Lure fishing in Cape Town

Ben England

New member
Hi all,
   nice site you've got here. I am coming out to Cape Town on tuesday to visit family. I intend to chuck a few lures of the rocks at some of the deep water marks in the city area targeting species such as yellow tail, Snoek and possibly small tuna. Any info on the best spots to give this a go and the lures that are working at the moment would be great!!!

Cheers,

Ben

:wfish
 

I&J

New member
You will have to fish at the Waterfront Aquarium.

None of those species here at the moment. Perhaps if you go offshore. Yserfontein on the west coast.

 
 

barryfish

Senior Member
All the species are offshore, some far offshore, best to get a charter if you want to target these.
You can fish off the rocks at rooikrans for tail by Cape Point, though I would do a search here on the spot, as you would need to have some spinning experience, if you check the posts you will get a better idea, use the search.

Barry
 

fannie

Banned
There you go Ben, now you know why we have different provinces in SA.

Why don't you guys tell Ben what he CAN get instead of that he cannot get.

Geeeezzz... Cape Tonians ::jest
 

I&J

New member
Went out today. Started at Scarborough then to Misty Cliffs then to Kommetjie then to Noordhoek then to Glencairn. Nix, nada, not even a bite. No fish here.
 

I&J

New member
barryfish wrote:
All the species are offshore, some far offshore, best to get a charter if you want to target these.
You can fish off the rocks at rooikrans for tail by Cape Point, though I would do a search here on the spot, as you would need to have some spinning experience, if you check the posts you will get a better idea, use the search.

Barry
I would not recommend this spot as it is dangerous. Many people have fallen down and killed. Never mind the very difficult path at about 45 degrees slope to get there and to go back up. The ledge is not much longer than 2 meters and the drop is about 30m.
 

Ben England

New member
Cheers for the replies. I fished Cape Point on Good Friday on a family friends small ski boat. What a beautiful place to fish. Caught a 5kg Yellow tail. Chuffed.

:fswim
 

Smeds

New member
Howzit I&J, very curious about Scarborough / Misty Cliffs. There should be Gallie there because of the mussel banks, rough sea and water tempreture. Do you often fish those areas? I am in Noordhoek and travelling to Starndfontein, Macassar etc kills me to go fishing. Closer areas will do better for me for now.
 

I&J

New member
Smeds, I am a newbie at spinning but have tried my best at those places with no results.
Looking for alternate sites. Spent this Sunday at Swartvlei with no results although the guy next to me said that he caught 4 medium sized leeries the previous weekend  on the east side near the piles of tyres.
The vlei is full of grass but on the east side, it is clear.

Perhaps we could team up for some serious fishing. Perhaps past Gordons Bay. That is the best spot in this area.
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
Smeds wrote:
Howzit I&J, very curious about Scarborough / Misty Cliffs. There should be Gallie there because of the mussel banks, rough sea and water tempreture. Do you often fish those areas? I am in Noordhoek and travelling to Starndfontein, Macassar etc kills me to go fishing. Closer areas will do better for me for now.
when conditions are right plenty Galjoen are caught in the misty cliffs areas, i have not been there this season yet to check if the holes have opened up yet though!
 

Smeds

New member
Instead of spinning whny not bait up and see what comes out. Should be good. That would be great to meet up sometime and see what happens.
 

Smeds

New member
Dorado, with the rough sea that is already there I thought the holes would be open already? From when is it ready for action?:fishn
 

I&J

New member
Smeds wrote:
Instead of spinning whny not bait up and see what comes out. Should be good. That would be great to meet up sometime and see what happens.
Don't think my 9" Passion Stick rated at 2.5 oz can handle a sinker and bait for heavy surf.
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
Smeds wrote:
Dorado, with the rough sea that is already there I thought the holes would be open already? From when is it ready for action?:fishn
i have not checked, but i think we need a nice big storm! Have not heard anything from the backoven guys yet, prob still all closed up there too?
 

Smeds

New member
Thanks Dorado. When you hear from your mates please dont forget about me please. It would be great to have a place on my doorstep to go fishing::S. I am off to Langebaan for the long weekend and looking forward to it. Hope it's going to be good.

Looking forward to Daisy's report for the weekend.

Have a good weekend.

Ciao
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
Smeds wrote:
Thanks Dorado. When you hear from your mates please dont forget about me please. It would be great to have a place on my doorstep to go fishing::S. I am off to Langebaan for the long weekend and looking forward to it. Hope it's going to be good.

Looking forward to Daisy's report for the weekend.

Have a good weekend.

Ciao
will do, i dont really fish Mistys, stick to the reserve and soetwater, perhaps i can meet you there sometime for a gooi! I am heading back to angola next week back to work, but in 5 weeks i will be back and then ready for action and Galjoen should be going crazy!
 

Smeds

New member
Soetwater and Reserve is just as close which is cool. Would be great to "hook" up some time when you back from Angola.

Do you work on Oil rigs?

Have a good weekend.

Ciao.
 

Dorado75

Sealiner
Smeds wrote:
Soetwater and Reserve is just as close which is cool. Would be great to "hook" up some time when you back from Angola.

Do you work on Oil rigs?

Have a good weekend.

Ciao.
Yeah, i work offshore there, and catch plenty of plenty fish out there to keep me more than happy!
 
Top