I would like to hike a long way up the coast and o

Marxx63

New member
I would like to hike a long way up the coast and on the way catch a cray or 2 for lunch. i cannot carry nets, diving or heavy stuff, but have heard about a sinker device with hooks attached to piano wires used in the dolosse in KZN.Apparently you attach the bait to the sinker and wires. Does anyone know the design, or where to buy?
 

pringle

Sealiner
Best bet would be to make a steel ring, tie it your line whether it be on handline or rod, rod is a better bet though as it has some give in the tip. Fill it with limpets or fish heads and drop it in gulleys and crevices.

You will feel crayfish yanking on it and then lift them out the water, its literally that easy. Another option is an onion or orange bag with bait inside, same concept.

Will make for easy carrying. Hope this is of help.
Enjoy!
 

Francois13

Senior Member
Marxx63 wrote:
I would like to hike a long way up the coast and on the way catch a cray or 2 for lunch. i cannot carry nets, diving or heavy stuff, but have heard about a sinker device with hooks attached to piano wires used in the dolosse in KZN.Apparently you attach the bait to the sinker and wires. Does anyone know the design, or where to buy?
hike in SA in this day and age?!
 

Francois13

Senior Member
Marxx63 wrote:
Geeeez... and i logged in for that reply?
Marxx63, if you are ref to my post...

logging in is not such a mission is it?

anyway, I think my post should not be overlooked! if you do decide to hike a long way up the cost, just be carefull! if you are mugged it wont be that funny...
 

Marxx63

New member
I am not 12 any more, live 1500km from where you live and know where to hike. But I was hoping to get some help with the jig so thanks to the guys that gave the advice.
 

Francois13

Senior Member
Marxx63 wrote:
I am not 12 any more, live 1500km from where you live and know where to hike. But I was hoping to get some help with the jig so thanks to the guys that gave the advice.
Could have fooled me, with such a childish reply I would take you as much older than 12!!
 
I was busy giving a friendly warning IDIOT...
 
I see that you have only joined the forum 4 days ago, if you have been here long enough you would know exactly what is happening on our coastlines!
Nevertheless, enjoy your hike...:swear
 

pringle

Sealiner
Easy there guys- Marxx francois is only expressing caution. Nobody is questioning your abilities as a hiker or trying to tick you off.

As a newer member you will become acustom to this, guys look out for each other here as a result of the many problems with safety invloved in fishing/outdoors.

Back to the crayfish, Yzerfontein is a safe bet if you can fish rocky areas. Right at the rocks by the harbour as long as you dont fish in the harbour.

If you want to hike, why not make a mission to bettys bay? do a hike through Harold Porter (stunning place) and then make a plan for a few crays.
 

braailegend

Senior Member
Lets not let the thread go in that direction. I've found the people in the more rural areas along the coast is very friendly.

For the crayfish jig, I know some locals use it on kalkay harbour wall. It basicly a sinker with about 10 hooks at the bottom of it. bait will be placed inside this ball of hooks. When the feel the bite they'll pull it up. Cant find a picture of it now, but will look.

It is not a very effective way of catching crayfish, ill rather take a snorkel, mask and some stockings. Put your bait into the stockings and leave it a while. Check it later, and pick off the crayfish from it. Their legs get stuck in it.

Don't think these methods are legal.
 

ever ready

New member
Your tone is offensive and a grown man doesn't need to be babysat and besides you don't know what's happening 1500kms away. What does a Pretorian know about the coastline anyway?
 

AYOBA!

Sealiner
I am one and I know quite a lot, and I have learned just as much from SL, can not wait for the next trip...
 

camo shorts

Senior Member
ever ready wrote:
Your tone is offensive and a grown man doesn't need to be babysat and besides you don't know what's happening 1500kms away. What does a Pretorian know about the coastline anyway?

Any idea where this resurection of an old topic comes from?
 
I have over 20 years experience catching crays on the west coast. Please do not use ANY hooks on a cray rig! It will rip even the undersize crays to shreds! Use only a big snoek hook ( withe point filed off) if you must. Load it up with limpids and use that to ge the crays to "sit" (read feed) on the bait then lift the slowly to the surface. When you see them the give the line a solid yank towards yourself and the cray should come out in your direction. A tip is to wear an old jersey when doing this so that when you catch it against your body it sits vas. I know this sounds crazy but we did this as kids in Paternoster and it worked! You miss far for than you catch but it is a total jol!!! Was taught to me by the kids from the village! Can also forsake the hook for a ring of cable armour wire filled with limpids. Try not to use a sinker for obvious reasons!!!!
 

Simen

Sealiner
Come on guys, youre new, and the older guys are just trying to help and give sound advice

 

remember I AM WATCHING YOU!!

ADMIN "S"

 
 

Attachments

  • aCo_BigNo.gif
    aCo_BigNo.gif
    67.2 KB · Views: 395
ever ready wrote:
Your tone is offensive and a grown man doesn't need to be babysat and besides you don't know what's happening 1500kms away. What does a Pretorian know about the coastline anyway?
Registered today and this is your first post! Welcome to the site...
 
I just joined this forum to get information and to share but I think this is not constructive. Maybe I should not use this site anymore.

Ps. I know it is nowhere near you guys but I got robbed early Saturday morning at Tugela river mouth. Not a cool feeling.  


 
 
Vasbyt Chris Vasbyt wrote:
I just joined this forum to get information and to share but I think this is not constructive. Maybe I should not use this site anymore.

Ps. I know it is nowhere near you guys but I got robbed early Saturday morning at Tugela river mouth. Not a cool feeling.  


 
Sorry about that! I know there was a problem a couple of years back there. Did this happen this past weekend?
 

JVW

Senior Member
Sorry to hear that Chris-but please stay on the forum.

I am heading to Tugela end April-so thanks for the warning.

I think we should fish in groups-they are cowards and will only attack individuals.

Jannie.
 
Top