I was at the tackle shop and stumbled on what I th

Jim - FL

New member
I was at the tackle shop and stumbled on what I thought was a deal that could not pass up. An Accurate Boss 870 2-Speed for $426 USD and an offer to spool with with 65lb power pro for $20 USD. So I whipped out the credit card and brought it home. Here are some pics.

img0661s.jpg


img0660e.jpg


img0659bo.jpg


I would like to get some opinions on this reel, any positive or negative feedback would be nice.

Also, I'd also like some jigging rod suggestions. My supply is a kinda limited in the states.

 I did find varandy selling the 2010 Kojak Custom 350 on ebay. Right now it looks like that rod is at the top of the list, maybe even the 250. With a Jigging Master T-bar to match.

Again, any positive or negative is appreciated.

Thanks!!!
 

tackle whore

Senior Member
2010 kojak is a good rod , check out synit rods - synitusa on 360 tuna is the contact person very sweet rods .why not go for the accurate jigging rods as well ?
 

Pargo Man

Sealiner
BIG Jim, you cut a really good deal on a profoundly overengineered reel.

I am not certain, that it's a preowned; rather the changing program of Accu Boss to Boss extreme (beefed up bearings and breaks) in the US should have brought the price down.

That ACCU 870 reel was on my shortlist, before I went for the Alutecnos Gorilla 12c, just a little smaller and narrower than your Accu. 65 lbs line was a good choice, a good 450 yds should have fit onto the reel, correct?

Depending on the water depth (and target species) you will jig in, you might want to go for a 350 rather than a 250 rod. I fish a overhead JSR 350 JigStar in mostly 300-400 feet water and I couldnt be happier. Our "front yard" Angolan AJ try to break my rod... in vain so far... The Kojak being the inproved JSR 350, go for it. It has two more guides (and an improved reel seat), which comfortably brings the braid away from the rod blank. US prices should be sweet. Tight lines Jim!

This all said, I am an uneducated "tourist" in Africa suffering not yet a year of jigging feeeever...
 

Attachments

  • big man with light rod.jpg
    big man with light rod.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 183

AndriesH

Sealiner
:welcomesea: Jim.

I actually had a look at the Boss 870 & Boss 665 wide spool last week from the local agents as an option for serious rock and surf fishing.

The 870 being comparable (in size only) to the 30 size reels and and the Boss 665 to the big boys in the game -  50 size and the like ( again, size only)

These are monster reels, with carbon drag washers, BOTH sides of the spool.
This prevents the spool from taking uneven strain and torque from the drag washers as compared to most other reels that have drag washers on one side only.

Line capacity - 870 = 50lbs @ 400yds, 6:1 ratio
Line capacity - 665 wide spool = 650yds, 65 lbs, 6: 1 ratio.

Enjoy the jigging and let us know how it goes.
 

ChrisW

New member
the 870 will match the JS Kojak 350 nicely esp with 65lb. These rods are priced in the medium bracket and represent high performance in a specialist jigging rod, the best bang for bucks you will ever see.
The high ratio gears might be a bit high to jig comfortably but you will eventually get used to it and benefit with the increased hits that come with higher retrieve speeds. The low gears are great for winching in your big prize and the reel will benefit with the JM T-bar handle.
 

Jim - FL

New member
tackle whore, I sent an email to synitusa to get a quote on the 350. The Accurate rod looks nice but I own a Trevala F rod which has the Fuji Reel seat with the trigger and was interested in trying an Alps without.
 
 
Pargo Man, I asked why they dropped the price, they said that they have not been moving any Accurate reels and needed to recoup the investment money so the sale was on until all of the reels are gone. But we both know it was because they were planning on getting the new BX reels in. So I went for the deal anyway knowing I could sell it if I need to and come close to breaking even.
 
Yes, he put some backing on it and then said he put 400 yds of braid on top. I agree on the rod size, I just love that red that the 250 comes in but as far as the performance, I will be fishing this rod in 300ft+ so I'll go for the 350 class.
 
 
AndriesH, thanks for the feedback on the reel. I'll definitely get you guys some updates and pics after I put it to the test.
 

ChrisW, thanks for the feedback on the Kojak. I love the high speed retrieve and cant wait to try it with this reel. This is my first two-speed so I am also anxious to try out "the winch".
 
Thank you all for the feedback!   It is very much appreciated!
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
I must say I am very new to jigging and being from the Cape the opportunities (and variety) are pretty limited. That said the only thing I love more than the Wife and Boy is tackle and of late I have been salivating over my next target a cdecent jigging setup. I am lucky enough to have a brother in law who has a spot and boat in Seychelles and Bassa lookson fo next year so it may just get a good working. Must say top of the list is a big Dogtooth or GT :)

Right a long intro but having trolled ebay and all the international forums my choice eventually is the Accurate BX 600NN. This is a one speed (4:1) so I rekon comfortable with plenty power to boot. The price is $469 plus another $80 for shipping and customs. All in all a swee deal and it look the bomb. 60lbs of drag although that is not important, upgraded gears, very narrow and it can do around 400metres of 80lbs braid.

