I want to start jigging but il only be able to aff

BigMatt

Sealiner
I want to start jigging but il only be able to afford one setup...

i dont want to go to light or too heavy...so im looking for a mediumish setup...no stellas yet but i need it to last...

trevella and a torium?

your advice/ideas are much appreciated

thanks

BM
 

royboy

Sealiner
Hey BM, I think a Trevalla with Torium will do A-OK. Very OK in fact. At least Medium-Heavy.....or if you can find one, a Shimano Beastmaster MH 85-200g (slightly cheaper than the Trevalla), but at least as much backbone. Charles Stewart has caught a number of respectable Doggies on his Beastmaster, so that is as good a reference as one could expect. And it won't break the bank....

Nepps can add to this, he really knows wtf he is doing when it comes to VJ.

Cheers, RB
 

surfaMIKE

Senior Member
Geez bru....You gonna spend some cash if you gonna buy that stuff....I mean how much does a torium go for? R1400? and the rod? R900? Eish dude....Thats partly why I wanna use our kp's cuz they are cheaper and will last longer than any other reel out there. But hey if you got the cash, go for it dude! I'll envy you greatly if you have that stuff in your stable
 

tkei

Sealiner
I have the beastmaster with torium and 80lb braid. works like a charm and not too expensive either. would lobve the saltiga/ stella/ torsa but the $$$$ are in short supply for fishing stuff. Very happy with my set up. hasve the med/ heavy beastmaster. gr8 all round. will upgrade to heavy when i next go to kenya or the like.
 
I'm in the same boat, no huge budgets. I'm puting together an Exceller 4500 Oceano with Daiwa 80Lb braid and a Beastmaster MH rod. I think this will surfice. Nice thing about this set up is it is good for Jigging, Spinning and even some scratching. In total a rig like this should not cost more than R2700.
 

royboy

Sealiner
tkei, I also have the Beastmaster Medium-Heavy with a Penn Torque 300 spooled up with 80lb Ande braid. Earliest chance I will get to use it in anger will be in the Cape in December (will be scheduling something with Nepps and the guys) as well as Weskus after the 16th December.

I also have my early christmas present en-route to SA(strangely enough a heavy jigging outfit), but more about that later once it's in my grubby mitts!!! Knowing Linda, that will only be after 25th December - she is very traditional, so patience is a virtue.......
 

Lunatick

New member
BM, I have the speedmaster (between the beastmaster & travella)medium heavy and use it with a torium 30 and 80lb braid, with jiggs up to 200g! Don't use jiggs heavier than that, you loose a lot of action! The heavy rod is nice if you know there are a few monsters around, but you have to up your jigg to 300g or more, the 200g jigg do not even bend the tip, but that is a serious workout!
 

Hooked

Senior Member
For what its worth consider the Fin-nor off shore star drag conventional.

Due to its larger spool diameter it has a faster retrieve than the Torium , it is definatley built tougher and if you buy it from whaler on this site it comes with Carbotex drag washers fitted standard.

 
 

Hooked

Senior Member
Contact Whaler , I believe he is having a " grey sale " and is currently selling them below cost.PM me and I will give u his number
 

sparky

Senior Member
hey big matt. also in the same boat ,so to speak. did'nt want to spend a fortune on a jigging out fit, so shopped around and got the following:
-evolution gt jigging rod by kingfisher (150-250g)on special for R375
-penn spinfisher 850 reel from 'reel repairs' jhb. they are penn agents & have the reels for R500 (open box)
-spooled with 270m of 60lb suffix braid ,R300 fishermans warehouse, durban.
decent enough set up to start,at good prices, i think.
hopefully get to test the kit early in the new year & will give a more informed opinion.
 

sparky

Senior Member
hey big matt. also in the same boat ,so to speak. did'nt want to spend a fortune on a jigging out fit, so shopped around and got the following:
-evolution gt jigging rod by kingfisher (150-250g)on special for R375
-penn spinfisher 850 reel from 'reel repairs' jhb. they are penn agents & have the reels for R500 (open box)
-spooled with 270m of 60lb suffix braid ,R300 fishermans warehouse, durban.
decent enough set up to start,at good prices, i think.
hopefully get to test the kit early in the new year & will give a more informed opinion.
 

mo-manack

New member
i just got a new jigging setup which wont hurt the pocket,ats the salina 80 with the new Cedros jigging rod from okuma loaded with sure catch braid,500m 45lb..what beauty.i think thats a great combo for guys on a budget..i see the combo is going for 1700,but m sure can pick it up little cheaper..
 

Andre Laas

Sealiner
Hi BM

I got the Trevala 6" mh spinning rod and coupled it with an Okuma Salina 65S and Rovex braid. The combination feels awesome, and so far I am impressed, but my best catch on it so far is a couple of live baits.

I tried spinning with it, but got a couple of bunches in the braid.... although I think I may have found the problem.... wound it on wrong according to what I could read up.

Tell you what, organise us a social and I will bring my kit along for you to feel out? 
 

neilg

Sealiner
BigMatt
why do you want to use a multiplier for jigging ?
I know some people swear by it, but me personally prefer a spinning reel for this (any many other) purpose.

I have a Shimano BeastMaster Med Jigging Rod (Grinder Jigging Rod), rated 85-200grams, very nice ... about R 800
I have a Poseidon Light Jigging Rod, can't remember the rating, MUCH NICER, goes for about R 650-700

On my Med rod I have a Stradic 8000 filled with 50lb PowerPro braid, about 300m of it. GREAT BLOODY REEL/

Personally I would suggest a Medium Poseindon Rod, a Stradic 8000 and 50lb Powerpro braid.

Reason I recommend it, I believe the Poseidon Rod is a better buy than the Shimano, the Stradic is PRETTY DAMN AMAZING AT THAT PRICE and you looking for a thin BUT STRONG braid.
More or less prices
Rod - R 700
Reel - R 1600
Braid - R 500
So that's a total of about R 2800 for a REALLY NICE setup.

My setups
Beast Master Heavy with Spheros 12000 (heavier jigging)
Beast Master Medium with Stradic 8000 (80-200g jigs)
Poseindon Light with Oceano 4500J (up to 150g jigs and then heavy dropshot)
 
Top