Let me start by saying that I was very sceptical a

wp34

Sealiner
Let me start by saying that I was very sceptical about Iron Candy bullet spoons. I was under the impression that it was ,again, one of ESA's sponsors and they were raving over them for the sake of sponsorship. I bought myself 2 about a month ago and forgot about them.(luminous v-back and blue flatback 2 ounce) Last night the South wind was blowing in the Strand(for a while anyway!) and I decided to go for a spin. Blakes beach was packed with kites and swimmers so I decided on my other secret spot. There were 3 guys there already (not so secret anymore, it seems!) whipping the water to a froth with 4-5 ounce spinners , with no success. I put on my v-back bullet and caught 4 shad in about 20 minutes. The other 3 guys nothing. I got the hairy eyeball from the other guys!! I changed to the blue flatback and caught another 7 shad. By now I was not the most popular guy on the beach and decided to make a move home and serviced my Trini50 with a couple of Spiced Golds!!! All fish were released and were about 25-35 cm long. I kept one which was badly hooked and he will become a slide bait soon. As soon as the K%K weather (rain) moves over.

Sorry ESA for doubting you (again!!)

Brian
 

camstaude

Senior Member
I used the pink candy spoon 1 ounce and caught a shad in plett the other day in very cold weather. nothing else was working so i guess that is more proof.
 

kraken

Senior Member
They work! I've caught leervis and yellowtail on them. All tackle stores should have them.

They're designed by Barry Wareham which is saying something........
 

Durran

Senior Member
Quick correction...the iron candy bullet sppons are the ones sold by Basil Manning and the ones ESA punt are called the "chase" bullet spoons which also work. I got a bluntnose/blacktip/longfin kingie on the chase spoons
 

Reefman

Sealiner
Durran is right. Basil Manning and Barry Wareham designed the Iron Candy spoons...

This is what they look like...

 
 

Attachments

  • IRON CANDY.jpg
    IRON CANDY.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 1,391

Reefman

Sealiner
And even better are Barry's GT Ice cream plugs rigged with Assist hooks off the back.
 

Attachments

  • GT ICE CREAM PLUGS.jpg
    GT ICE CREAM PLUGS.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 1,373

camstaude

Senior Member
Just a word of warning. the swivel attached to the iron candy spoon is not very strong. i would recommend replacing it with a power swivel of some sorts.
 

wp34

Sealiner
I got mine at Strand Sport and Strand Sport at Somerset Mall. The 2ounces were R45 I think. I throw away all packaging with prices on before the wife sees it!!
 

kraken

Senior Member
camstaude wrote:
Just a word of warning. the swivel attached to the iron candy spoon is not very strong. i would recommend replacing it with a power swivel of some sorts.

Yeah, good point, and it surprises me that they would use such crappy hardware on such a good lure.

I was changing lures and when seating the knot on the swivel, it simply snapped. Not good and even worse when it happens during a pull!
 

Reefman

Sealiner
wp34 wrote:
I got mine at Strand Sport and Strand Sport at Somerset Mall. The 2ounces were R45 I think. I throw away all packaging with prices on before the wife sees it!!
Brian you're such a tjopp!
 

Attachments

  • LMAO 2.jpg
    LMAO 2.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 1,345

wp34

Sealiner
Ek is nie bang vir my vrou nie , net versigtig!! My German is quick to enquire about any purchases made!!! "these old spinners , Ive had for a long time!"
 

wp34

Sealiner
kraken wrote:
They work! I've caught leervis and yellowtail on them. All tackle stores should have them.

They're designed by Barry Wareham which is saying something........
Andrew, did'nt you get smoked on Struisbaai harbour wall earlier this year using a Bullet spoon?? Friday night before the comp?
 

wp34

Sealiner
kraken wrote:
Yup! I sure did! This time I'll go with more line.........
Bigger reel as well!! What was that 2500 size? Eish that thing picked a spot on the horizon and never stopped!! I still think it was a Yellowtail not a Garrick. Thats my story and I stick to it!!
 

kraken

Senior Member
Yeah, reel was a bit small! That's murphy though! Always hits you when you least expect it!

I'm leaning more towards big leerie. It stayed on the surface the whole time whereas a 'tail tends to play dirty.

Who knows though! It sure as hell gave me a boner........
 

khan

Senior Member
The Chase Bullet Spoons.

These have been chased all around Kzn recently. Kingies cant leave them alone and shad just love them as well.

The workmanship on these are brilliant, quality swivels as well and mustad ultra thin big gun hooks used.
 

Attachments

  • chase bullet spoons.JPG
    chase bullet spoons.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 1,314
Top