought on reading your PR troubles was what you mentioned above, and thats having smaller fish attach the PR knot.... Best bet, take a black marker and colour the knot in, then coat it with wax ( lip ice or something ) which prevents bubble trails and getting slammed by small toothy predators.

ANyway, each to their own I guess, and I personally love the PR Knot, and will use it with confidence for sure as its proven itself to me....
I'd like to get into making a few wind ons myself, just for sh*ts and giggles too as I think they are a super useful skill to have, and develop, and can save you in a pinch. Also give you something to do during the evenings when prepping for a trip! :)


On another note, I have figured out a way to signficantly boost the strength of Assist rigs using Kevlar, basically doubling the strength which I'll shoot a tutorial of soon and show you... certainly no rocket science, but definietly the way I will be rigging for the tropics from now on... took a little brain storming, but is super simple and works...

Great thread this, thanks for sharing all your guys thoughts.

Cheers
Nepps
Nepps,

I think my initial problem with the rapala thinner braid was something like 2) , when I took "special care on the half hiches on the mono to braid transition" it ended.

The problem I had is that it's much more dificult to do this "protective" half hiches with thinner braid, after a couple of fish there would be a very very small "lack of hiches" space on the end of the mono braid transition.

this never hapenned on the regular jigging braid, only on this 40Kg rapala one, it's a 86lb line but much thinner than the regular PE8 jigging line.

P.S. - My camera is dead I cannot send a pic of it , at the momment.
 

Attachments

  • titanium braid.jpg
    titanium braid.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 111

Iman

New member
Thanks blaasoppie#1 for you reply, well I asked you because I cant find them in the web site ( I mean the blue rose).
 
Top