Just stopped in at Kingfisher to get a a few heavy

Streak

New member
Providing you have the necessary import permits, pay the duty and the vat, there is nothing locally stopping anyone importing anything they like and selling it here.

(Selling fake goods is illegal however).

If one of these products is one that you are the official distributor of then you need to take it up with your suppliers and they need to close the hole.

Try and import products like Maglite or Garmin for re-sale here and see how fast you get blocked. Why? Because they have very good relationships with their suppliers who stand by their distributors worldwide.

Many lcoal distributors will honour an international warranty providing you can show that you paid duty and vat on the product when importing it into the country. Many however will not honour the warranty and like it or not, they do have a right to do this. It's all about their FOB costs, advertising allowance, warranty relationship with the principals etc. etc.

Knowing this you need to decide if the saving of importing yourself and carrying your own warranty is cheaper than paying a bit more and buying locally.
 

Dingleberry

Senior Member
Van, the only thought you've put into your posts is one sided and flawed. The South African consumer has for long been subjected to greedy retailers. Times are hard and many are battling to find the extra cash to pursue their pastime. How you justify marking up of old stock clearly illustrates the prevailing mindset. I, for one, can quite easily accept that costs do escalate during these times and would definitely not expect a dealer to subsidise new stock - that would be ludicrous! However, your attitude of "that's the way it is - ACCEPT IT!" stinks. Please PM me the details of your store so I and my numerous fishing buddies can avoid it in future. 
 

neilg

Sealiner
So I may advertise that I "grey"import all popular tackle

I may just not say that it's Shimano or Daiwa or Penn ...
I may even show a pic, as long as I don't say the name ...
 

Loams

Sealiner
I have been reading this thread again decided to do a 2 minute exercise....

Literally, one search in Google...Nothing special... I only looked in the States

At http://www.cabelas.com you'll find Berkley Gulp! Saltwater Swim and Jerk Baits for the price of $5.99 to $6.99 at the exchange right now of R9.88 that works out to R 59.18 to R 69.06 each!!! Last time I checked at a fishing shop, you were lucky to get them for under R110.00

Berkly Gulp alive tubs at http://www.fishusa.com = $19.95. That is R197.106. In Cape Town these retail for close on R300.00... In JHB, R260 if you are lucky!!!

http://www.basspro.com offers Berkley Gulp Alive Sandworm $12.94 (Also the tub) That equals less than R130.00

These are not retailers... these are shops like Angling corner, MIAS et al.

Dude, that's with a rand that has fallen more than R2 to the dollar overnight..... Before that..... Well, you do the maths..

I understand that shipping is not calculated in these prices, but the difference it makes when buying bulk is not as a factor as when you order a packet or ten. Besides, I have friends and family in the states, friends in Holland, Friends in the UK, Australia and so on and on... To ask them to grab me ten packets and bring it in wont be a problem

Now, I am not even hinting that you or your business are putting up unfair margins..... But us, the fishermen, we are getting screwed by somebody! And we are not screwing ourselves.... Well, then again, maybe we are by not ordering these products online until your industry decides to pull yourselves together.
 

dugongboy

Sealiner
[color=#006600]Loams[/color] wrote:
..... But us, the fishermen, we are getting screwed by somebody! And we are not screwing ourselves.... Well, then again, maybe we are by not ordering these products online until your industry decides to pull yourselves together.
I agree 100% Loams   -  and have to revert to my previous comment from earlier in this post - Van the Fisherman please answer! - "Four years ago I bought a new TLD 15 for R800, why hasen't it gone up to R2000? In fact I can probably get one for R900 and I can tell you that they sell a whole lot more ondas than TLD's."!!!!! (ondas have gone from about R40 to nearly R110 in the past 4 years)

somebody...............somebody who???


You forget that a lot of people on this forum are not just subsistence fishermen with a std 2 education or hobos who sleep under the piers.......a lot of the guys run their own businesses (manufacturing, retail and importing incl.), are professionals in all sorts of fields or hold good positions in established companies...........whatever ..........but I can tell you one thing.........we are not stupid !!!!!!
 

Gerhard

Sealiner
I bought a Shimano Stradic 2500FI on ebay.

When I got it it was brand new in the box but something was not lekker with the reel.

I took the reel with me to SA and walked into a very reputable tackle shop.

Told them its a brand new reel and I bought it on ebay and if they could help me and see what was wrong with it.

They took it out of the box. Gave the handle a couple of turns and walked to the reel rack and swapped my reel for a also brand new Shimano Stradic 2500FI. No questions asked.

Now that is BACK UP from a dealer in SA on a quality product....

I work long and hard and I decide where I want to spend my money. If the tackle shops in SA do not supply me with what I want or they are in for the ride on the gravy train...

Boet then I take my hard earned money and spend it where I feel I get the best deal. If its on a TLD 15 in the US or Berkley Gulp 5 inch minnows in Australia it does not matter because I pay the shipping and you would be surprised that I still pay less than what I would have paid for the same item in some tackle shops in SA....

Dont take me wrong there is some great shops that I always feel welcome when I walk in and I always walk out with more than I wanted to buy...

But at the end of the day its my money and no agent is going to tell me where I can buy and where not.
 
Top