That said I seriously considered the magnum range. I really cannot see the gearing impacting anyone other than the most extreme commercial type guys. And boy do they look sweet.

Your thread is really cool because the next question is what rod. Whilst the children will probably live in poverty I cannot put it on anything less than a really cool stik. Was considering the JSR 300 - but probably a little light. Will be chatting to Neptune when he is back to see what he says.

 
 

Attachments

  • bx600NN.jpg
    bx600NN.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 163

ChrisW

New member
BluFlu, rod choice is generally determined by jig weight which in turn is determined by water depth.
A rod match to the BX600 with PE8 would be something heavy eg 400 - 500g. A 350g rod would be a tad light. Check out JSRK450, JM400,450,500g rods. If these are too heavy then look to buy the BX500 with PE5 and match it to a 300-400g rod.
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Thanks ChrisW.

Have just gone on a little reccie and my narrowed choice is as follows:

Shimano Blue Rose XH - rekon with some persuation can get this for around R3500.

Kojak 450 - R3300

JSR 450 - R2700 (I think)

Which one would my colleagues suggest?
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Hi Bluflu - do the Jigging Master PE reels not interest you ?

I wonder if the tackle you are looking at may be a bit on the heavy side - the 600NN being a PE8 reel for min 450g rod and for heavy jigs as Chris says.

For sure those heavy rigs have their place especially on Seriolli species in 100m where 400g is needed and heavy structure around.

Also, I think the Blue Rose you refer to is a 6 foot fod - the one you get in SA outlets. The Blue Roses I would look  at I dont think are available in SA - PM Mark (Blaasoppie) - he is an expert on the Blue Roses range ( and all other stuff availble out there...Hots,Carpenter, etc,etc) Now theres talk of these new Korean rods too - see thread by Kilsong on this forum.

For sure Jigstar, Jigstar Kojak, JM all great - just one point the Jigstar kojak has an ALPS seat and the old Jigstars a Fuji trigger seat ( the exact one Pargo man is fishing with in the pic above). A personal thing, but I am more comfortable with the old trigger seat - maybe coz its just what I am used to  - I know of others who prefer the new ALPS seat. You maybe need to feel both first. Neptune will have both models with him in Cape Town unless  the older models all sold.

Hope I havent confused the issue totally....one rig to cover most bases (even for good sized Dogtooth and GT (dont forget the seriolli off the Natal south coast)) .........a 350g rod and JMPE5/6 reel. 

 

 
 

BluFlu

Sealiner
Thanks for tha advice guys much appreciated.

Just put in an order for the BX600NN - love the look of the reel over the JM PE range to be honest. It is only an ounce or two heavier than the BX500 (680g) with the advantage that it narrower which will make it easier to use. The JSR 450 seems the gun for me :) Neps will get an order when he is back.

It is a heavier rig but I already have a nice 40lbs (Omoto VS10 (Rebranded Stingray Tigre 300) + Penn Torque TQ3080 (6.6.) rig and was looking at something on the otherside of the scale.

Won't be jigging exclusively for hours on end - and the advantage with the 600 is that if I get bored down here in the Cape and need some real pain I can always add a little sard chunk to the mix for yellowfin(not purist I know but I will definitely try and twist Neptunes arm to teach me how to jig for the buggers)
 

FREE THE FIGHTER

Senior Member
Blu, it may be an idea to put an anti reverse docking system into that Accurate if it hasnt got one, especially if you going 450 rod and PE8 line.  Jigging Master used to make them specifically for the Accurate but your guys to speak to would be ChrisW or Kilsong on this.

It would give you peace of mind and help that AR bearing as well.

A short story - I know of a guy who was putting max drag on a Dogtooth with a Trinidad - the AR bearing packed in completely and  the handle started going in reverse as he couldnt hold it - he had the rod under his arm and the handle rapped up in his T shirt - he had heavy line on,  is a tiny guy and lost his footing - luckily he had a big strong angler next to him who grabbed him and held him else he may have  gone over and it couldve been a very sad story !!!

The AR docking system will be your backstop - the JM PE reels come standard with these now and certainly give me comfort.
 

ChrisW

New member
BluFlu wrote:
Shot - will do the suitable enquiries. I am not little but that just implies I will sink faster!

If the JM Docking system is in your sights then you need to send the reel to JM in Taiwan for installation. This takes machine shop time.  You might as well ask about a longer crank arm and ergonomic T-bar handle. 

The Boss is a good reel but there are some great reels available around the same price that are much better for jigging and live baiting that have all this stuff built in.  Researching reels would have been a good idea to avoid a possible conflict later due to poor reel choice now.

Sorry bro but you should have asked the forum. 
 

Jim - FL

New member
So I decided to go with the Kojak 350, The rod feels great, it looks insane, they are an Excellent fit and I cannot wait to put it to the test. I am very satisfied with my decision. I'll post updates on any catches.


dsc003512.jpg
dsc003522.jpg
dsc003532.jpg
dsc003542.jpg


dsc003552.jpg


dsc003572.jpg


dsc003582.jpg
 
Top